We will be using questions from the 2016 edition of the Bulldog High School Academic Tournament (BHSAT) written by the Yale quizbowl team.
The tournament will consist of preliminary round robins between small groups of teams, which will then be re-bracketed into groups of similar performance in the preliminary rounds. Depending on interest, the field may be split into two divisions to ensure that every team has an enjoyable and competitive experience. The exact structure will be determined once we have a better idea of how many teams we will have, but we hope to provide each team with at least nine games regardless of tournament size.
Each match will be untimed and consist of 20 tossups and 20 bonuses. Teams may consist of up to six players. Four players may play at a time for a team, and teams with less than four players are allowed. Once players are assigned to a team’s roster at the start of the tournament, those players cannot be moved between teams. We will be using both powers and negs, and bonuses will not bounce back.
This tournament has received platinum certification from PACE, meaning that the top 25% of the field will qualify for the 2016 PACE NSC. We will also award trophies to the top four teams as well as recognize the highest scoring individual players.
We are initially limiting the field to 36 teams to ensure that we have enough staff. As our staff expands we will raise the cap on the field, but until then we will have a waitlist. Registration is on a first come, first serve basis.
- The base fee is $80 for the first team from a school, and $60 for all additional teams from that school.
- The minimum fee is $40/team.
- There is a $5 discount for each fully functioning buzzer system you can bring.
- There is a $10 discount for traveling over 200 miles.
- There is a $15 discount for each experienced moderator you can provide. Before claiming this discount, please contact us.
- If your team has not played an independent pyramidal tournament between August 1, 2012 and August 1, 2015, you automatically qualify for the minimum entry fee of $40.
If you have any questions or would like to register for the tournament, please email us at [email protected].