Scobol Solo, Masonics, Reinstein, Reinstein IESA 2020-21

This is the only forum where you should post and discuss offers to have your tournament set hosted at other locations.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Scobol Solo, Masonics, Reinstein, Reinstein IESA 2020-21

Post by Stained Diviner »

This announcement actually covers four or five sets.

Scobol Solo is a tossup only set. It contains 14 regular rounds, one replacement round, and a 60 question championship round, with tiebreakers for all rounds. It is about 400 tossups total.

The main site was originally scheduled to be at New Trier (near Chicago) on Saturday, November 14. At some point in September I will make an announcement as to what will happen with the tournament, be it online or in person. Once I use the set, it will be available for mirrors. The cost to mirror is $4 per player. Each round has one question each in physics, chem, bio, math, other science, US hist, Eur hist, world hist, military history, US lit, Brit lit, Euro & World lit, poetry, painting, music, other fine arts, social science/philosophy, religion/myth, geography, and current events.

I am also producing the Masonic and Reinstein Sets, which share many of the same questions with each other, so you can only use one of them (though you can use Solo and one of the others because there is no overlap with Solo). They will be available in early March. The cost is $12 per team.

The Masonic Set distribution is:
Lit 4/4
Social Studies (mostly history) 4/4
Science (not including math) 4/4
Math 2/2
Fine Arts 1/2
Miscellaneous 1/0
The Masonic Set is 16 rounds of 16/16. The first eight rounds are easier than the last eight rounds.

The Reinstein Set distribution is:
Lit 4.5/4.5
History 4.5/3.5
Science not including Math 5/5
Math 1/3
Fine Arts 2/2
Religion and Mythology 1/1
Social Studies 1/1 (geography, US government, psych, econ, current events)
Miscellaneous 1/0 (pop culture, journalism, sports, agriculture, industrial arts, technology, consumer education)
The Reinstein Set is 12 rounds of 20/20.

There is a possibility that the Reinstein Set will also have a VCU version, also available starting in early March, that has a more standard distribution and no computation. The Masonic, Reinstein, and VCU version of Reinstein will be available if the Illinois Masons can hold their tournament one way or another in February and/or March.

The Masonic and Reinstein Sets have computational bonus parts but no computational tossups. The Solo set and VCU version of the Reinstein Set do not have computation.

Past iterations of these sets are available in the Question Database, so feel free to check those out if there are any concerns about quality.

I am also producing a middle school set that follows the IESA format and distribution. The primary target audience is Illinois middle school conferences, but other people can use it too--contact me if you want to discuss cost. Because it follows IESA distribution, the bonuses are four parts meant to be read all at once, with teams giving their answers all at once after conferring. Mike Laudermith and the Reinstein Quizbowl Interns are helping me write this set.

The Reinstein IESA Set distribution is:
Language Arts (including Lit): 5/4
Social Studies (including History): 5/4
Science (not including Math): 5/4
Math: 5/4
Fine Arts: 2/2
Miscellaneous: 2/2

The Reinstein IESA Set is 15 rounds of 24/20. There will be computational tossups and bonuses. It will be available by the beginning of January 2021, and earlier uses are possible if I am given enough warning. I am also selling last year's questions for practice.

I am writing pretty much all of the high school questions myself with significant editing help from Jonah Greenthal, who wrote a small number of questions. The VCU version will have some questions written and edited by VCU. There are several people working on the IESA Set--I will give them credit when I announce that set in about a month. The high school questions are all written except for Current Events, and the questions are now being edited. About half of the middle school questions are drafted at this point, and most of the rest will be written this month, with most of the editing probably happening in September.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: Scobol Solo, Reinstein IESA 2020-21

Masonics is cancelled this year, so I am going to hold over the questions for the Masonic and Reinstein Sets until 2022.

I am looking into the possibility of an online December Scobol Solo. The IESA Format Set is still being produced for this school year and is on track to be finished by the end of September.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: Scobol Solo, Masonics, Reinstein, Reinstein IESA 2020-21

At this point there is a good chance that Solo will occur online the afternoons of December 5 and 12. Anybody who plays would need to be available both days. There is also a good chance that New Trier Varsity will not happen. If you have questions, ask--I am not making a formal announcement or emailing coaches yet because I am still figuring things out, but I hope to do so before September ends.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

The Solo set was used in Iowa and twice in Illinois. Let me know if you want to use it anywhere else. If there is no more interest, I'll post it in a month.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

It's posted.
David Reinstein