Harvard Fall Midwest Mirror (11/15/08): Rockford Auburn (IL)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Harvard Fall Midwest Mirror (11/15/08): Rockford Auburn (IL)

Post by Siverus Snape »

Auburn High School in Rockford, Illinois will host a mirror of the Harvard Fall Tournament on Saturday, November 15th, 2008.

To register, e-mail our coach Linda Greene at linda dot greene at rps205 dot com. Don't forget the last "e" in Greene; she won't get the e-mail if you do. General questions may be directed at Coach Greene or at me, Siva Sundaram. My e-mail address is my hsquizbowl username at gmail dot com.

Questions
Naturally, the questions will be provided by the Harvard College Bowl Club and thus will be pyramidal, challenging, and excellent. A sample packet from last year's tournament can be found here: http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~cbowl/sample.pdf

Format
All rounds will in classic 20 tossup, 20 bonus format. The bonuses will consist of three rebounding parts read one at a time, exactly as the PACE NSC does it.
We have not finalized our plans for the format of the brackets, but we hope to use some sort of power-matching or card system.

Fees
We have not yet finalized our fee structure, but the base cost per team will probably be around $60.

Field
The field will include the elite Illinois teams (from what I've already heard, most of them should be in attendance) as well as several mid-level and some inexperienced teams. Auburn will probably enter two teams--obviously, we players will have nothing to do with the questions--so that should add to the caliber of competition. Note that we've called this the "Midwest Mirror". We really, really want good non-Illinois teams to come and expand the level of interstate competition in this part of the country. We would love to have teams like DCC, NKC, EL, St. Joe's, etc. at our tournament. If you are from out of state and cost might be a concern, please let us know so we can try to work something out.

We hope that many of you will find your way to Rockford this fall for what should be a fantastic tournament. Again, we are happy to answer any questions you may have. Just shoot an e-mail to one of the addresses given above.
Siva Sundaram, Rockford Auburn High School '09
JackGlerum
Tidus

Re: Harvard Fall Midwest Mirror (11/15/08): Rockford Auburn (IL)

Post by JackGlerum »

Yay.

I know we'll be there.
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

Now that it's the week of, can we get a field update?
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Auburn 2, Carbondale, Fenton, Fenwick, IMSA, Loyola 3, New Trier, North Boone, Quincy, Wheaton-Warrenville South 2, and Winnebago

A 16th team will be added, most likely either Auburn C or IMSA B.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

Quick results:

1. Carbondale A (7-1)
2. New Trier (6-2)
3. Auburn A (6-2)
4. Loyola A (?-?)
5. Wheaton Warrenville South A (?-?)

See the Illinois comparisons thread for a more in-depth review. I think we had our statistician using SQBS, so I'll try to get the stats posted. He might have been using his own homebrew spreadsheets, but it shouldn't be too difficult to transfer stats in that case.
Siva Sundaram, Rockford Auburn High School '09
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Do we have stats for this?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator