Speaking about Quiz Bowl at a middle school conference

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
romeokar
Wakka

Speaking about Quiz Bowl at a middle school conference

Post by romeokar »

I will be speaking at the annual NELMS (New England League of Middle Schools) conference in Providence, RI about the benefits of a Quiz Bowl program.
I would appreciate any thoughts, comments, or testimonials you have to offer.
Ken Romeo
Middlesex Middle School
Darien, CT
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: Speaking about Quiz Bowl at a middle school conference

Post by Stained Diviner »

Thanks to Marianna Zhang, PACE has put several testimonials on its Facebook page over the last year. We put together some of the highlights in a Why Do Quizbowl post on Quizbowl 101. Our focus is high school, but you might find it useful.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Here's my philosophy behind getting young students involved in quizbowl: if we really believe in getting students academically engaged outside of the classroom, then quizbowl offers a setting for students to be able to utilize their newfound knowledge. The activity inherently offers rewards to students who work above and beyond the confines of the traditional curriculum. It rewards knowledge of cultural diversity, of the arts and of important historical ideas and theories. If we can begin to reward these students early for their interest, they will likely continue to be intellectually curious as they continue their education.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

Not a testimonial, but if you manage to recruit any new coaches, I'm sure the high school hosts in the area would be excited to hear about it. Ambitious middle schools are always welcome at high school tournaments (as Middlesex frequently demonstrates), but middle school alums are also a great source of talent for new or reloading high school programs.
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF