Lightning Run II: The Sequel (4/23/21) (HS Open)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
nicole.
Rikku

Lightning Run II: The Sequel (4/23/21) (HS Open)

Post by nicole. »

I will be running Lightning Run II: The Sequel, a hs open duos tournament on TAILS, on Friday, April 23rd, 2021 for experienced high school players.

Date and Time:

The tournament will take place on April 23rd on Discord, starting at 6:30 PM EST. All players and coaches should be logged onto the server by 6 PM EST.

Questions

This tournament will be using TAILS. You can read more about the set here.

There will be 20 tossups per round. The tournament will use PACE Rules, with some exceptions outlined below, although there will be no bonuses.

Event Format:

Teams will be seeded into preliminary brackets, followed by re-seeding for playoffs. All teams will be guaranteed 10 rounds. Teams are expected to stay and play the entire event, even if not in contention for the championship. This tournament will use the ruleset from Lightning Run 1. There will be 20 point powers, 10 point midpoint buzzes, with questions going dead immediately after the conclusion of the questions being read. There will also be a 15 minute timer, with 7.5 minute halves for each round.

The field cap of this tournament is 18 duos.

Eligibility:

Duos are intended to be just that, 2 people, not more, not less. If you don't have a duos partner, you can sign up on the free agent list, where you can either reach out to other free agents or be automatically matched. All players must be in either middle school or high school. (Class of 2021 and younger)

People playing this mirror must not be eligible for other TAILS mirrors or must not be able to play a novice tournament in good faith. We expect players to use discretion in order to not take business from standard format TAILS Mirrors.

Prizes

The top 3 scorers, as well as the winning duo, will receive a "trash" book prize mailed to them through Amazon Prime.

Payment:

There will be a flat fee of $40 per duo (or $20 per free agent). This can be paid by Venmo, PayPal, or Check. As we get closer to the tournament, I'll email teams about how to pay me.

In order to register, fill out the sheet located here.

Please ensure you register prior to the day of the tournament. The deadline for dropping out of the field is one week prior to the event (Friday, April 16th in this case), after which you will be responsible for the full amount due.

Staff

We will take moderators and scorekeepers who want to staff this tournament. All staffers not affiliated with attending teams will be paid $18. You can sign up on the sheet used for registering teams.

Cheating

Cheating will absolutely not be tolerated at this tournament. If sufficient evidence is found, the guilty parties will be banned from the tournament and disqualified from future tournaments.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me at nicolelol255 (at) gmail.com, or [email protected]

We hope to see you on April 23rd!
Last edited by nicole. on Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nic Pruitt (they/them)

Founder of the Maine Quiz Bowl Alliance (MEQBA)
Bates College '25
Kings College London, Winter '24 Semester
Ridgewood '21
Director of Outreach, American Quizbowl League, Prometheus Science Bowl, and Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
Outreach and Technology, Florida Quiz Bowl Association
Sean
Wakka

Re: Lightning Run II: The Sequel (4/23/21) (HS Open)

Post by Sean »

nick. wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:36 pm a hs open duos tournament on TAILS, on Friday, April 23rd, 2021 for experienced high school players.
nick. wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:36 pm Eligibility:
People playing this mirror must not be eligible for other TAILS mirrors or must not be able to play a novice tournament in good faith.
These two statements seem to conflict with each other, though I may be misconstruing one of the two. Do you mean to say inexperienced?

After checking the sign-up sheet for the last Lightning Run, I've come to the conclusion that I'm misinterpreting your comment about playing a novice tournament in good faith, so feel free to ignore this post. My apologies.

Actually, I'm dumb and cannot read. If there's a way to delete this post forever that would be terrific.
Sean Farrell
Mandarin High '20
North Florida '23
VGTheOne
Lulu

Post by VGTheOne »

To clear up the confusion:

People playing this tournament must NOT be able to play a novice tournament in good faith, meaning that they are too experienced to play in the novice division.

This tournament is for experienced players.
Vishnuu Gopi

President and Captain
Plano West Senior High School ‘22
Jasper High School ‘20
West Windsor Plainsboro High School North '19
nicole.
Rikku

Post by nicole. »

The demand was there, so field is upped to hard max of 24, please sign up to staff, it's $18 per staff (since this tournament is 3/5ths the length of a normal tu only tournament, 3/5th the pay (3/5*30)=18)
Nic Pruitt (they/them)

Founder of the Maine Quiz Bowl Alliance (MEQBA)
Bates College '25
Kings College London, Winter '24 Semester
Ridgewood '21
Director of Outreach, American Quizbowl League, Prometheus Science Bowl, and Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
Outreach and Technology, Florida Quiz Bowl Association