How to Choose What Category to Specialize In?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
md006
Kimahri

How to Choose What Category to Specialize In?

Post by md006 »

For some background, I am an incoming sophomore, and I am currently the best player on my team, with our best player graduating last year. This isn't too impressive as my team is not very competitive. I want to improve more, but I am not sure how. I have looked online and learned of specializing. I am not sure what to specialize in. Most of my previous knowledge came from Protobowl, so it was not as much knowledge as osmosis, especially in middle school. I like science, literature, and history pretty much equally. I'm not really sure how to study in each of these once I decide which category to specialize in. Reading all those books, poems, and plays for literature seems pretty time consuming, and I only have three more years to improve as much as I can. The science canon is extremely large, and it seems like I haven't even heard of half the amount of information in that. History follows the same route as the other two, with a huge canon of wars, battles, and important events. I am not sure how to start serious studying to become the best hsquizbowl player I can be. I would love some helpful advice, thanks in advance!
Malcolm D'Souza
St. Charles Preparatory School '24
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: How to Choose What Category to Specialize In?

Post by AKKOLADE »

There's several other threads on the forums about how to study specific subjects (check this subforum & the Best of the Best subforum, as well as qbwiki.com), but when it comes to choosing what to study, you should definitely choose a subject you are interested in learning. It is much harder to review and learn information if it does not interest you.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator