FREE!! 8/6/21: SKUFFED Set + Open Tournament Announcement

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
chartong
Lulu

FREE!! 8/6/21: SKUFFED Set + Open Tournament Announcement

Post by chartong »

Hello all,

I and the rest of the Kinkaid Quiz Bowl team are happy to announce SKUFFED (Summer Kinkaid Unexplainably Fun Freakily Expedited Dournament) an easy college difficulty housewrite (intended to be slightly easier than 2019 ICT-D2) that will be mostly written all in one weekend by the members of our A team (myself, Connor Blake and Vedul Palavajjhala). We thought it would be a fun challenge to try and write a set in a short amount of time, and thus, SKUFFED was born.

The set will consist of six twenty tossup packets (plus one tiebreaker per packet*). The goal of this set is to make use of many answerlines high school players may not be as familiar with. That being said, tossups will still be HS regular tossup-ish in length, around 450-550 characters. To make a comparison, the set will be similar to NAQT's ICT-D2.

We have created a 7 question sample packet, which can be found here.

*A note on tiebreakers: Tiebreakers will be either literature, science or history. There will be no RMPSS, FA or Trash tiebreakers.
*A note on trash: our philosophy when writing the trash questions for this set was to write "Gen Z Nostalgia Trash": see sample packet for an example

The set distribution will be as follows:

4 Science and Math (Connor Blake, Vedul Palavajjhala)
- 1 Biology
- 1 Chemistry
- 1 Physics
- 0.5 Math (Vedul Palavajjhala)
- 0.5 Other

4 History (Cole Hartung)
-1 American
-1 European
-1 World
-1 Other (Ancient/Commonlink)

4 Literature (Vedul Palavajjhala, Connor Blake)
-1 American
-1 European
-1 World
-0.5 British
-0.5 Ancient/Other

3 Fine Arts
-1 Visual (Connor Blake, Cole Hartung)
-1 Auditory (Vedul Palavajjhala)
-1 Other (Architecture/Opera/Ballet) (Connor Blake, Vedul Palavajjhala)

3 RMPSS (Vedul Palavajjhala)
-1 Religion
-1 Mythology
-0.5 Philosophy
-0.5 Social Science

2 Other
-1 Geography (0.5 American, 0.5 Other)
-1 Pop Culture/Sports

Tournament Information

We plan on using this question set for an open tournament on August 6th, 2021. Teams will be limited to 3 players. The members of our team will serve as tournament directors for the tournament.

6 rounds will be guaranteed to each team (5 prelim, 1 placement).

Cameras will be required for each player. We will run the tournament on a dedicated discord server.

Statistics

Live stats will be posted during the tournament utilizing TJsheets. More info on TJsheets can be found here.
This means there will likely be category statistics for this tournament as well.

Time

The tournament will begin at 6 PM Central Standard Time and will last until 9 PM Central Standard Time.

Staff

We encourage people to sign up to staff for the tournament. You can sign up using the following google form:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

The stipend for staffing will be $12 per staffer for the duration of the tournament.

Registration

The tournament will be open to all current high school students as well as recent high school graduates (class of '21).

This is an open tournament, meaning that players on a team do not have to be from the same school. Teams are limited to 3 players per team.

Register via this google spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Fees (haha there are none)

The tournament will not cost anything; we will not profit off of this event.
Cole Hartung
kinkaid '24

"You ruined quiz bowl for millions of innocent players" - Arthur Gayden

Suetonius states that Titus, upon realizing he had brought no benefit to anyone during a whole day, remarked "Friends, I have lost a day".
chartong
Lulu

Re: FREE!! 8/6/21: SKUFFED Set + Open Tournament Announcement

Post by chartong »

After consulting with my accounting department (myself), I decided it would be viable to make this tournament free. The tournament post has been edited to reflect this change.
Cole Hartung
kinkaid '24

Suetonius states that Titus, upon realizing he had brought no benefit to anyone during a whole day, remarked "Friends, I have lost a day".
chartong
Lulu

SKUFFED: seeking playtesters

Post by chartong »

Connor Blake has finally let me out of his attic now that I have finished writing this set. We are now seeking playtesters to help us iron out this mess.

If you'd be interested in playtesting, make sure to contact either me or Connor Blake at cole dot hartung at kinkaid dot org/connor dot blake at kinkaid dot org or via discord at PC Optimizer Pro#3280 or The_Tyger#5838. We are seeking playtesters from the high school graduating class of 2020 or older. Playtesting will likely take place next weekend at whatever time the playtester wants.
Last edited by chartong on Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cole Hartung
kinkaid '24