Carleton Nokomis Tournament -- Dec. 7, 2019 in Ottawa ON

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
bmcke
Wakka

Carleton Nokomis Tournament -- Dec. 7, 2019 in Ottawa ON

Post by bmcke »

Carleton University and the Ontario Quizbowl Association will be running a high school quizbowl tournament on Saturday, December 7, 2019.

This tournament is open to all high-school teams and students. We plan to use a Canadian edition of the NAQT IS-187A question set, same as U of Toronto used for their tournament in October. You can view this sample round of IS-A-level questions. We have space for up to 10 teams.

I'm planning on 8 rounds of tournament play, plus finals if necessary. I can guarantee a minimum of 7 rounds for everyone, plus scrimmage rooms available afterwards for any players who want to keep going.

Timing and Location
The tournament will take place at Carleton University. Everyone has to arrive by 9 AM, and round 1 will start playing before 9:30. It will end no later than 4 PM.

The lunch break will be 1 hour long, and we will not provide any food. You can bring a lunch, or you can find fast food from a few places on campus.

Costs
$60 CAD for the first team from a school
$40 CAD for each subsequent team
-$10 CAD discount per working buzzer set

The costs will pay for NAQT's question fees, the room reservations through Carleton Trivia, and then reimbursing my printing costs. If the tournament makes any profit after that, it will go into the ONQBA treasury and will be spent on quizbowl tournaments in 2020.

All schools must register for the tournament by emailing me, [email protected], with your # of teams, # of buzzer sets, and whether you can bring me any volunteers. You can change your registration later, but we ask for 48 hours' notice in the event of a team withdrawing.

(This post was half-written by Joe Su. I will direct the tournament on-site, but Joe and the current ONQBA crew have done all the groundwork to get things ready. Nokomis is Grandmother Moon)

Registered so far:
Colonel By (1 team)
Glebe (2 teams, 1 buzzer set)
Lisgar (2 teams, 3 buzzer sets)
Brendan McKendy
University of Ottawa 2011
bmcke
Wakka

Re: Carleton Nokomis Tournament -- Dec. 7, 2019 in Ottawa ON

Post by bmcke »

This was a nice fun tournament. We had five teams, and they were all pretty well-matched. A Lisgar team and a Glebe team both finished 6-2, and Lisgar won a one-game final. Full stats here.

The power rates were a little slower than the monster Toronto teams got in November, but the answer rates and bonus numbers were really high. I was happy with the level of competition, especially since the field was so young -- there were only two grade 12 players in the tournament. It was pretty cool to see so many junior players getting powers and 30s. Players from all schools were really strong on the geography questions and the clues with place names.

The runner-up Glebe team had the highest PPG and bonus stats, and I thought they were the best team, with two of their players returning from the team that won Provs last year. Their senior player Jacob knew a ton of science. They went 4-0 against Lisgar teams in the round robin, but they picked up losses to the other Glebe team and to Colonel By. Then Lisgar beat them cleanly in the finals, with Isaac from Lisgar getting all the lit points.

Big thanks to Sam Karovitch and Ruth Crabtree for getting through us all through 10 rounds before 3:00 PM. Credit also to the chaperones and the players, who pitched in on lots of setup and takedown chores. Thanks to Joe for writing CanCon this fall. Thanks also to the many volunteers on my email list who were expecting to staff this tournament before it became clear we only needed two rooms. Nokomis is Grandmother Moon.
Brendan McKendy
University of Ottawa 2011