Search found 23 matches

by iamsam
Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:51 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Who's Going to ACE?
Replies: 40
Views: 17695

I'm going to SEMO, even though its farther, because of scheduling problems, and I was just wondering what airport people might be flying into, and when, since transportation is usually cheaper if one has a group.
by iamsam
Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:16 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Mathematics and calculators
Replies: 33
Views: 20116

I agree with Mr. Sorice on the "numerical values," I remember an question by NAQT that required you to differentiate functions, now, without a calculator, you either know how to do it, or you don't. (To Mr. Romero) Your argument that computation questions are non-academic is fundamentally flawed. Yo...
by iamsam
Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:11 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Bad Negs
Replies: 826
Views: 320382

anal prolapse for phallic stage
by iamsam
Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:17 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Decency Requirement in Quizbowl Questions
Replies: 22
Views: 10884

You should not be discussing your tournament questions and their topics here until after the tournament has occurred for obvious reasons. Second, your coach may very well know now. If one of my students were to pull this stunt with me there'd be serious repercussions. I believe he was joking, and s...
by iamsam
Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:10 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Thomas Jefferson wins third straight HSNCT
Replies: 65
Views: 33865

As I recall, TJA beat the "LAWN powers" something like 14 times earlier in the year. Not to take away from the victory, but going 14-1 against a team usually indicates who is the better team.
by iamsam
Tue May 24, 2005 9:12 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: VA/MD/DC Summer Singles
Replies: 14
Views: 7645

you could ask matt weiner for the set he was going to use at Freeman's HALO tournament (which was of course canceled). any idea yet what the fees will be? also, since its a summer exhibition type of tournament, will coalition teams be allowed? (hah i just wanted to say that word coalition, rolls of...
by iamsam
Sat May 21, 2005 6:44 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Quizbowl Team Structure
Replies: 13
Views: 6740

Your dedication to the program clearly shows.
by iamsam
Tue May 10, 2005 3:17 pm
Forum: Best of the Best
Topic: Man, does CBI suck...
Replies: 77
Views: 79092

Wow, quite the philosophizer!
by iamsam
Sun May 08, 2005 11:45 am
Forum: Best of the Best
Topic: Man, does CBI suck...
Replies: 77
Views: 79092

To iamsam, I think the point I'd make is that CBI questions are *different*, not "systematically bad". Not every format is to everyone's taste... that doesn't mean you call for its demise. Back in "the day", I clearly enjoyed CBI and the NAQT-precursors more than ACF, but I've never seen ACF as a b...
by iamsam
Fri May 06, 2005 5:49 pm
Forum: Best of the Best
Topic: Man, does CBI suck...
Replies: 77
Views: 79092

I have never played CBI (I'm a junior in high school), and from what I read, I most likely never will; however, from what I have read so far--if I am completely wrong, fine crucify me--, I don't understand why there is an argument. This is far worse than the argument about '...those awful keegan qu...
by iamsam
Thu May 05, 2005 4:07 pm
Forum: Best of the Best
Topic: Man, does CBI suck...
Replies: 77
Views: 79092

CBI questions are systematically terrible, and intentionally so I have never played CBI (I'm a junior in high school), and from what I read, I most likely never will; however, from what I have read so far--if I am completely wrong, fine crucify me--, I don't understand why there is an argument. Thi...
by iamsam
Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:09 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Highest scores
Replies: 73
Views: 40417

DaGeneral wrote:Why not just use a nation-wide test like the ACT or SAT?
Hmmm....
PRStoetzer wrote:MEAP (the Michigan high school standardized test)
PRStoetzer wrote:Michigan State
PRStoetzer wrote:Vice President, Michigan State University Academic Competition Club
PRStoetzer wrote:Location: Michigan State University
by iamsam
Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:35 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: 4/23/05 - Rumble on the Pike - Richard Montgomery
Replies: 34
Views: 18581

Image
by iamsam
Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:42 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: New York Times article
Replies: 13
Views: 6745

I was describing how you had earlier said that: Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it's not important or teams that focus more than 1% on strategy are not good teams. Moreover, because you conceded that the top quiz bowl teams in the area (probably about the best 20% or so) do not conside...
by iamsam
Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:19 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: 4/23/05 - Rumble on the Pike - Richard Montgomery
Replies: 34
Views: 18581

i.e. nothing sexually suggestive (which I have seen and know of coaches who encourage it) or overly disgusting. Considering the fact that many of the people in quiz bowl are not the "prettiest" people on the planet, I think having something "sexually suggestive" pretty much covers "overly disgustin...
by iamsam
Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:14 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: New York Times article
Replies: 13
Views: 6745

Doesn't this contradict your argument?
Howard wrote:The fact is that once you leave the top quiz bowl teams in the area (probably about the best 20% or so), nearly all teams see It's Academic as the most important academic competition.
by iamsam
Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:35 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Illinois 04-05
Replies: 586
Views: 247864

Considering that 2/3 of our varsity team is sophomores, our coach would never take us to nationals. but he told me that he isn't sure he even wants to do our own state series because of the lack of committment. Which is it? And I second what Laszlow said, my first major tournament was the Yale Bull...
by iamsam
Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:24 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: How to pry results out of tournament directors?
Replies: 10
Views: 4642

this has gone off on an extreme tangent (pun not intended).
by iamsam
Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:25 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: What do you get out of Quiz Bowl?
Replies: 18
Views: 9649

is it January 3rd by any chance?
by iamsam
Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:44 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Bad Negs
Replies: 826
Views: 320382

Dude, I was just asking about the one match which decided the state champs that was won by less than one full question. If you still wanna whine and moan, then take it to the moderator.
Dude
Illinois 1.0
Illinois 2.0
Illinois 3.0
by iamsam
Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:57 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Computational Math Crisis!
Replies: 46
Views: 48074

except
This kind of thinking is exactly why there can't be a definitive rule for math.
by iamsam
Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:46 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Computational Math Crisis!
Replies: 46
Views: 48074

Even experts might disagree on what the simplest answer should be. For example, I might think that ln3-ln2 is simpler than ln(3/2), as the former avoids a fraction. Indeed, one of the nice properties of a logarithm is that it converts a division operation into the simpler subtraction operation. As ...
by iamsam
Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:58 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Illinois 04-05
Replies: 586
Views: 247864

I think it's too late....
A Bardo Illinorum, Liberat Nos Domine.