FEUERBACH: October 4 or 11, 2008

Old college threads.
Matt Weiner
Sin

FEUERBACH: October 4 or 11, 2008

Post by Matt Weiner »

The First Ennial Unprecedented Edited Regular Buzzer Academic Competition Happenstance, or FEUERBACH, will be made available for hosting beginning the weekend of October 4. The idea is that, if your region is running Early Fall Tournament on October 4, you can run this on October 11, and vice versa.

This will be a regular-difficulty, packet-submission academic tournament edited by myself. The guidelines on who is supposed to write packets and what the packets should look like are exactly the same as the ACF guidelines, which you can find below:

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/acf/acf.html

As in the above guidelines, you need to write a packet in order to play the tournament if anyone on your team played a real tournament before the 2007-2008 academic year. Here is the fee schedule:

Packet submitted by September 13: $25 discount
Packet submitted by September 20: No discount or penalty
Packet submitted after September 20: $10 penalty per every day it's late
No packet submitted by September 27: You don't get to play the tournament no matter how much you're willing to pay

If your team is all people in their first or second year of real quizbowl, you don't have to write. If you would like to write anyway and get a discount, contact me about the guidelines for that.

I've already got tentative Midwest and Southeast hosts for this event and I'm looking for additional hosts in every region, so contact me at [email protected] if you are interested . Send packets directly to that address as well (not to your local TD).
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
alkrav112
Rikku

Re: FEUERBACH: October 4 or 11, 2008

Post by alkrav112 »

Huzzah.

What do you plan to call it next year?
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Also, a thought: this is going to conflict with TTGT11 in the Midwest, and while I'd rather attend a decent, God-fearing academic tournament that's much closer to home, I get the feeling that lots of Michiganders will want to go to Iowa again this year. I also don't imagine we'll be the only team in the Midwest already somewhat committed to going to Iowa. But I really like the idea of a Regionals-level tournament in October. I suppose that's all.

*gives self the non-committal, pointless post of the day award*
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
walter12
Lulu

Post by walter12 »

I guess I should come out and say that I've been in contact with Matt about moving TTGT11 to accomodate this new tourney, with Iowa then serving as the Midwest host for this new event. Alternative dates we're considering for TTGT11 are December 6th (last year's date) and October 25th (only conflicting with Rollapalooza), although it looks like there's been some talk of a midwestern T-Party mirror for the 6th... If neither of those work out we may move TTGT11 back to Spring Semester, or merely hold off until next year. If you're interested in attending TTGT11 and have a date preference feel free to e-mail me privately at [email protected] .

More on this in the next couple of days. In either case there is going to be a tournament in Iowa City on October 11th.
Paul Drube, University of Iowa
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

walter12 wrote:I guess I should come out and say that I've been in contact with Matt about moving TTGT11 to accomodate this new tourney, with Iowa then serving as the Midwest host for this new event. Alternative dates we're considering for TTGT11 are December 6th (last year's date) and October 25th (only conflicting with Rollapalooza), although it looks like there's been some talk of a midwestern T-Party mirror for the 6th... If neither of those work out we may move TTGT11 back to Spring Semester, or merely hold off until next year. If you're interested in attending TTGT11 and have a date preference feel free to e-mail me privately at [email protected] .

More on this in the next couple of days. In either case there is going to be a tournament in Iowa City on October 11th.
Hey,

I hope that's what happens. We will most certainly come to FEUERBACH, in that case.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

Yeah, we were planning to come to TTGT11 regardless but we will be at this one now if this is what happens. I do hope that TTGT11 happens again in during the Spring semester because I had a lot of fun there last year.
Kent Buxton
Truman State University '09
TSU- Science Education Grad Program '11
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

TWO trips to Iowa? Hot diggity damn. I'm willing if my teammates are; Deep Bench was great fun last year, and hopefully Feuerbach will be good times.

EDIT: And when I say "Deep Bench," clearly I mean "TTGT11."
Last edited by alkrav112 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

walter12 wrote:some talk of a midwestern T-Party mirror for the 6th
Rollapalooza is a NAQT IS tourney. Please conflict with that... even though I'm not 100% on this happening (and won't be until a week or so after school starts September 23rd.)
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

Chicago will have at least one packet-writing team at this, and perhaps more. Is the Midwest location of Iowa on the 11th confirmed?
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
walter12
Lulu

Post by walter12 »

Iowa location will be confirmed as soon as I hear back from the university about our room reservations, which should be by the end of the week. Somebody will post an official tournament announcement at that time.
Paul Drube, University of Iowa
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

walter12 wrote:Iowa location will be confirmed as soon as I hear back from the university about our room reservations, which should be by the end of the week. Somebody will post an official tournament announcement at that time.
Sadly, the 11th was the best time for us to host our high school tournament. So we probably will not be there. :sad:
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

The academic team at the University of South Carolina will be hosting a mirror of Feuerbach on October 4 in Columbia. I'll post a formal announcement on the board in the next few days as soon as a few logistical things get hammered out.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Has there been any word on whether Boston College will host a FUERBACH mirror?
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

And what about Irvine now that TTGT11 is delayed there?
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Boston College will be hosting on October 11. Announcement is pending, but feel free to get going on your packets.

Irvine declined to host and I didn't get any response from other West Coast schools I contacted.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

As a reminder, the no-penalty deadline for submitting packets is midnight EST tomorrow night.
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Michigan, Ohio State, Brandeis, and Maryland have turned in packets.

Everyone else, remember the final deadline is September 27, aka this coming Saturday. I may be able to extend this by a few days in the name of people not being excluded from the tournament, but there will be more surcharges.

Avoid paying more, and make this tournament good, by getting me your packets ASAP.
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Hey, I don't want any of the tournament sites to collapse because people who otherwise want to go are dropping out due to not getting packets done. Also, we need at least 2 more packets to come in to have an acceptably long tournament set. If you want an extension on tomorrow's drop-dead date, get in touch with me. For the sake of fairness to those who did write on time, you will have to pay at least some nominal amount more than the $70 penalty that people who turn in packets by tomorrow are paying. If that's OK with you and your coffers, then we can work something out.
Matt Weiner