Scobol Solo at Sandburg 11/13/21 (IL)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Scobol Solo at Sandburg 11/13/21 (IL)

Post by Stained Diviner »

This is an invitation to participate in the Twenty-First Annual Scobol Solo, to be held on Saturday, November 13. The tournament is at Sandburg High School in Orland Park, just southwest of Chicago. This is the main site of Scobol Solo.

You can enter by using the form at https://www.scobolsolo.com/.

Checks should be made payable to Reinstein QuizBowl and mailed to:
Reinstein QuizBowl
PO Box 57
125 Schelter Road
Lincolnshire, IL 60069

Unlike most other tournaments, this one will feature one-on-one matches (i.e. no teams). Each match will consist of twenty tossup questions without bonuses or powers. Each individual who enters is guaranteed seven matches, which will take place from 9:00-3:30. We will then have a Championship Match at 3:30 featuring the top nine students all playing at once.

The cost to participate is $40 per player for the first eight players on your team. Additional players can register as standbys, meaning that they will play for free if space allows. Moderators will be paid $75, which can be taken as a team discount or a payment. Lunch will be provided for everybody, though the details on that are still up in the air and might be different than previous years. Keep in mind that moderators will be unable to watch their own players' matches. Even if you don't moderate, there will be several times that some of your students play at the same time. We are hoping to have exactly 128 students total.

Old questions are here.

The tournament is set up so that matches always feature two students with identical records. This tournament keeps advanced stats--to see the results from last year, go here and check out some of the menus at the top.

We will follow the COVID guidelines from the Illinois Department of Public Health. Specifically, everybody must wear a mask when they are indoors, and everybody must either be fully vaccinated or tested weekly. Because masks must be taken off during lunch, people should maintain 6 foot distancing while their masks are off.

If you have questions or concerns, IM me, email me at [email protected], or call me at (847)784-6616.

FAQ
Q: Do you need staff?
A: Yes
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: Scobol Solo at Sandburg 11/13/21 (IL)

I need a lot more staffers. Let me know if you can help out. My current list is:
Nevagay Abel
Luis Angeles
Micheal Bennett-Tejes
David Brewczynski
Winston Brzykcy
Colby Burnett
Andrew Cheun
Ernesto Cruz
Claudia Danowski
Owen Doak
Laura Grigg
Matt Hasquin
D. Matthew Jordan
Mike Laudermith
Jonathan Legendre
Sharon Lorinskas
Barry Love
Jennifer Markoff
Charles Metz
Brian Mulford
Ali Nagib
Aaron Raatjes
Eric Rettberg
BJ Ryan
Shaunie Talapatra
John Paul Taylor
Matt Welmers
Last edited by Stained Diviner on Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

I need one moderator for every four players. I currently have 26 moderators and 104 players, which works. From now until the end of the day this coming Friday (11/5), I will take additional players if I can find moderators. If a school supplies a moderator, then they can definitely have up to four spaces, and that's up to eight if they supply two moderators. I might get an additional moderator or two somehow, which would allow students to sign up even if their school does not supply a moderator.

At the end of the day Friday I will stop taking registrations, and anybody who registers after that will only be allowed to play if they are replacing a drop.

EDIT: We got one more moderator, so I can go up to at least 108 players.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

This tournament will run with 104 students. See the website for the list of students. See the list above to see who is moderating.

Because there are 104 students instead of the regular 128, this tournament will use some safety matches so that the number of students behaves like a power of two even though it isn't actually a power of two. Safety matches will count towards the tiebreaker between 5-2 students, seeds, and tiebreakers, but both students in the match will be credited with a win. 24 students will play safety matches in their first match, 24 0-1 students will play safety matches in their second match, 8 0-2 students will play safety matches in their third match, 8 1-2 students will play safety matches in their fourth match, and 16 1-3 students will play safety matches in their fifth match. That is a complete list.

All students will play 7 matches. After that, the top 9 will be in the Championship. The top 9 will be the one 7-0 student, the seven 6-1 students, and the highest scoring (out of 21) 5-2 student.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

If you are playing or coaching in this tournament, please check the Registrations and Field at https://www.scobolsolo.com/2021/, and let me know immediately if there are any discrepancies with reality.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

A huge thanks to Jeff Brigham and Mike Woolley at Sandburg for hosting this tournament. They helped me out a lot. Without them, this tournament would have been on Discord, and it would not have been nearly as good.

Another huge thanks to Jonah Greenthal, whose program worked wonderfully and who gave me lots of good feedback on the questions.

Thanks also to the moderators Nevagay Abel, Luis Angeles, Micheal Bennett-Tejes, Weston Brzykcy, Colby Burnett, Andrew Cheun, Ernesto Cruz, Claudia Danowski, Owen Doak, Laura Grigg, Matt Hasquin, D Matthew Jordan, Mike Laudermith, Jonathan Legendre, Sharon Lorinskas, Jennifer Markoff, Charles Metz, Brian Mulford, Ali Nagib, Kate Pauss, Aaron Raatjes, Eric Rettberg, BJ Ryan, Michael Sacks, John Paul Taylor, and Matt Welmers.

Thanks to Adena Horwitz and Barry Love for helping to serve lunch.

Congratulations to the Tournament Champion Charles Young. For full results, go to https://www.scobolsolo.com/2021/.
David Reinstein