Perry Hall High Tournament (Baltimore, MD, 10/13/12)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
mfoley2
Kimahri

Perry Hall High Tournament (Baltimore, MD, 10/13/12)

Post by mfoley2 »

Perry Hall High School
4601 Ebeneezer Road
Baltimore, MD 21236
410-887-5108

September 12, 2012

Dear It's Academic / Quiz Bowl Coaches and Captains,

The Perry Hall High School Academic Team is pleased to announce that we will be holding our first (hopefully) annual tournament on Saturday, October 13, at PHHS from 8:30 am – 3:30 pm.

Registration cost is $60. You will receive a $5 discount for each buzzer system that you bring and a $10 discount for an experienced moderator. All teams must pay a minimum fee of $40. Schools may register additional teams for $50. Each team is limited to a maximum of 4 members playing at one time.

Please fill out and return the attached form along with a check made out to Perry Hall High School by Wednesday, October 3, 2012. We ask that you provide an email address so that we may send you a confirmation number. If registering after October 3, please email Marjorie Foley, [email protected], to confirm availability of spots.

If you show up without an email confirmation, your team will not have been scheduled and you may not be able to compete.
We will be using packet set IS-119A from the NAQT Introductory Invitational series. You may find rules and practice questions on the NAQT website, http://www.naqt.com/index.html. We will break for 1 hour for lunch. Team members may bring their lunch, visit a local establishment on Bel Air Road (e.g., Chik Fil A, McDonald’s), or order pizza from Dominick’s. More information will be provided at the tournament, but teams wishing to order from Dominick’s are encouraged to include this information in their registration.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with questions or to ask for more information. We look forward to seeing you at the tournament!

Marjorie Foley, Coach, & the PHHS Academic Team
Attachments
PHHS Tournament Letter 10-13-12.docx
(12.82 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
Last edited by mfoley2 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marjorie Foley
It's Academic Coach
Perry Hall High School
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Re: Perry Hall High Tournament (Baltimore, MD, 10/13/12)

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

While homecoming probably prevents Oakland Mills from sending a team, it's awesome that this tournament is happening. It's nice to see that its gone from 0 pyramidal tournaments just 2 years ago to possibly 3 this year(this one, Centennials, and a possible OM one) in the Baltimore region.
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Lord Hatefun Complainington wrote:While homecoming probably prevents Oakland Mills from sending a team, it's awesome that this tournament is happening. It's nice to see that its gone from 0 pyramidal tournaments just 2 years ago to possibly 4 this year(this one, Centennials, and a possible OM one) in the Baltimore region.
Don't forget NHBB's MD tournament at Mt. St. Joseph in Baltimore for the second year in a row - on November 10 this year! I'll pass the word along to MSJ about this tournament too, since it seems like they're becoming more active and would likely be interested.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
mfoley2
Kimahri

Post by mfoley2 »

For those of you who checked out this tournament earlier, it is confirmed that we are using NAQT packet set IS-119A.
Marjorie Foley
It's Academic Coach
Perry Hall High School
mfoley2
Kimahri

Post by mfoley2 »

As of this afternoon, here are the teams that are attending:

Aberdeen
Carver
Catonsville
Gonzaga
Hereford
Perry Hall
Quince Orchard A
Quince Orchard B
Severna Park A
Severna Park B
South River
St. Augustine
Wilmington Charter A
Wilmington Charter B
Wilmington Charter C

We would love to have an even number and are willing to accomodate 1-5 more teams, so long as we have enough buzzers (currently 8) and moderators (currently 9). Please email me as soon as possible ([email protected]) if you are interested in attending. I plan to finalize the schedule Wednesday afternoon.
Marjorie Foley
It's Academic Coach
Perry Hall High School
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

How'd the tournament go?
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
Lawrence Simon
Lulu

Post by Lawrence Simon »

I understand that the organizers of the tournament had some trouble on the day of the competition, but it's been almost a month now and the stats still haven't been posted. Are the hosts having some trouble with posting the results?
Lawrence Simon
Quince Orchard Class of '15
University of Virginia Class of '19
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Stats are posted.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
mohanmal
Lulu

Post by mohanmal »

Is there any way to get my name in the stats fixed? Its spelled Mohan Malhotra not Mohin Molhatra.
Mohan Malhotra
The Independence School '12
Charter School of Wilmington '16
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Fixed.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
mohanmal
Lulu

Post by mohanmal »

Thanks very much!
Mohan Malhotra
The Independence School '12
Charter School of Wilmington '16