Matt Cvijanovich Memorial Tournament (Regular HS, 2020-2021 Season)

This is the only forum where you should post and discuss offers to have your tournament set hosted at other locations.
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Matt Cvijanovich Memorial Tournament (Regular HS, 2020-2021 Season)

Post by Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!! »

Hello everyone!

It is my great honor and pleasure to announce the Matt Cvijanovich Memorial Tournament (MCMT) for the 2020-2021 season. The set will be available for mirrors at the very beginning of the 2020-2021 season.

For some context, January 2nd, 2020 marks 15 years since the passing of Matt Cvijanovich - an influential and kind player for Iowa State who helped shape the Midwest circuit. A third of the proceeds of the tournament will go directly to Matt's Buzzers - an organization managed by Matt's family and provides grants for schools to purchase buzzer systems. We are really excited for this opportunity, and our goal is to raise as much money as possible to an amazing organization!

MCMT will be a regular difficulty set. Our target for difficulty and quality of questions is WHAQ III, which can be found here.

The set is being written by current members of the University of Iowa Quiz Bowl team, along with guest writers Greg Peterson, Eric Chang, Bo Chi, and Lalit Maharajan.

This post is also officially a call for help editing the set. Jacob O'Rourke will be head-editing the set, and I will be his padawan in head-editing as well as the logistics coordinator. Currently, Will Grossman is editing Literature, Stefan Calin is editing Science, Karthik Prasad is editing Religion and Auditory Arts, Alex Dzurick is editing Social Science, Geography, and Current Events, Sean Philips is editing Trash and Law, and I will be editing History and Philosophy.

If you are interested, please email me at [email protected]. Our overall distribution will be as follows:

The tossups in the set will be powermarked and will run from 5 to 6 lines. The bonus parts will be no longer than two lines long. The questions will be measured in Times New Roman, 11 point font.

Each packet will consist of 21 tossups and 20 three-part bonuses, distributed as follows:

4 Literature (1.5 American Lit [1 tossup and 1 bonus, plus an additional tossup or bonus in each packet], 1.5 British Lit, 1 European/World Literature)
4 History (1 U.S. History, 1 European History, 1 World History, 1 Miscellaneous History [This is ancient history and questions that don’t fit neatly into one of the other history categories, or just more of U.S., European or World History])
4 Science (1 Biology, 1 Chemistry, 1 Physics, 1 Other Science)
2.5 Fine Arts (1 Classical Music, 1 Visual Fine Arts, 0.5 Miscellaneous Arts-1 tossup or bonus per packet)
1 Geography
1 Trash
2 RM (1 Religion, 1 Mythology)
0.5 Philosophy
0.5 Social Science
0.5 Current Events
1 Extra Question (This will come from any category other than Trash)

The mirror fee will be $12 per team. This is slightly higher than WHAQ's $10 mirror fee to account for donated money to Matt's Buzzers, and appropriately compensating our writers.

I will update this post with more details about mirroring in the near future, but for now, we are excited to welcome editors onto our team!
Last edited by Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!! on Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Ganon Evans
Misconduct Representative
ACF President, PACE VP of Editing, MOQBA
Francis Howell High School 2018, University of Iowa 2021
AGoodMan
Rikku

Re: Matt Cvijanovich Memorial Tournament (Regular HS, 2020-2021 Season) - Call for Editors

Post by AGoodMan »

ganman0305 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:55 pm and Sean Philips is editing Trash and Law. We still need editors for the following subjects:
Out of curiosity, what does this mean?
Jon Suh
Wheaton Warrenville South High School '16
Harvard '20
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Re: Matt Cvijanovich Memorial Tournament (Regular HS, 2020-2021 Season) - Call for Editors

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

AGoodMan wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:56 pm
ganman0305 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:55 pm and Sean Philips is editing Trash and Law. We still need editors for the following subjects:
Out of curiosity, what does this mean?
He's editing any law-related history questions (for example, he edited the Miranda v. Arizona tossup in WHAQ III).
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Proud to announce that Eric Chang is now our Visual, Other Fine Arts, and Mythology Editor, and we also welcome Stefan Calin to the team as our science editor! As we start writing over winter break, we're still looking for a history, philosophy, and social science editor, so let me know if you're interest in joining this little shindig!
Ganon Evans
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Update time! As we seriously begin to get writing, I'm happy to welcome Amogh Kulkarni as our history and philosophy editor. Shohom Chakraborty, Aditya Sivakumar, Annie Lin, and Aidan McWilliams have also joined the team as writers.
Last edited by Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!! on Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ganon Evans
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Alex Dzurick is finishing off our editing team, focusing on Social Science, Current Events, and Geography!
Ganon Evans
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Re: Matt Cvijanovich Memorial Tournament (Regular HS, 2020-2021 Season)

Hi friends! I hope everyone is happy and healthy right now. Little update from the team: this set is still being written as scheduled, and we are still on the same timeline pre-COVID-19. We are approximately 54% complete with writing the set. Our goal is to be done writing by late June so July can be dedicated to playtesting and editing.

Thanks!
Ganon Evans
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Hi all! As we're starting to get to 100% written and our editors are working their magic, I'd like to put out again that this set is open for mirrors, and I would like to put out a call for playtesters. Email me at [email protected] what categories you're interested in playtesting, and I'll start setting up times. Thanks!
Ganon Evans
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Mirrors [as of 7/29/2020]:

Toledo League Varsity [Starting October 5th]
UKY Fall 2020 [October 10th]
LUKA - Southern US Mirror [October 17th]
IQBL Kickoff Tournament [October 24th]
Tippecanoe Academic Challenge XXV [November 7th]
MIT Mirror (MA, ME, RI, CT, NH, and VT) [November 21st]
OF MICE AND MEN - Michigan Mirror [November 28th]
Mahoning League [January]
Del North Edgehog [January 30th]
Ashtabula League tournament [February]
Portage League tournament [February]
TJIAT - DMV Mirror [tentatively March 20th]
Last edited by Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!! on Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:21 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Ganon Evans
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

I would like to offer an update on the status of our mirrors. We will be relying on closed online mirrors ran by regional sites, such as those currently set-up in Kentucky, Iowa, Ohio, and Missouri. We want to give regional sites a chance to host their local teams in their local circuits before putting on large, closed, regional mirrors hosted by ourselves.

By the spring semester, the MCMT team plans on hosting a large, closed mirror for teams who didn't have the chance to play a regional site. If there is any other information I can provide in our decision, please let me know!
Ganon Evans
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

I'm happy to announce that we can provide MCMT packets in either an all tossup then all bonus format, or paired tossups and bonuses, per the host's request.
Ganon Evans
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

We have a middle school singles mirror of this Saturday, after that, I will give it two weeks in case there are any other mirror requests, and then post a summary of our donation, clear the set, and post afterward.
Ganon Evans
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

This set is now clear! I have the last checks coming in this week into the next, after which I'll post our final donation numbers and a longer write up. The set is posted to HSQB.
Ganon Evans