Registration: David L. Riley Kickoff (11/17/2018) at Stevenson (IL)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
thejman
Kimahri

Registration: David L. Riley Kickoff (11/17/2018) at Stevenson (IL)

Post by thejman »

Good morning!

My name is Justin Millman, and I am very excited to announce that Adlai E. Stevenson High School in Lincolnshire will be a host site for the David L. Riley Kickoff tournament again this year! If you're reading this, you've either e-mailed me recently to express interest in this tournament or you've participated in the tournament in past years. Either way, we hope that you'll join us on November 17 for a day of great quiz bowl.

This year's tournament will be run similar to last year's, with two divisions: an upper "Uber" division (for teams that envision themselves competing at a National level somewhere down the road) and a lower "Standard" division (for teams that don't necessarily have National competition aspirations but still want something competitive). Initially, these divisions will be capped at 10 and 24 teams respectively, though fields may expand at a later date depending on interest and (perhaps more importantly) moderator availability. If you register a team for a division that is already at capacity, the team will be placed on a waitlist; the policy for removal from the waitlist is delineated below.

As we have done in the past, we will also be instituting an initial per-school cap of 2 teams. This does not, however, mean that you cannot register more than 2 teams: any teams after and including the third team your school registers will be placed on a waitlist until November 1st. There is a hard cap of 6 teams per school.

We will be using a cyclic policy for removal of teams from the waitlist. This means that each school with at least one team on the waitlist will get one team taken off of the waitlist before any school gets a second team taken off of the waitlist, subject to division preferences. This policy applies both to teams registered in excess of the 2-per-school initial cap and teams registered beyond the available field size for the division. If you have any questions or concerns about this policy or the waitlist in general, please don't hesitate to contact me.

We will be offering a catered pizza lunch again this year, which will include a drink and small dessert; this is included as part of your teams' registration fee. We will do our best to accommodate any dietary restrictions that your players, chaperones, and staffers have.

The fee for this tournament, as in years past, is $85 for the first team and $80 for each team thereafter, counting only teams that actually make it into the tournament's final field. After registration has been open for a bit and we have a better idea of what the fields look like, I will send out additional e-mails with information about making registration payments and additional details about the tournament schedule. I will also send out an e-mail if fields expand or if a team you registered comes off of the waitlist.

If, for some reason, you need to cancel your school's registration or the registration for a single team, please e-mail me as soon as you can.

To complete your registration, you must fill out this registration from in its entirety. This form includes space to pick your teams' divisions, lunch orders, declare staff your school will be able to provide, list dietary restrictions, and more. If you do not fill out and submit this form, your registration is incomplete. E-mailing me is not sufficient to complete registration for this tournament.

If you have any questions, concerns, or comments, please do reach out to me at your convenience at [email protected] and I'll be happy to provide whatever answers and assistance I can. I greatly look forward to making this year's Kickoff tournament an amazing experience for your teams.
Justin Millman
Adlai E. Stevenson Class of 2014
University of Michigan Class of 2018
Writer, NAQT