SnowCAT at Carleton College (2/20/2021, IS-197)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
nk0713
Lulu

SnowCAT at Carleton College (2/20/2021, IS-197)

Post by nk0713 »

Hello!

I am pleased to announce that Carleton College will be hosting our annual high school tournament, SnowCAT, on Saturday, February 20th, 2021 virtually over Zoom! We will begin at 9:00AM CST, with a general meeting at 8:45AM. Attending teams do not need to have premium Zoom accounts; more information about technological logistics will be sent to registered teams.

Conduct and Expectations:

All players will be required to have their video cameras turned on during gameplay. If there are any issues with meeting this requirement, please contact me at [email protected]. Furthermore, all players are expected to abide by the PACE Code of Conduct.

Here is the fee structure for our tournament:

Base fee: $70 per team
-$20 per each moderator provided (for coaches/parent volunteers who have prior moderating experience)
-$20 for teams new to quiz bowl (MN Knowledge Bowl does not count — if you have only played Knowledge Bowl before you will still receive this discount)

If, for whatever reason, you can't pay this, email me at [email protected].

Nationals Qualification: The top 25% of teams will qualify for PACE's NSC, to be held online on June 5th-6th.

Registration (updated 2/4/2021): We are expanding the field cap for Minnesota/Western Wisconsin teams only up to 28. We are no longer accepting waitlist requests from teams outside of this region. There will still be a cap of 4 teams registered per school, with additional teams being placed on a wait list. While this tournament will not impose geographic restrictions, as of this post, we are still granting priority to Minnesota and Western Wisconsin teams who would normally register for this tournament.

Minnesota and Western Wisconsin teams only can register at any point up until February 12th through NAQT's website at this URL:
https://www.naqt.com/go/register/12121

Payment: We cannot and will not accept money orders, PayPal, or credit cards. If you need an invoice, please email me. Checks should be made out to "Carleton College".

Staffers: If you wish to staff for this tournament and are not affiliated with a participating team, and have had prior online moderating/scorekeeping experience, please fill out this form: https://forms.gle/qv5A6hBB1EMUyaD66.
Staffers will be paid $40 for the day. It is preferable if you have a premium Zoom account, but if you don't, please email me at [email protected] and we can work out alternative arrangements.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me at [email protected].

Good luck in your seasons, and we look forward to seeing you in February!
Last edited by nk0713 on Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nina Kaushikkar (she/her)
Evanston Twp HS '18
Carleton College '22
Minnesota '2x
nk0713
Lulu

Re: SnowCAT at Carleton College (2/20/2021, IS-197)

Post by nk0713 »

We are currently looking for staffers! If you are not affiliated with a participating team, and have had prior online moderating/scorekeeping experience, please fill out this form: https://forms.gle/qv5A6hBB1EMUyaD66.
Staffers with premium Zoom accounts are preferred (i.e. through your school or place of work, for instance), but if you don't, please email me at [email protected] and we can work out an alternative. Staffers will be paid $40 for the day.

Additionally, we now have Platinum certification from PACE, meaning that the top 25% of teams will qualify for the NSC, to be held online on June 5th-6th. I've updated the original post to reflect both of these.
Evanston Twp HS '18
Carleton College '22
Minnesota '2x
nk0713
Lulu

Post by nk0713 »

We have expanded the field cap only for Minnesota and Western Wisconsin teams up to 24, and are closing all further waitlist registrations from teams outside this region. Minnesota and Western Wisconsin teams can register at any point up until February 12th through NAQT's website at this URL: https://www.naqt.com/go/register/12121. The original post has been updated with this information.

We are still looking for staffers, as we want to try and accommodate as many waitlisted teams as possible. If you are interested in staffing, please fill out this form or contact me at [email protected].
Evanston Twp HS '18
Carleton College '22
Minnesota '2x
nk0713
Lulu

Post by nk0713 »

The field cap has now been expanded up to 28 for Minnesota/Western Wisconsin teams.
Evanston Twp HS '18
Carleton College '22
Minnesota '2x
nk0713
Lulu

Post by nk0713 »

We have put a hard cap at 30 teams, and are now notifying teams if they have been accepted off of the out-of-state waitlist. It is unlikely that at this point we will be accepting any other Minnesota/Western Wisconsin teams due to the size of the waitlist.
Evanston Twp HS '18
Carleton College '22
Minnesota '2x
nk0713
Lulu

Post by nk0713 »

Thank you to everyone who came to SnowCAT 2021! Congratulations to Wayzata A, who won the tournament in a final against Mounds View. Solon placed third, followed by Wayzata B in fourth, and Wayzata C in fifth. Full stats can be found here.

A huge thank-you to all of our staff who provided outside support: Mike Laudermith, Ganon Evans, Blake Andert, Joe Kammann, Nibir Sarma, Joyce Sun, Tora Husar, Patrick Matthews, Lucas Pham, Andrew Remenar, Jarrett Holmes, Beni Keown, Chloe Chow, Nathan Clack, Ben Koppel, Mia McGill, Davis Everson-Rose, Kenneth Martin, Jasper Davidoff, and Rachel Mattson. A special shout-out to Ben Weiner for taking care of stats and helping with rebracketing. This tournament would not have run as smoothly without all of your help.

Any feedback from coaches or players about the tournament can be sent to [email protected].
Evanston Twp HS '18
Carleton College '22
Minnesota '2x