EMACS general discussion

Elaborate on the merits of specific tournaments or have general theoretical discussion here.
anderson
Lulu

EMACS general discussion

Post by anderson »

This thread is for general discussion.

(part of this is copied over from the Discord)
I want to first thank all the other contributors to the set, who helped make the final product much more diverse and interesting than anything a single person could have made. In particular:
  • Brian Chen/betaveros contributed a whopping 33 tossups in a variety of areas, despite having little QB experience beforehand. I was very impressed by how quickly he caught on to quizbowl writing style and cluing, to the point where his last tossup (on technical interviews) went into the set with basically zero editing.
  • I was starting to burn out towards the last few weeks of writing, so Benji Nguyen was a real lifesaver by writing a handful of fun and interesting questions that required no editing. He also helped out with proofreading and left very useful feedback on both individual questions and the set as a whole.
  • At the same time, Wayne Zhao contributed novel tossups that filled gaps in areas I knew very little about (e.g. the more physics-oriented questions on the no-cloning theorem and MRI).
  • Josh Xiong, Ryan Gossiaux, and Ryan Rosenberg (who was also a playtester) also contributed excellent questions on a variety of topics.
  • The playtesters (Aakash Patel, Ryan Rosenberg, Steven Silverman, and Ming-ho Yee) all provided incredibly helpful comments across the set, catching many suboptimal clues or answerline choices.
I don't have much to say about the set's philosophy - CS in quizbowl has come a long way from the days of "algorithm-bowl" and "programming language-bowl", but I hoped this set could still show off the breadth of interesting content out there, including many previously-unasked (but still important) topics.

Before the mirror, my biggest worry was difficulty - I aimed to keep the answerlines accessible on average, with a few harder topics here and there, but I had no clue how many of the questions would play. Thankfully, it seems like most people I talked to on Sunday were having fun, so I hope I succeeded in making a set that was hard but not a slog. Benji also helped a lot with this, by pushing for easier answerlines throughout the set.

I'll end this with two personal notes:
  • When announcing this tournament, I did not fully appreciate how much time question-writing can take - I sunk way more time and effort into the set than I'd like to admit. (I have no clue how Will Nediger does it.)
  • However, I also found first-hand how fun and rewarding it can be to do quizbowl writing. So, while I don't plan on making another mostly-solo event any time soon, I would be happy to contribute to similar events others may be writing, and might try to get more into writing/editing in general.
Anderson Wang
Wissahickon HS '12
MIT '16
Santa Claus
Rikku

Re: EMACS general discussion

Post by Santa Claus »

I had a great time at the tournament. I played this with Corry and the balance of engineering-focused with tech news content really benefited us (at one point he was outscoring me despite, as I joked at one point, him not knowing what "emacs" was). This was more or less exactly what I want from a side event: interesting, fun questions at considerable difficulty that nevertheless prove to be accessible for the field and engaging to play.

I cannot precisely recall every question I played, but I do remember that every round was a great time (even when I comically negged while tied on the last tossup). I can only hope that other mirrors can replicate the experience that we had, which undoubtedly was augmented by the overall field strength ensuring there were scarcely any dead questions. I hope to see another set like this while I'm active (though I can certainly sympathize with the struggles of solo-writing a side event haha) - maybe even a sequel ("VIM" perhaps)?
Kevin Wang
Arcadia High School 2015
Amherst College 2019

2018 PACE NSC Champion
2019 PACE NSC Champion
anderson
Lulu

Re: EMACS general discussion

Post by anderson »

It took several months, but I've finally put together buzzpoint stats for the CO and online mirrors, which you can view at https://emacs-buzzpoints.vercel.app/ if you're interested. (And thanks Jordan for making the buzzpoints tool and answering my questions about setting it up!)
Anderson Wang
Wissahickon HS '12
MIT '16