2011 Fall Novice Tournament

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

2011 Fall Novice Tournament

Post by Frater Taciturnus » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:47 pm

The 2011 Fall High School Novice Tournament will be available for hosting from September 10, 2011 until December 17, 2011. Bids for hosting this tournament must be received by July 31st if you intend to host in September. There is no fee to mirror this tournament, which is being head-edited by James Bradbury (of Thomas Jefferson High School), Lily Chen (of Hunter College High School), Diana Gerr (formerly of Thomas Jefferson High School), Tanay Kothari (formerly of Bellarmine College Preperatory), Aidan Mehigan (of St Anselm's Abbey School), Max Schindler (of Ladue Horton Watkins High School) and overseen by college students.

This set will consist of 13 rounds of 20 toss-ups and 20 three-part, 30-point bonuses, plus tie-breaker questions. There will be no computational math, and popular culture will be less than 5% of this set.

Bids must include:
-The name of the school interested in hosting, and the name(s) and contact information of coach(es) and/or player(s) serving as prospective tournament directors. We do not require previous experience.
-The date on which the tournament would be held.
-Fee structures. We suggest that schools charge 70% of the normal fee in their area due to the nature of this tournament and are happy to have multiple mirrors per state depending on the circuit(s) there.
-Entrance restrictions of some kind. We have not attempted to devise restrictions ourselves because of the varying competitiveness of regions, which leads us to believe that individual hosts are more likely to find appropriate restrictions for their area.
-An estimated maximum field size.
-Assurance that stats will be compiled using SQBS. Donald Taylor and Dwight Wynne have written a guide to SQBS if your school has never used this program before.
-Information about tournament structure. (We advise hosts to run round-robin play-offs when possible and also to provide consolation matches when possible. We are happy to assist hosts in determining a format to provide the greatest number of meaningful games.)
-Anything else you consider relevant to our consideration of your bid.

All bids should be mailed to Dwight Wynne at dpwynne at gmail.com
George Berry
georgeberry.vcu@gmail.com
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007

cvdwightw
Auron

Re: 2011 Fall Novice Tournament

Post by cvdwightw » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:14 pm

Fall Novice Tournament Sites:

9/10

9/17
Boise State University (ID)

9/24

10/1
Northwestern University (IL)

10/8
UC San Diego (CA)

10/15
Ohio State University (OH)
Dorman (SC)
Virginia Tech (VA)
Bellarmine (CA)
University of Texas (TX)
University of Waterloo (ON)

10/22
St. Anselm's (DC)
Lisgar Collegiate Institute (ON)
Arizona State (AZ)

10/29
Hunter College High School (NY)

11/5
Rock Bridge High School (MO)
Ladue Horton Watkins High School (MO)
North Kansas City High School (MO)
Alpharetta (GA)

11/12
University of Minnesota (MN)
Lyndon State College (VT)

11/15
Frenchtown High School (MT)

11/19

11/26

12/3
University of Washington (WA)

12/10

12/17
Macomb High School (IL)

Bids approved pending date selection:
Last edited by cvdwightw on Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:03 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry

cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:38 pm

This is a reminder that if you intend to host this tournament in September, I need to have your bid by the end of the weekend (or at least a statement that you intend to bid and are compiling details). Exceptions will be considered but are less likely to be approved.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry

cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:10 pm

As of right now we have eighteen approved sites in sixteen governmental entities. I've started a Google map showing all the current Fall Novice sites.

1. If you think you sent me a bid and I haven't gotten back to you, contact me via PM as that probably means my spam folder ate your bid.
2. If you're one of the four schools that has yet to set a confirmed date, please let me know your final decision as soon as you make one. That goes double for the schools considering a September date.
3. If you don't see any blue markers anywhere around your area, that means that I haven't gotten a bid from anyone in your area and that you should bid.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:39 pm

The 2011 Fall Novice Tournament is currently looking for host sites in the following areas:

Alabama
Michigan
North/Central Florida
South Florida
Utah/Colorado
Iowa
Kentucky
Oklahoma
Arkansas
West Texas/New Mexico
North and/or South Dakota
Indiana (unless all demand is sufficiently covered by the Northwestern and Ohio State sites)
Central/Western Pennsylvania or West Virginia (unless all demand is sufficiently covered by the Ohio State site)
Central/Western Tennessee (unless all demand is sufficiently covered by potential Alabama and Kentucky sites)
Delaware/Philadelphia area (unless all demand is sufficiently covered by the St. Anselm's and Hunter sites)

We are in the process of contacting potential hosts in the first six of the areas on the list, though of course you are welcome to send in a bid even if you haven't gotten an e-mail from me regarding hosting. Also, please let me know if you know of a potential host school in any of these areas that may not know about this opportunity due to infrequently reading this board.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org