University of Kentucky Pre-Nationals - 5/10 & 5/11

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AKKOLADE
Sin

University of Kentucky Pre-Nationals - 5/10 & 5/11

Post by AKKOLADE »

The University of Kentucky’s Quiz Bowl Team is pleased to announce the University of Kentucky Pre-Nationals Tournaments, two high school quiz bowl tournament we are hosting on our campus in Lexington, Kentucky on May 10th and May 11th, 2014. On both days, the tournament will begin at 9 a.m. in the White Hall Classroom Building and should conclude no later than 5 p.m. Registration will take place from 8:30 a.m. to 9 a.m.

For Saturday, we’ll be using the NAQT DII SCT set and playing with NAQT rules. For Sunday, we’ll be using the Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament and playing with PACE rules.

Scheduling will depend upon how many teams register.

Teams may be made up of up to six players. Four players may play at a time for a team. Teams with less than four players are allowed. Once a player is assigned to a team’s roster at the start of the tournament, those players cannot be moved between teams.

The top four teams for each tournament will receive plaques or trophies for their performance. We will also recognize the highest scoring individual players. The University of Kentucky Spring Championship will also pursue affiliation as a qualifying tournament for the 2014 PACE NSC; the SCT event will serve as a qualifier for the 2014 NAQT HSNCT.

Fred Morlan will be the Tournament Director for both days.

Entry fees

The base fee is $120/team per event.
The minimum fee is $80/team per event.
There is a $5 discount per working buzzer system
There is a $10 discount for traveling over 200 miles one-way. This discount can be applied multiple times.
There is a $15 discount for each experienced moderator you can provide for the tournament; before claiming this discount, please contact us.
There is a $10 discount per event if you play both events, for a total of $20 in savings.
If your team has not played an independent pyramidal tournament between September 1, 2010 and September 1, 2013, you automatically qualify for the minimum entry fee of $80.

To register for this tournament or if you have any questions, email us at [email protected].
Last edited by AKKOLADE on Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: University of Kentucky Pre-Nationals - 5/10 & 5/11

Post by AKKOLADE »

Post reserved for fields.

Saturday (5):

#24 Dunbar A (KY)
Griffin Ray (TN)
#178 Hume-Fogg A (TN)
#28 Sidney A (OH)
"The Country Bears"

Sunday (5):

#24 Dunbar A (KY)
Griffin Ray (TN)
Ryan Humphrey (WV)
#28 Sidney A (OH)
"The Country Bears"
Last edited by AKKOLADE on Fri May 09, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Added information on a discount for playing both events.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Clarified that the one-way travel discount can be applied multiple times (so if you're traveling 400 miles one-way, you get 2 such discounts).
Fred Morlan
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:For Sunday, we’ll be using the Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament and playing with PACE rules.
In light of some recent confusion, does this mean 20 point powers, no negs, the whole shebang?
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Yes it does.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

We are now up to 5 teams on each day.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I was recently asked by an imaginary person I just made up if we're still taking registrations for this.

As a matter of fact, we are! Please sign up, we'd love to have you.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Hume Fogg has just expressed interest in this. Hopefully we can get a few more teams signed up too.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

We had a team drop on us this morning. Since we'd really like to have 6 teams on each day of the tournament for scheduling purposes, we're offering free entry to the next team that signs up.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Congratulations to Dunbar for winning today's HSNCT warm-up with a record of 11-1. A solo Griffin Ray finished 2nd with a record of 8-4, handing Dunbar their only loss of the day. For full stats, head this way.

Thanks to everyone that attended, including Hume-Fogg for making the trip just for today.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Congratulations to Dunbar for also winning today's PACE warm-up we played on MUT! Griffin Ray finished 2nd again. Full stats can be found here.

I'd like to thank all the teams that showed up to compete, including Ryan Humphrey for helping fill out the field at the last minute. I was impressed with everyone's play. I'd also like to thank our staffers Andrew Board, Stephanie Misciasci, Erin Stretch, Michael Anderson and Rahul Annabathula. I also appreciate the work both NAQt and the University of Minnesota put in - overall, I was very happy with the quality of both sets and enjoyed reading them.
Fred Morlan
TylerV
Wakka

Post by TylerV »

I would like to apologize to Sidney for forfeiting the last round but we left at around 3, returned to the central time zone, and still got home at around 11 pm.

I would like to thank Fred Morlan and the really cool scorekeepers/moderators I never did get the names of. Everyone was friendly, funny, and very good at what they did.

Overall I liked the tournament very much and while I wasn't too particularly fond of the NAQT questions(mainly due to the fact that im terrible at CE and geo) I loved MUT(especially the humor throughout the set). It's a shame more teams didn't come to this because it was well run and the teams got to enjoy 22 rounds of quiz bowl.
Tyler Vaughan
UW-Platteville, Rock Valley, UIUC 2014-2017
Southern New Hampshire University 2020 - ?

"God the automatic cat feeder might be the best invention ever" - Brad McLain