Middle school NASAT type thingy bob.

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
QuizBro
Lulu

Middle school NASAT type thingy bob.

Post by QuizBro »

I'm going to keep this simple, a middle school NASAT or NASAT type tournament sounds fun. Wondering what other Quiz Bowl players thought about this.
Brodie Henry
West Point High School (2020-25)
Former player for West Point Intermediate and Middle Schools

“Two roads diverged in a yellow wood. I didn’t take either of them. There might be squirrels.”
CPiGuy
Auron

Re: Middle school NASAT type thingy bob.

Post by CPiGuy »

This would probably be difficult to organize. Many states have much less of a central organization at the MS level compared to the HS level. While such a tournament probably wouldn't require a custom-produced set like NASAT does, it would likely face a lack of interest (I'd be surprised if more than ten states had any interest), exacerbated by the fact that middle school players tend to be less "plugged in" to the national circuit than high schoolers.

Maybe IQBT can expand downwards in a few years, who knows? It's probably not going to happen anytime soon, though.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Monstruos de Bolsillo
Wakka

Post by Monstruos de Bolsillo »

Conor's probably right about the lack of interest. IIRC, NASAT's breakeven point was with more teams than that, though it did necessitate the creation of a separate set, which might not have to be the case here. I would think that most states do not have enough of a developed MS circuit to the point that it would be something of a sham national, with very few states participating.
Alex Sankaran
West Chester '17-'21
Henderson (PA) '12-'16
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Even if there was a critical mass of national quizbowl organizations to support the creation of a junior NASAT... When are you playing it? July?
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------