Hypothetical: Three teams for three kids

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
a Joe
Rikku

Hypothetical: Three teams for three kids

Post by a Joe »

Question.

What if a school had signed up three teams, and on the day of, showed up with three players, one on each team? What are the rules surrounding that (if any?)

Truly hypothetical, I assure you. Just curious.
"THE" Joe Feldman
President, The Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
President, Suffolk County Community College Traveling Trivia Team
Founder, American Quizbowl League
President Emeritus, Smithtown High School West

Ask me how I (almost) monopolized Quizbowl
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Re: Hypothetical: Three teams for three kids

Post by Tippy Martinez »

Well then the tournament would have three solo teams
connor mayers
maryland
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

All the national-scope rule sets that I'm aware of say that's fine. (Some state-specific rule sets stipulate a minimum number of players required to play.) However, as tournament director, it's completely reasonable for you to say "you can't split up that much; it's hogging spots that other teams want / making it difficult to have a good tournament format / etc.—so you must play together (or with no more than two teams) or not at all."
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
QuestionCactus
Lulu

Post by QuestionCactus »

jonah wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:24 pm All the national-scope rule sets that I'm aware of say that's fine. (Some state-specific rule sets stipulate a minimum number of players required to play.) However, as tournament director, it's completely reasonable for you to say "you can't split up that much; it's hogging spots that other teams want / making it difficult to have a good tournament format / etc.—so you must play together (or with no more than two teams) or not at all."
I feel like if this is the policy it should be indicated beforehand (the OP mentions teams only revealing their triple-solo plan the day of the tournament). Suddenly changing the setup just as the tournament starts for schools that had otherwise followed the rules seems improper.
Arjun Panickssery (he/his)
President, American Quizbowl League