Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL - 10/4/2014

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Locked
No Electricity Required
Wakka
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: West-Central Illinois

Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL - 10/4/2014

Post by No Electricity Required » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:27 pm

The Earlybird Tournament will be held at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign on Saturday, October 4, 2014.

QUESTIONS:
We will be mirroring the 2014 Brookwood Invitational Scholar's Bowl set. Information about the set can be found in this thread.

FORMAT:
The Earlybird tournament will use mACF format. In particular, Earlybird will be a 4-on-4 tournament; matches will be standard 20 tossup/20 bonus rounds, with sudden-death tiebreakers; bonuses are three parts read one at a time, and there will be no bouncebacks. We will be using 15-point powers.

In terms of tournament structure, we will use some form of round robin prelims, followed by rebracketing for playoffs, and an ACF-format final.

WHO WE'RE TRYING TO ATTRACT:
The University of Illinois ABT is pleased to invite all interested teams from any state to attend this tournament. In the past, we've attracted teams from not just Illinois but also Indiana, Michigan, Kentucky, and Missouri. Everyone will have the chance to play good teams on good questions. We're also interested in receiving second, third, ... teams from the same school.

COST:
The base registration fee is $65. Teams may receive a $5 discount for each working buzzer set they bring up to $10, for a minimum registration fee of $55 per team ($45 should staffers be needed). Subsequent teams after the first will be $55. Should we require staffers from schools they will receive a $10 discount per staffer off of their overall registration team.

REGISTRATION:
If you're interested in registration or have any other questions in general, please e-mail me, Tristan Willey, at twilley287 at gmail dot com. Please use "Earlybird" as your subject line.

Current Field (20):
Rolling Meadows
Homewood-Flossmoor (1-2)
Bloomington (2)
Hinsdale Central (2)
Springfield (0-1)
Glenwood (2)
St. Ignatius (2)
University (Urbana) (2)
Rockford Auburn
IMSA (2)
UChicago Lab
Tempname Teams (2)
tristan willey
formerly: macomb, uiuc
writer: naqt
he/him or they/them

No Electricity Required
Wakka
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: West-Central Illinois

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL - 10/4/2014

Post by No Electricity Required » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:00 pm

Field has been updated several times. We'll be capping the field at 22 temporarily.
tristan willey
formerly: macomb, uiuc
writer: naqt
he/him or they/them

User avatar
Banned Tiny Toon Adventures Episode
Tidus
Posts: 727
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 10:03 am

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL - 10/4/2014

Post by Banned Tiny Toon Adventures Episode » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:02 pm

This tournament happened. IMSA A won the first game of an advantaged final over Rockford Auburn.

Prelim and combined stats can be found here
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016

adamsil
Wakka
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:20 pm

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL - 10/4/2014

Post by adamsil » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:15 pm

There's a private discussion forum of this set open that you can access from your User Control Panel. Anyone with feedback about the set is welcome to post there or shoot me an email privately. Thanks!
Adam Silverman
Georgia Tech 2012-2016
Northwestern 2016-

User avatar
no ice
Lulu
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:54 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL - 10/4/2014

Post by no ice » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:19 pm

I'm not sure if this only happened for our team, but the stats for Round 1 (and maybe other rounds) are really messed up.
James Zhou
Hinsdale Central '16

User avatar
Banned Tiny Toon Adventures Episode
Tidus
Posts: 727
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 10:03 am

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL - 10/4/2014

Post by Banned Tiny Toon Adventures Episode » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:27 pm

no ice wrote:I'm not sure if this only happened for our team, but the stats for Round 1 (and maybe other rounds) are really messed up.
could you be infinitely more specific about what's wrong with them? I assume that they've been shuffled around or something
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016

User avatar
TheDoctor
Rikku
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL - 10/4/2014

Post by TheDoctor » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:23 am

What's up with Carbondale's (oddly distributed) forfeits?
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Head Coach, Winnebago High School (2014-)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-2012)
Northern Illinois University Quiz Bowl Association founder

User avatar
Banned Tiny Toon Adventures Episode
Tidus
Posts: 727
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 10:03 am

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL - 10/4/2014

Post by Banned Tiny Toon Adventures Episode » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:40 am

err, I think our statsperson might have inputted a round number wrong. I'm pretty sure the forfeits are right and definitely did have to leave early (I believe it may have been related to Eid?)
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016

User avatar
no ice
Lulu
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:54 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL - 10/4/2014

Post by no ice » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:11 pm

The Man Whose Pharynx Was Bad wrote:could you be infinitely more specific about what's wrong with them? I assume that they've been shuffled around or something
When I obtain our scoresheets tomorrow, to whom can I email the corrections?
James Zhou
Hinsdale Central '16

User avatar
heterodyne
Rikku
Posts: 397
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:47 am

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL - 10/4/2014

Post by heterodyne » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:51 pm

no ice wrote:
The Man Whose Pharynx Was Bad wrote:could you be infinitely more specific about what's wrong with them? I assume that they've been shuffled around or something
When I obtain our scoresheets tomorrow, to whom can I email the corrections?
Not to be rude, but why should they trust your scoresheets over theirs?
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
he/him/his or they/them/their

User avatar
no ice
Lulu
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:54 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL - 10/4/2014

Post by no ice » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:53 pm

Western Leader wrote:
no ice wrote:
The Man Whose Pharynx Was Bad wrote:could you be infinitely more specific about what's wrong with them? I assume that they've been shuffled around or something
When I obtain our scoresheets tomorrow, to whom can I email the corrections?
Not to be rude, but why should they trust your scoresheets over theirs?
I'm sure that their scoresheets were accurate, too, but the stats were just entered incorrectly.
James Zhou
Hinsdale Central '16

User avatar
heterodyne
Rikku
Posts: 397
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:47 am

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL - 10/4/2014

Post by heterodyne » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:21 pm

no ice wrote:
Western Leader wrote:
no ice wrote:
The Man Whose Pharynx Was Bad wrote:could you be infinitely more specific about what's wrong with them? I assume that they've been shuffled around or something
When I obtain our scoresheets tomorrow, to whom can I email the corrections?
Not to be rude, but why should they trust your scoresheets over theirs?
I'm sure that their scoresheets were accurate, too, but the stats were just entered incorrectly.
My point being that you still haven't pointed out what the problem was with their stats, like Andrew asked you to do.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
he/him/his or they/them/their

User avatar
no ice
Lulu
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:54 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL - 10/4/2014

Post by no ice » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:53 pm

Western Leader wrote:
no ice wrote:
Western Leader wrote:
no ice wrote:
The Man Whose Pharynx Was Bad wrote:could you be infinitely more specific about what's wrong with them? I assume that they've been shuffled around or something
When I obtain our scoresheets tomorrow, to whom can I email the corrections?
Not to be rude, but why should they trust your scoresheets over theirs?
I'm sure that their scoresheets were accurate, too, but the stats were just entered incorrectly.
My point being that you still haven't pointed out what the problem was with their stats, like Andrew asked you to do.
Because I won't have the scoresheets in my possession until tomorrow at the earliest...
James Zhou
Hinsdale Central '16

User avatar
heterodyne
Rikku
Posts: 397
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:47 am

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL - 10/4/2014

Post by heterodyne » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:27 am

In that case, what's tipping you off that they're wrong in the first place? Are the scores off? Ppb? Distribution of tossups? Power rates? I'm asking because I'm kind of confused as to what the issue is.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
he/him/his or they/them/their

kad92
Kimahri
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:45 am

Re: Earlybird at Illinois - Urbana, IL - 10/4/2014

Post by kad92 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:54 am

Hi,

I did stats for this tournament. Looking back at your score sheet for Round 1, I accidentally gave Hugo six 10s that should have been given to James. Sorry, Hugo's name was right above James's in the score-keeping program. All of the other stats for your match are correct.
Kevin Davis
UIUC '14

Locked