Mixtape: A Guerrilla Popular Music Event for Charity

Old college threads.
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Mixtape: A Guerrilla Popular Music Event for Charity

Post by Ciorwrong »

Hello. I am please to announce Mixtape: A Guerrilla Popular (i.e. Trash) Music Event. Given that I am leaving East Lansing after this May and that I want to giveback to the community, all proceeds from this event will be given to The Greater Lansing Food Bank (https://greaterlansingfoodbank.org) which is part of Feeding America. The event will cost 15 dollars to those who do not submit a packet and it will be free to those who submit a full 20/0 packet. I of course recommend that people who wrote a packet will still donate to this good cause. This event is about sharing our diverse music interests through quality tossups and also about raising money for charity.

Submissions: People who wish to submit should first email me at harrisbunker AT gmail.com . This is to make sure that I have enough people writing packets. Additionally, I will send you a Word document that has a skeleton packetization that you can write your questions in. Submissions will be sent to this email address.

I’d like at least 8 and preferably more packets. I encourage people to team up and write with up to 3 other people if they so desire but please indicate who you’re writing with. If you are writing alone and can only write a half packet, please indicate so and try to fill out half the questions in each broad category if possible.

Each packet will consist of 20 tossups only. I would like to play as many packets as possible, so I will not edit the packets for clarity or repeats before I play them. After I play them, I am more than willing to clean them up and replace repeats. I’d like all submissions in by July 1, 2019 so this can be played at summer side event weekends.

I do not plan on cutting any questions, but please write your questions on reasonable answerlines. In general, I’d recommend against writing questions on albums of lesser-known artists. No one likes dead tossups on things like Blackwater Park even if it’s a great album. If you think a question “might” not get answered, try to incorporate some of the clues into a common link. In general, things that could come up at CO Trash are of course okay, but use your best judgement if you think your tossup would be hard for CO Trash or a similar tournament.

Tossups are to be at least six lines Times New Roman size 10 font and no more than nine lines. I’d recommend shorter tossups if possible but I understand this not always optimal. Please powermark your tossups.

Distribution:
-Please try to stick to this as closely as possible. However, it is after all a set of suggestions. If you want to fudge around the edges a little bit, feel free but at least try to stick with the theme of the category. For example, if you can’t write a good tossup in Pop 1980-1999, don’t write another Rock question. Cross category questions are perfectly fine and can fit in however you want.

Popular Music (4/0)
-1980-1999 Pop
-2000-2009 Pop
-2010- Pop
-Your choice Pop

Rock Music (4/0)
-Classic Rock (pre 1980)
-80s and 90s Rock
-Contemporary Rock (2000-)
-Alternative, Hardcore, Metal, Punk, etc.

Rap and R&B (3/0)
-Rap/Hip Hop (try to vary eras among the x2 tossups)
-R&B/Soul

Miscellaneous (7/0)
-Folk/Country
-Experimental Music (think like John Cage but not him)
-Musical Theater/Show tunes
-Electronic/EDM/House etc.
-Question on music from movies, TV, music videos, etc.
-Question on music or an artist not from Western Europe, the US or Canada
-Question NOT on an artist, song, album or country (try to be creative)

Grab Bag (2/0)
-Whatever You Want (x2)

A big thanks Erik Christensen for the tournament name and thanks to him and Kenji Shimizu for looking through the distribution. I hope we gets a good amount of submissions and that we can give a large amount of money to a good charity.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: Mixtape: A Guerrilla Popular Music Event for Charity

Post by AKKOLADE »

This is awesome.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

I will submit at least 10 questions to this, possibly a full packet, and will try my darndest to be somewhere nearby where/when it's played
Rachel
UChicago 09
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

This post is reserved for committed packets. If you want to mirror this, please send me an email with the date of your event. I will allow this to be mirrored until December, 2019 so this can be run after Fall 2019 events if desired.

-Me
-Taylor Harvey
-Chris Borglum
-Max Wallace
-Erik Christensen
-Nolan (half?)
-Eric Douglass
-Tim Morrison
-Purdue Quizbowl
-NYU Quizbowl
-Mike Cheyne
-William Golden
-Seth Kendall
-Aaron Dos Remedios
-Michael Wu et al.

Edit: I am very excited by all the interest in this. I hope to get packets from people in different age groups and other intersections of the quizbowl public.
Last edited by Ciorwrong on Fri May 10, 2019 7:08 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
TaylorH
Wakka

Post by TaylorH »

I plan on writing a full packet for this. This set sounds like a really fun idea!
Taylor Harvey (he/him)
ACF
University of Florida B.S. Nuclear Engineering '17
University of Florida Ph.D. Nuclear Engineering '21
2021 ACF Nationals Champion
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Consider this post a commitment to write a full packet. Maybe we can mirror the set at Valencia (Orlando) in conjunction with our August open tournament (at which we'll hope to mirror NASAT again).

PS--Those who are going to play should listen to some Drive-By Truckers so they can power one of my toss-ups.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
ErikC
Rikku

Post by ErikC »

I can confirm I am writing a full pack for this.
Erik Christensen
University of Waterloo - School of Planning Class of '18
Defending VETO top scorer
mrtyrmystry
Lulu

Post by mrtyrmystry »

ValenciaQBowl wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:38 am Consider this post a commitment to write a full packet. Maybe we can mirror the set at Valencia (Orlando) in conjunction with our August open tournament (at which we'll hope to mirror NASAT again).

PS--Those who are going to play should listen to some Drive-By Truckers so they can power one of my toss-ups.
love that band :)

I'm real excited to write a packet for this. In partial recognition of my sonic limitations, I'd like to team up with at least one other person, so no commitment until that's confirmed.

I am questioning, a bit, how Contemporary (2000 onward) Rock will be defined. Will it be the kind of hooky post-grunge pop punk pop rock "alternative" rock bands that Nirvana enabled and people call "generic" and critics don't really take seriously or will it lean more towards alternative revivalists that (in someone else's words) retain an aura of hip?... if those exceedingly general categories are specific enough.

I'm ready to fudge around the edges!... as little as possible, in the name of integrity, actually.
Michael Wu of ?? U
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

mrtyrmystry wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:49 am
I am questioning, a bit, how Contemporary (2000 onward) Rock will be defined. Will it be the kind of hooky post-grunge pop punk pop rock "alternative" rock bands that Nirvana enabled and people call "generic" and critics don't really take seriously or will it lean more towards alternative revivalists that (in someone else's words) retain an aura of hip?... if those exceedingly general categories are specific enough.

I'm ready to fudge around the edges!... as little as possible, in the name of integrity, actually.
The point of the genres is to be as general as possible. The Contemporary Rock genre subcategory is simply to encourage people to write on rock music (however loosely defined) that came out in more-or-less my lifetime. I am agnostic to the perceived quality of the music and I do not at all care about what a loosely-defined cadre of music critics think. Feel free to write on bands like Three Days Grace, The Black Keys, Greta van Fleet, Radiohead, etc.--all of which sound very different and appeal to different subsections of the population.

On the other hand, the alternative category is to encourage people to write on rock music that does not get significant radio play. For example, I wrote a tossup from FTP1 on the band A Day to Remember which is a popular post hardcore band. I'd also encourage people to consider writing about metal here. There are hundreds and hundreds of metal acts that people listen to (with likely larger non-American followings). I like to write about power metal which is probably too hard, but there is nothing wrong with tossing up like Ride the Lightning or whatever.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

I just wanted to say that I've been blown away by the support for this event! I have already gotten almost 10 people to commit to writing which is pretty great. I still would appreciate packet commitments especially from groups that are typically underrepresented among quizbowl writers.

I plan to send out a packet templates sometime after nats season.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

I can't commit for sure yet, but send me a template and I'll work on questions for this.

Edit: I'll commit to writing a pack.
Last edited by adosreme on Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I will write a packet that will appeal to the folks with bad musical taste such as myself, those who like bands such as Savage Garden, Wilson Phillips, and One Direction.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Cheynem wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:34 am I will write a packet that will appeal to the folks with bad musical taste such as myself, those who like bands such as Savage Garden, Wilson Phillips, and One Direction.
Hold on, I want you to know that those bands are just perfect.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

I'm not sure if I can commit to a packet, but I'd love to play this and think it's great to raise money for a good cause. Think there's appetite for an online mirror for folks who probably won't make it to a summer side event weekend?
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
Quinctilius Varus
Wakka

Post by Quinctilius Varus »

I will write a full packet for this.
William Golden
University of Texas at Austin '22
Scipio
Wakka

Post by Scipio »

Consider this a commitment for a full packet.
Seth Lyons Kendall
University of Memphis, 1993-1997
University of Kentucky, 1997-1999, 2000-2008
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

I have updated the second post with a list of committed packets. I'm probably going to cap the number of packets at 16 or possibly fewer depending on the quality of submissions. I am super excited that people are interesting in submitting and I hope people do not feel bad if their packets are combined so that mirrors can hear as many different packet authors as possible. It's likely that I will keep a "Raw_packets" folder around if people are interested in the raw questions.

Note: If you want to submit questions in only a smattering of categories, feel free to send me some and I will try to use them.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Duckk
Lulu

Post by Duckk »

I'll write a packet as well.
Seth Ebner
Johns Hopkins University '2x
Washington University in St. Louis '17
Charter School of Wilmington '13
Durkheimdall
Lulu

Post by Durkheimdall »

Progcon wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:43 pm I hope people do not feel bad if their packets are combined so that mirrors can hear as many different packet authors as possible. It's likely that I will keep a "Raw_packets" folder around if people are interested in the raw questions.
I wouldn't feel bad at all! But I'd want all the questions I submit to get used. I'd rather submit fewer questions than submit a full packet and not have all the questions get used.

Maybe I don't 100% understand what you're proposing, but it sounds like there might be some questions that appear only in the "Raw_packets" folder and not in one of the final packets. That seems like a waste since those questions could instead be cleaned up and used in a different tournament. I'm not sure how other people feel about this but it seems simpler to insist that all submissions be high quality.

I also wouldn't be opposed to re-packetizing the questions if you think it'd help smooth out the distribution. I don't think this is necessary but I don't feel it's important for my submission to appear intact.

For reference, I have 16/20 questions finished so far. I'm biased but I think the finished questions are good quality and could be used directly. Can send them over anytime, was waiting for the template. Thanks again for making this happen!
Max Wallace
Centennial HS (MD) '09, Indiana, Maryland '14
mazinomer
Lulu

Post by mazinomer »

Michael Wu, Jamie Faeder, Jason Lewis, and I are writing a full packet.
Mazin Omer
Ottawa Hills High School '19
Harvard '23
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

I will be sending out the templates tomorrow. Let me know if you still want to write!
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Templates were sent to the following people several weekends ago:

Harris Bunker
Taylor Harvey
Chris Borglum
Erik Christensen
Nolan (half?)
Eric Douglass
Tim Morrison
Purdue Quizbowl
NYU Quizbowl
Mike Cheyne
William Golden
Seth Kendall
Aaron Dos Remedios
Mazin Omer et al.
Seth Ebner
Max Wallace

Please sent me your questions if you are done or let me know if you aren't writing a packet. I'd like to get this all edited and shipped out before the mirrors in July.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
1mizfan
Kimahri

Post by 1mizfan »

Do you still need help writing for this?
Trenton K.
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Just an update. I've got one more question to write to finish a full packet. Assuming writer's block lets up I'll get it in very soon.
Rachel
UChicago 09
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

1mizfan wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:26 pm Do you still need help writing for this?
You are welcome to submit questions if you'd like.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I should have my packet in by Monday or so.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

L.H.O.O.Q.
Wakka

Post by L.H.O.O.Q. »

PUQB packet will be in sometime very soon, sorry about the wait.
Sarah Benner
Avon HS 2013-17, Purdue 2017-21
Unofficial QB Advisor for Purdue, Ohio State, and the State of Indiana

May refer to herself in the third person.
Scipio
Wakka

Post by Scipio »

I, too, will have my packet by Monday.
Seth Lyons Kendall
University of Memphis, 1993-1997
University of Kentucky, 1997-1999, 2000-2008
Amethyst
Lulu

Post by Amethyst »

Is there a possibility of an online mirror of this? I’d be interested in paying to play an online mirror.
Amith Punyala
Chattahoochee High School 2011-2015
Cornell University 2015-2019
WUSTL 2021-2029 (bruh)
crbirdx

Post by crbirdx »

Let me know if we could mirror this.
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Amethyst wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:08 pm Is there a possibility of an online mirror of this? I’d be interested in paying to play an online mirror.
I'd also love to hear an online mirror and would be happy to support a good cause or the people who have written packets.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Steeve Ho You Fat wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:37 pm
Amethyst wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:08 pm Is there a possibility of an online mirror of this? I’d be interested in paying to play an online mirror.
I'd also love to hear an online mirror and would be happy to support a good cause or the people who have written packets.
There will be an online mirror within the next two weeks. I have been busy with "math camp" which is an intensive program at the beginning of the PhD. Does Saturday and Sunday work for people? I will probably do like 8 packets each on a private Discord server. Payment can be directed to my Venmo or proof of donation is accepted.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
mazinomer
Lulu

Post by mazinomer »

There will be an online mirror within the next two weeks. I have been busy with "math camp" which is an intensive program at the beginning of the PhD. Does Saturday and Sunday work for people? I will probably do like 8 packets each on a private Discord server. Payment can be directed to my Venmo or proof of donation is accepted.
Works for me.
Mazin Omer
Ottawa Hills High School '19
Harvard '23
Durkheimdall
Lulu

Post by Durkheimdall »

Progcon wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:21 pm Does Saturday and Sunday work for people?
I'd like to play (packets other than the one I wrote) though I can't do September 28th or 29th.

Any other Saturday should be fine, same for Sunday before 4 pm ET.
Max Wallace
Centennial HS (MD) '09, Indiana, Maryland '14
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

After the online mirror, I'll have some comments on some of the questions; I reckon we can use this thread for minor discussion, as I don't suspect there will be a huge amount?

I will single out Taylor Harvey's and Mike Cheyne's packets as particularly good for me, by which I mean they were good toss-ups in general but had a lot of answers on bands/songs I really love. But all the packets were interesting (except for Seth Kendall's, which was an abomination afore the Lord).
Chris Borglum
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Progcon wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:21 pm
Steeve Ho You Fat wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:37 pm
Also interested in this.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

The online mirror will be Saturday September 21 and Sunday September 22. I will try to start at 6 pm Pacific or 9 pm Eastern. I will probably use a private Discord for his in order to try to encourage participants to donate. Please PM/email if interested.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

That's just because you're old, Chris Borglum!
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

I'll be on vacation that weekend - SAD!!
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

That's just because you're old, Chris Borglum!
Hmm, if your answers mostly indicate your music taste, looks like you may be catching up!
Chris Borglum
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Attention all: I have decided to revise this again. This Sunday, Sept. 22, I will be reading as many packets as possible starting at 6 pm Eastern or 3 pm Pacific in the normal Quizbowl Discord #packet room. I would highly, highly, encourage you to donate at least $10 to the Lansing food bank if you are planning on playing on the Discord. If you wish to email me your proof of donation, that works too.

I apologize for any inconvenience.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Progcon wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:09 pm Attention all: I have decided to revise this again. This Sunday, Sept. 22, I will be reading as many packets as possible starting at 6 pm Eastern or 3 pm Pacific in the normal Quizbowl Discord #packet room. I would highly, highly, encourage you to donate at least $10 to the Lansing food bank if you are planning on playing on the Discord. If you wish to email me your proof of donation, that works too.

I apologize for any inconvenience.
This happened. We read roughly half the packets. Here are the final scores (courtesy of Michael Wu):
TDB: 125
vpavao: 225
amith: 210
mazin: 105
mwu: 185
kenji: 165
jjtsai: 150
pinyan: 50
sbrochin: 220
mwallace: -10
wgolden: 170

Some people like Mazin left early and not everyone played every packet. I will try to do this again next Sunday at the same time and finish off the packets. A couple people donated to Lansing Food Bank which is awesome but I'm sure they would appreciate more donations.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Hey Harris, are you still planning on reading some more packets from this in a few minutes? I'm excited to join if so.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

I can do so absolutely. I'll start at 6 Eastern or 3 Pacific. Thanks for reminding me.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Packets are being uploaded to the archive. Let me know if there are any errors and I will fix them. I mostly edited for formatting and some grammar things.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Just as a heads up, it looks like the string "ten" got changed to "10" everywhere it appears (at least in my packet); so words like "content" and "often" appear as "con10t" and "of10"
Rachel
UChicago 09