We Need New Games

Old college threads.
ErikC
Rikku

We Need New Games

Post by ErikC »

I am currently working on We Need New Games, a tossup-only side event about video games (primarily from the past 10-15 years, with a focus on popular games and series that are widely played) and other forms of games like board games, card games, and fictional games. Clues will focus on mechanics, competitions/e-sports, strategies, production, and the culture around games over clues about plot, easter eggs, and cheat codes. The difficulty will be fairly high.

As the set is still in early stages, I don't have a distribution set quite yet. Expect about 60% to 80% to be about video games and the rest to be "other" games. As mentioned, most (around 80% maybe) will be on recent games and series that I expect a fair amount of people to have played. This set will be a bit biased to things I like but should cover a wide variety of topics that people of all ages like.

Here is the distribution I ended up with, based on what I found interesting to write:

2 "Action" games
2 Card and goard games
1 Fictional games or whimsy
1 Fighting games
2 Shooters
1 "Indie" games
4 RPG games
1 Strategy games
6 Other and mixed genre questions (many genres that didnt quite get a full 1 slot will have multiple questions here, like MOBAs and simulator games)

This set is available for mirrors. I am asking for $10 (CAD or USD) per player. Email me at erikchristensenplan [at] gmail.com or PM me on Discord.
Last edited by ErikC on Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Erik Christensen
University of Waterloo - School of Planning Class of '18
Defending VETO top scorer
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: We Need New Games

Post by Mike Bentley »

As an antidote to this popular new game nonsense, I may convert my traditional yearly packet on old, obscure videogames into a slightly more formal ~4 round tournament. Depends how fast I finish other stuff. Stay tuned.

(Just to be clear, am excited to play any videogame tournament, unless it's an RPG tournament.)
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
ErikC
Rikku

Post by ErikC »

This is coming along a bit slow but is around 100 tossups done. I plan on having this played online in December.
Erik Christensen
ErikC
Rikku

Post by ErikC »

This event is finished! Shouts out to Paul Kasiński for helping me out by copy editing. I plan on having an informal Canadian mirror of this before opening it up to everyone for a second event in February or March (don't want to overlap with TOE JAM).
Erik Christensen
ErikC
Rikku

Post by ErikC »

Here's a signup link for the Canadian mirror on January 24, 2021: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing.

People outside of Canada interested in play will be able to play at a future date (with the questions improved from the first mirror).
Erik Christensen
ErikC
Rikku

Post by ErikC »

After the first mirror I've been working on diversifying the content in this set in response to feedback. It won't be mirrored until maybe June.
Erik Christensen
ErikC
Rikku

Post by ErikC »

I'm happy enough with changes to this set to make it available for mirrors, online or in-person when the situation permits. I may organize a poll to schedule an online event. I've also updated the OP with a distro.

Thanks to everyone who played the Canadian mirror who gave feedback and suggestions on how to improve the set.
Erik Christensen