Clarke Winter I @ Clarke HS, Westbury, NY, 1/25/2020 (CALISTO mirror)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
QuestionCactus
Lulu

Clarke Winter I @ Clarke HS, Westbury, NY, 1/25/2020 (CALISTO mirror)

Post by QuestionCactus »

Clarke High School will be hosting Clarke Winter I on Saturday, January 25th, 2020. W. Tresper Clarke High School is located at 740 Edgewood Drive, Westbury, NY, 11590. Contact clarke [dot] quizbowl [at] gmail.com for any questions.

Question Set

Clarke Winter I will be mirroring CALISTO, a regular-difficulty high school set with no computational mathematics tossups or bonuses. The editors, writing teams, and category distribution can be found at the link.

Registration/Field Size

Register by filling out the following form: Online Registration Form

We are tentatively capping the field at 18 teams. This may be increased depending on our potential to acquire additional staffers. Teams that sign up after the field is full will be placed on a waitlist.

Transportation

W. Tresper Clarke High School is located at 740 Edgewood Drive, Westbury, NY, 11590, 30 miles east of New York City. We're about a mile from Exit W2 West on the Wantagh Parkway or 2 miles from Exit M4 on the Meadowbrook Parkway. If you take the LIRR to the Westbury Train Station, we're about 1.5 miles from there. From there you could walk for 30 minutes or use one of the taxi services located at the station, though we'd recommend catching an Uber.

Payment

$80 for the first team from a school
$70 for each subsequent team
-$10 working buzzer system discount
-$10 experienced moderator discount on a case-by-case basis depending on need
-$20 per team for schools further than 50 miles (as determined by the Google Maps distance by automobile from the team's school to W.T. Clarke High School)

The minimum fee is $60 per competing team.

Payment can be made on-site. Registered teams that wish to drop out should email clarke [dot] quizbowl [at] gmail.com; teams that drop out after 9:00 AM on Wednesday, January 22nd (i.e. 72 hours before the tournament begins) will still be liable for the entry fee.

Teams that register to bring buzzers and reduce the number of buzzers they are signed up to bring after 9:00 AM on Wednesday, January 22nd will be liable for a $10 inconvenience fee per buzzer set not brought.

Tournament Format

Gameplay will follow standard standard NAQT rules with the following modifications:
  • Rounds will be untimed and consist of twenty tossup-bonus cycles
  • Players will receive 5 seconds after buzzing in, after being prompted, and after the tossup ends
  • Tiebreakers will be performed by reading tossups until the first score change
Sign-in will begin at 8:15, the introductory meeting will begin at 8:50, and the first round will begin at 9:00. The tournament will end by 6:00, and possibly earlier, depending on the field size.

The tournament will consist of bracketed round-robin preliminary rounds, a 1-hour lunch, and re-bracketed playoff and consolation rounds, and cross-over and finals matches as necessary. The specifics will depend on the number of competing teams.

The top three teams will receive trophies and the top scorers after the preliminary rounds will receive book prizes.

All teams will also receive individual and team performance statistics, with a detailed category breakdown of tossup and bonus performance. These metrics will allow teams to examine their strengths and weakness and improve their game.

All teams will be guaranteed ten rounds. We have been designated as a PACE NSC Platinum Qualifier event, which will allow the top 25% of the field to advance to the 2020 National Scholastic Championships.

Food

For breakfast, we'll provide complimentary croissants/coffee/juice. For lunch, we'll be selling pizza; registered teams will receive the relevant information once we get closer to the tournament date.
Last edited by QuestionCactus on Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arjun Panickssery (he/his)
President, American Quizbowl League
QuestionCactus
Lulu

Re: Clarke Winter I @ Clarke HS, Westbury, NY, 1/25/2020 (CALISTO mirror)

Post by QuestionCactus »

Current Field (Teams/Buzzers/Staff)
"Mather" (1/0/0)
Ridgewood (1/1/0)
Tenafly (1/0/0)

TOTAL: 3 teams
Last edited by QuestionCactus on Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
QuestionCactus
Lulu

Post by QuestionCactus »

We have just been designed a Plantinum NSC qualifier event by PACE. The top 25% of teams will qualify for the National Scholastic Championships in Chicago.
QuestionCactus
Lulu

Post by QuestionCactus »

This event is canceled.