Volunteers needed: Entering tournaments on the DB

Post high school tournament announcements and results here, along with logistical information. Interest checks, opinions, and other in-depth discussion of tournaments should go in the forum below.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Volunteers needed: Entering tournaments on the DB

Post by Matt Weiner »

Here's an easy way to help out quizbowl on your own schedule: enter tournaments into the frontpage database that are only posted here or announced locally by other means. If you are interested in being a person who watches for such announcements and adds them to the DB, post here.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Re: Volunteers needed: Entering tournaments on the DB

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

I'm interested.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

I would also be willing.
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

So I just entered the Rochester MUT mirror on the database. Whenever I try to find the direcotr's forum name to transfer ownership to her, it doesn't show up. Any suggestions?
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

I've had a similar problem for some users. My best guess was that they may have still been in their probationary period, where their posts must be approved. I don't really know if this is the case or not.
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

If a user has never visited the database I don't think they will show up in the database user list. I should probably do something to improve that.
Jeffrey Hill • Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president • UMR/Missouri S&T 2009 • Liberty (MO) 2005
Post your tournaments, SQBS reports, and question sets to the Quizbowl Resource Center Database!
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

A way to delete duplicate tournaments posted in the database would also be a good thing, in my opinion (since the LIST III mirror at Columbia currently has 3 entries on the database).
Jacob O'Rourke

ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:A way to delete duplicate tournaments posted in the database would also be a good thing, in my opinion (since the LIST III mirror at Columbia currently has 3 entries on the database).
Yeah, as simple as it is to add a delete option it's pretty sad that I still haven't added that for tournaments or question sets. I'll try to get that done in the next week.
Jeffrey Hill • Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president • UMR/Missouri S&T 2009 • Liberty (MO) 2005
Post your tournaments, SQBS reports, and question sets to the Quizbowl Resource Center Database!
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Still looking for more people on this team...a huge push is coming soon.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
czheng0708
Lulu

Post by czheng0708 »

I am willing to do some work. Not sure exactly how to do whatever it is I need to do, but I'm pretty sure it won't be difficult.
Christopher Zheng
Great Neck South High School '15
University of California, Berkeley '19
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I could do a couple.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

The people who posted in this thread already have claimed responsibility for making sure tournaments in their home states and surrounding areas are entered. Can I get some more volunteers? This is probably the best thing you can do for quizbowl in terms of "something you can spend twenty minutes a week on at your scheduling convenience with direct benefits." If you want to help out but doing a lot of writing or TDing isn't in the cards for you right now, I strongly recommend volunteering here.
Matt Weiner
Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

Given my non-committal nature, this seems to be something easier and less time-consuming that I could help out with if need be.
Peter Cordeiro
McMaster University, 2019 +/-1
Interim President of the ONQBA
Newest Accomplishment: SCT @ Waterloo - Scored over 40PPG on a Full Team
zachary_yan
Lulu

Post by zachary_yan »

I've been transcribing things from NAQT's schedule onto the db, let me know if this is something that wasn't intended. A couple of questions: 1) It seems somewhat unjust that it says that I "own" something that doesn't related to me in any way. Is there any way to automatically transfer ownership to an admin or a generic account? 2) There seem to be a lot of events that are presumably exclusive to members of an athletic conference, is it necessary to list these up on the db?
Wayzata '13
St. Olaf College
Wayzata middle schools assistant
lumosityfan
Lulu

Post by lumosityfan »

I'd be willing to help out! Count me in!
Jeff Xie
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)