Hypothetical: Three teams for three kids

This forum is for discussing tournament formats, question styles, strategy, and such.
Snoopy
Wakka

Hypothetical: Three teams for three kids

Post by Snoopy » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:18 pm

Question.

What if a school had signed up three teams, and on the day of, showed up with three players, one on each team? What are the rules surrounding that (if any?)

Truly hypothetical, I assure you. Just curious.
"THE" Joe Feldman
President Emeritus Smithtown High School West
President Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance

connor.mayers
Lulu

Re: Hypothetical: Three teams for three kids

Post by connor.mayers » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:27 pm

Well then the tournament would have three solo teams
Connor Mayers
Penn Manor '20 Millersville '20 (d.e.)

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:24 pm

All the national-scope rule sets that I'm aware of say that's fine. (Some state-specific rule sets stipulate a minimum number of players required to play.) However, as tournament director, it's completely reasonable for you to say "you can't split up that much; it's hogging spots that other teams want / making it difficult to have a good tournament format / etc.—so you must play together (or with no more than two teams) or not at all."
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments

QuestionCactus
Lulu

Post by QuestionCactus » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:05 pm

jonah wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:24 pm
All the national-scope rule sets that I'm aware of say that's fine. (Some state-specific rule sets stipulate a minimum number of players required to play.) However, as tournament director, it's completely reasonable for you to say "you can't split up that much; it's hogging spots that other teams want / making it difficult to have a good tournament format / etc.—so you must play together (or with no more than two teams) or not at all."
I feel like if this is the policy it should be indicated beforehand (the OP mentions teams only revealing their triple-solo plan the day of the tournament). Suddenly changing the setup just as the tournament starts for schools that had otherwise followed the rules seems improper.
Arjun Panickssery [Clarke High School, NY]

Download QuizDroid on Google Play