Announcement About the Future of NASAT

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Cheynem
Sin

Announcement About the Future of NASAT

Post by Cheynem »

Hello:

This is a (brief) announcement about NASAT going forward.

HSAPQ has tentatively agreed on a deal to sell the rights to the NASAT tournament to Fred Morlan. Fred has a lot of experience running good quizbowl tournaments and has previously served as head of PACE. Obviously Fred will have more to say soon about his plans for the 2018 tournament, especially in terms of staff, partnerships, and tournament format. HSAPQ (the group, not necessarily individual members) will not be involved in decisions regarding NASAT going forward, aside from getting Fred to pledge that NASAT will continue running on good quizbowl questions.

You may ask questions in this thread, but I am not sure if we can answer a lot of them until the deal is fully complete.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: Announcement About the Future of NASAT

Post by AKKOLADE »

I just wanted to confirm that this is the plan.

I would love to confirm that the 2018 NASAT will be happening, but a few things need to fall into place before I can do that. Please stay tuned.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Antrobus63
Wakka

Post by Antrobus63 »

Good to hear, Fred, and hope you can pull it off this year. I know that you have a lot of experience and many contacts, so I am hopeful... but, frankly, I think that almost all of my fellow coaches have already given up on NASAT for 2018 and believe that I have been indulging in wishful thinking. We have had a five-person committee in mothballs for a while now, but won't be able to nudge the PA effort forward unless we are all persuaded, pretty soon, that NASAT 2018 is a sure thing.

Aside from the effort involved in the player selection process, we have found that some kids and parents want to know the logistical details WAY ahead of time, or they won't even try out. I am not as concerned as some other folk about travel, safety, etc. but I can attest, as parent, that many families have already planned their summers by now.

Anyway... even if you can't give us final details just yet, could you tell us what your drop-dead date is? My opinion is that it should be very soon (by the middle of February at the latest) but I'd be interested to hear what other people around the country say. Maybe other states feel that they can assemble teams and get commitments at a later date.
Peter Schmidt
Columbia '84, Yale '88
Coach, Moravian Academy History Bowl 2020-23
Lehigh Valley Academy 2016-18
Pennsylvania NASAT '15, ‘18, ‘22, '23
Owner and Teacher, Prepare Test Preparation
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I'll have more announced as soon as I can. I don't have a hard deadline for determining if it's viable just yet.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator