Matt Weiner's "Studying for Quizbowl" presentation.

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
hokie168
Lulu

Matt Weiner's "Studying for Quizbowl" presentation.

Post by hokie168 »

I recently got permission from Matt Weiner to post the files to his excellent "Studying for Quizbowl" presentation. He intended it as a resource for new college teams and new coaches, and made it nearly plug-and-play by providing slides as well as a Word file to read from while showing the Powerpoint. It's the kind of resource that can propel four enthusiastic college freshmen to a top-bracket ICT or ACF Nats finish as seniors.

I've put in some italicized annotations to Matt's Word file to try to make his talk more appropriate for high school players. I'm sure there's stuff I missed, and there's definitely some coaching-related thoughts I considered elaborating on, but the presentation seemed long enough as is and I didn't want to detract from Matt's message. I would like to thank the following people for giving me feedback on my annotations: Jakob "Mod Me" Myers, Eric "The Prodigy" Xu, and Matt Bollinger, the Wrath of God.

(Note to Jakob, I don't actually want to be modded, nor do I know what I would do with mod privs.)
Attachments
studying-presentation-annotated-1.doc
(112 KiB) Downloaded 2292 times
studying-for-quizbowl.pptx
(6.43 MiB) Downloaded 1200 times
Dennis Loo
Former coach at TJ and IMSA
Former player at UVA and Virginia Tech
hokie168
Lulu

Re: Matt Weiner's "Studying for Quizbowl" presentation.

Post by hokie168 »

Just bumping this because it's the start of a new season, new players have had the chance to attend a tournament or two, and I think this could help a lot of teams.
Dennis Loo
Former coach at TJ and IMSA
Former player at UVA and Virginia Tech