TRASH @ ONCT (6/25/21)

Old college threads.
nicole.
Rikku

TRASH @ ONCT (6/25/21)

Post by nicole. »

I will be running an online mirror of Ohio Trash 2021 for High Schoolers on June 25th, 2021, in affiliation with the AQBL's Online National Championship Tournament. If you have any questions, contact me at [email protected]. The Field will be HS open. The tournament is intended as a way to get into the nationals weekend tournament by having the standard Friday night trash tournament all HS Nationals have.

Set:
We will be using Bob Kilner's Ohio Trash set. More info about the set can be found here

Distribution:
The distribution for this set is as follows:
4/4 Movies
4/4 Music
4/4 TV
4/4 Sports (1/1 Pre-2000 1/1 recent sports (last two years) 1/1 Post 2000)
2/2 Other
1/1 Internet
1/1 Advertising/Consumer Products/etc

Eligibility:
People in the Class of 2021 of High School or younger are allowed to play. Players are not required to play with members of their school. There will be a limit of 4 players per team.

Field cap:
Currently, there will be a field cap of 18 teams. Interested staffers can put their names in the spreadsheet. We will pay $25 to staffers.

Payment:
Will be done through Venmo or PayPal (either work). The tournament will be $50 and discounts can be provided if a team provides staffers. As well, teams with 2 or more players signed up for the ONCT will only have to pay $25.

Prizes:
A Pokemon Plush of up to $25 in value will be shipped to the top scorer at this tournament, as well as one member of the winning team (team decides or if no consensus is reached top scorer on that team will be picked unless that player was top scorer, in which case second scorer).

Teams can register via this spreadsheet. Teams can be composed of 1-4 players and we have a free agent list for any people who don't have a team.

Medium:
The tournament will be run on Discord. The server link will be emailed to teams a few days before the tournament.

Schedule: The tournament will start at 4:30 PM Eastern Time sharp (90% of schools are out for the summer by this point so we don't expect to have issues with west coast regions and school conflicts). We are intending to go through all 9 rounds tossup-bonus, with a 30-minute dinner break after Round 5. We will aim to be done by 12:15 AM Eastern Time/9:15 PM Pacific Time. With a full 18 team field, we expect to start with two parallel brackets of 9 before crossovers. Seeding will once again be decided by a team's collective favorite song from the 1980s.

We look forward to seeing you on the 25th on Discord!
Last edited by nicole. on Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nic Pruitt (they/them)

Founder of the Maine Quiz Bowl Alliance (MEQBA)
Bates College '25
Kings College London, Winter '24 Semester
Ridgewood '21
Director of Outreach, American Quizbowl League, Prometheus Science Bowl, and Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
Outreach and Technology, Florida Quiz Bowl Association
BobGHHS
Rikku

Re: TRASH @ ONCT (6/25/21)

Post by BobGHHS »

Set:
We will be using Bob Kilner's Ohio Trash set. More info about the set can be found here

Distribution:
The distribution for this set is as follows:
4/4 Movies
4/4 Music
4/4 TV
4/4 Sports (1/1 Pre-2000 1/1 recent sports (last two years) 1/1 Post 2000)
2/2 Other
1/1 Internet
1/1 Advertising/Consumer Products/etc
For what its worth, the distribution is very loose. We just use it as a guideline, but we definitely steer away from it at times. That said, we're almost done with the set. I have about 7.25/8 packets written, edited, and playtested, and Drew is more than halfway done with the ninth packet. If anyone else wants to run a mirror, shoot me an email at bk31883 <at> gmail.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
Woody
Lulu

Post by Woody »

Is there any chance that there will be an open division for this as well? I know there's at least one coach of a prospective ONCT team who'd enjoy playing this... :)
Jimmy Dunn
DeWitt High School Quiz Bowl 2004-2009
Michigan State University 2009-2013
DeWitt High School Quiz Bowl Coach 2017-present
Alkres
Lulu

Post by Alkres »

a true open segment of this would be most welcome
Alan Kreisel. FSCJ.
nicole.
Rikku

Post by nicole. »

this is still happening, I’m encouraging all olds who wish to play this to play Chuck Pearson’s mirror out near Knoxville, please sign up your group of high schoolers (either school affiliated or not) if you are interested
Nic Pruitt (they/them)

Bates College '25
Ridgewood '21
Director of Outreach, American Quizbowl League, Prometheus Science Bowl, and Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
BigCaleb
Kimahri

Post by BigCaleb »

Hello, I am a player hoping to play in the tournament. I put my team in the roster but it got deleted. Did I miss a step in registration? If someone could help me I'd be very grateful.

User was reminded to enable a signature - Mgmt
nicole.
Rikku

Post by nicole. »

Registration for this will close Wednesday June 23rd at 10 PM EDT, and the field cap is 16 teams, as well, due to rules of economics, i'm lowering the price of this tournament to $40 for non ONCT affiliated teams, it will still be $25 for ONCT Teams
Nic Pruitt (they/them)

Bates College '25
Ridgewood '21
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

The stats look great, and very similar to the Ohio sites in general. Hope you guys had some fun playing it!
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats