2020 NAQT IPNCT: CANCELED

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

2020 NAQT IPNCT: CANCELED

Post by Important Bird Area »

Edit: this tournament has been canceled. Please refer to our statement about public health and the cancellation of the 2020 IPNCT.
naqt.com wrote:NAQT's annual championship for solo players, the Individual Player National Championship Tournament (IPNCT), will be held April 5 at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare hotel near Chicago. The 2019 IPNCT was also held at this site.

NAQT is delighted that LetterOne is returning as the presenting sponsor of our IPNCT.

The field for the High School Division is limited to 120 players. The field for the Middle School Division is limited to 72 players. NAQT may expand the field depending on the level of interest and the availability of facilities and staff.
Full details

Current field
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

Re: 2020 NAQT IPNCT: April 5, Chicago

Full details for the 2020 NAQT IPNCT are now available and registration is now open. [edit 3/12: removed registration link as we are now unable to accept registrations]

Please note that we require each player's parent/guardian to sign a participation release for the player. Read more here.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Is there any concern about the low number of registered players, particularly in the Middle School Division? Or, do most people wait until much closer to the event to register?
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Important Bird Area

We are committed to running IPNCT no matter the field size. That being said, we do expect the number of registrations to increase substantially (especially as we reach out to potentially interested players).

[edit 3/12: this tournament has been canceled]
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Excellent news!

Thank you. We will see you there.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Important Bird Area

I'm pleased to announce that we have expanded the field for the high school division of the 2020 IPNCT to 130 players.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

... make that 140 players, actually.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Re: 2020 NAQT IPNCT: CANCELED

naqt.com wrote:NAQT and LetterOne regret to inform the quiz bowl community of the cancellation of the Individual Player National Championship Tournament, which had been scheduled to take place April 5, 2020 at the Hyatt Regency O’Hare. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak, we determined that hosting an event with a national field at this time would pose an unacceptable risk to the health of attendees and their communities.

All registered players who have already paid will receive a refund. No cancellation fees will be charged for the 2020 IPNCT; cancellation fees we have collected will be returned.

We know this decision is disappointing to everyone who was looking forward to competing at the 2020 IPNCT. We hope that everyone in the quiz bowl community stays safe and healthy, and we look forward to seeing all of you at future NAQT events.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

HSQuizBowlNeedsCompMath
Kimahri

Post by HSQuizBowlNeedsCompMath »

Is there a chance that the tournament will be made up in the early fall assuming that COVID-19 settles down by then? I know that this could happen for NHBB.
Liam Starnes
Barrington MS-Station ‘17
Barrington HS ‘21
Captain of the 2017 IESA Class AA State Championship Team
Important Bird Area

What I said in the ICT thread applies here as well. Ideally, we would like to reschedule, but it's difficult to plan because we don't know exactly when we should plan for. If we do manage to reschedule, I'll post here, but for now this announcement should be considered a cancellation rather than a postponement.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Another limiting factor with any tournament that hopes to reschedule and their ability to do so is all of the other things out there hoping to reschedule as well.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator