Florida NASAT Tryouts

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jordan.davidsen
Lulu

Florida NASAT Tryouts

Post by jordan.davidsen »

I am very excited to announce that Florida is planning on having a team represent our state at the 2021 National All-Star Academic Tournament (NASAT). I, Jordan Davidsen (Yale), will be organizing and coaching the team with the assistance of Sean Farrell (UNF).

TRYOUTS

The NASAT team will be determined via a tryout process. We will be using the set BHSAT XXX for our tryouts. The tryout will take place at noon on May 8th, 2021. The tryout will be done in two parts. The first will consist of tossup-only questions read to players who will be split into a few breakout rooms. We will then reconvene and read additional tossups (maybe bonuses as well) to the top performers in the breakout rooms. The tryout will be run on Zoom. Registration for this try out will end on May 5th.

TEAM FORMATION

Teams will be determined by a combination of NASAT tryouts performances and tournament performances throughout the season. If there is enough interest, we will consider sending two teams.

ELIGIBILITY

Any player who attends high school in the state of Florida is permitted to try out, regardless of grade or geographic location. Players without QuizBowl experience will be permitted to try out, however, this is highly discouraged. The NASAT is a very difficult set which can be hard for even the best of high school QuizBowl players. Nevertheless, any player who wants to try out, or even just play BHSAT, is welcome to do so. Players who tryout, however, must be prepared to pay their admission into the NASAT if they make the team. We are planning some fundraising methods, but players will still be responsible for their portion of the registration fee, which could be up to $100. Please consider this when deciding to try out.

REGISTRATION AND FEES

Players interested in registering can do so here. The tryout will cost $10. Players must pay before the tryout, or they will not be allowed to participate. After paying, players will receive a code that they must present at the tryout to be able to play.

Thank you and I can’t wait to see you guys at tryouts!
jordan davidsen (he/him)
yale '24
communications, acf
jordan.davidsen
Lulu

Re: Florida NASAT Tryouts

Post by jordan.davidsen »

Congrats to those who were chosen to represent Florida for this year's NASAT:

Aaron Dantzler, Stanton College Prep (Co-Captain)
Joel Valan, Stanton College Prep (Co-Captain)
Soham Mehra, Stanton College Prep
Biniam Alaro, Stanton College Prep
Qingyu Zhang, Buchholz
Sreeraghav Raja, Stanton College Prep

I am also excited to welcome the following players as practice players who will get the opportunity to train and attend practices with the team:

Javier Kumar, Ransom Everglades
Param Gatupalli, Stanton College Prep

Huge thank you to everyone to tried out today!
jordan davidsen (he/him)
yale '24
communications, acf