BoPSS: Score Clues for Pop Music

Old college threads.
AGoodMan
Rikku

BoPSS: Score Clues for Pop Music

Post by AGoodMan »

After being inspired by my inimitable friend Michael Yue and his score clue parsing prowess, I'm excited to announce BoPSS, or Buzz on Popular Song Scores. The packet aims to be something similar to what Michael wrote for the Internet Charity Tournament, but for "pop" music as defined broadly.

Currently, the packet is shaping up to be something like 25-40 super-powermarked tossups of 8-9 lines in Times New Roman size 12. About 2/3 to 3/4 of each tossup will be strictly score clues, along with some other context clues (lyric clues, music video clues, references in other forms of pop culture, etc.) designed for conversion and whimsy.

I do not have a set distribution (nor do I think I ever will), but given my own taste in "pop" music, there will not be a high representation of hip hop/rap or country music. There will be some questions on famous movie soundtracks. Overall, I am trying to limit the vanity of the packet to how deep the clues are mined, and not how hard any answerline would be. This is a "pop" music score clue packet after all, and I am writing with the intention that the supermajority of players will be able to convert every tossup by the end.

I've never really done anything like this before, but my friends Michael Yue, Ricky Li, and Kelvin Li have been invaluable playtesters so far. I hope to have the packet done by the end of April and would love to read it over Discord at some point in May.
Jon Suh
Wheaton Warrenville South High School '16
Harvard '20
scorrevole
Lulu

Re: BoPSS: Score Clues for Pop Music

Post by scorrevole »

The ideas I've heard so far are very enjoyable and the answerlines are definitely accessible - this is a fun set that people should play!
Michael Yue
TJHSST '16
Harvard '20