ACF Regionals West at UCLA: 16 February 2008

Old college threads.
chrisn
Lulu

ACF Regionals West at UCLA: 16 February 2008

Post by chrisn »

UCLA is proud to announce the ACF Regionals West Tournament 2008.

Additional Information

FEES
Base fee: $120 per team
Buzzers: -$5 each for working buzzers
Staffers: -$10 each
Travel: -$10 per team for each 200 miles travelled
Canada: -$20 for your team being from a Canadian school

New ACF teams (your school did not send a team to ACF Fall, Regionals, or Nationals since September 2005, AND no one on the team claiming this discount played those tournaments for another school) -$25 per team

New quizbowl teams (your school did not send a team to any regular collegiate academic tournament between September 2005 and January 2008, AND no one on the team claiming this discount played those tournaments for another school) -$100 per team

Minimum fee for a school: $0

GENERAL INFO
ACF Regionals will be held on Saturday, February 16, 2008.

Information for those required to write packets is at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/regionals2008.html .

Regionals this year will display a SIGNIFICANT drop in difficulty from the past few years. While it will not be quite as easy as ACF Fall, it will be emblematic of "regular difficulty" in quizbowl rather than any hypothetical "Regionals difficulty." It may compare roughly in difficulty and style to Penn Bowl 2007. With that in mind, coupled with an initiative to get teams who only played College Bowl or Honda in the past to attend this tournament, I hope to see teams display interest in regions which did not have ACF Regionals sites in 2007, as well as in the traditional locations.

REGISTRATION
Please e-mail me at [email protected] with the following information:
1. School
2. No. of Teams and No. of Staffers (if needed)
3. No. of Buzzers

TOURNAMENT DAY INFORMATION
Registration will start at 8:30 A.M. and end at 9:15 A.M. We expect Round 1 to commence at 9:30 A.M. Teams will meet in the lecture hall of Rolfe 1200 on the UCLA campus. We recommend that you park at Lot 5. However, you may park wherever you wish. We also recommend that to avoid a stiff parking fine, you obtain a temporary parking permit from any information booth on the campus. Use this website to help your navigator:
http://www.ucla.edu/map/map_north.html

If you have any questions, please e-mail me at [email protected]

With Best Wishes,
Chris Ngoon
ACF Regionals West, TD
Last edited by chrisn on Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
chrisn
Lulu

Post by chrisn »

The competitor roster is:

Stanford
UC Irvine
Brigham Young
USC
Claremont Pomona
Last edited by chrisn on Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

What is the policy as far as watching tournament matches? Are observers welcome?
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

I think it's a generally accepted policy (at least out here) that as long as there's room for you and you don't do stupid things like violate building codes or yell out answers in the middle of a match, you're welcome to watch. We have teams on byes moderate/watch all the time.
chrisn
Lulu

Post by chrisn »

cvdwightw pretty much has it said.

-Chris
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I don't know if I missed it somewhere in the original post, but what time does the tournament start that morning? What time is it expected to go to? Where on the UCLA campus will it be located?
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Are you suddenly in California?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I'm college visiting at UCLA, USC, and UC Berkeley that thursday prior to Wednesday following, so yes.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

That's cool. Also, is there a field update for this, because I'm somewhat curious.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

dinoian wrote:I don't know if I missed it somewhere in the original post, but what time does the tournament start that morning? What time is it expected to go to? Where on the UCLA campus will it be located?
I anticipate that the tournament will be in Bunche Hall at the extreme north end of campus, though no such details have been posted. UCLA has only used Bunche, Rolfe (just southwest of Bunche), and Ackerman Student Union for its tournaments since I can remember. The tournament will likely start around 9:30. Chris will post better information or I will post it once Chris sends it to the competing teams or the UCLA Quizbowl listserv.
chrisn
Lulu

Post by chrisn »

I have just posted information regarding meeting time and place for the tournament.

If you have any questions regarding navigation or anything else, please e-mail me.

Sincerely,
Chris Ngoon
TD, ACF Regionals West
Eärendil
Wakka

Post by Eärendil »

Quick results: Stanford went undefeated (9-0) to win. In second place was UC Irvine at 6-3. Ray Luo was the top scorer. Full stats should be out soon.
chrisn
Lulu

Post by chrisn »

The official results from ACF Regionals West 2008 can be found on:
http://quizbowl.bol.ucla.edu/results/AC ... dings.html

Thanks to all the teams for attending and thanks to the behind-the-scenes crew for making the tournament run smoothly.

Best of luck to all the teams for future tournaments and we hope to see you back at UCLA.

Sincerely,
Chris
TD
Rayford Smuckles
Lulu

Post by Rayford Smuckles »

Hey Chris,

Not that it matters that much, since it doesn't appear to change the individual order, but I'm pretty sure my stats are switched with Dwight's for the BYU game. Also, I definitely remember negging in the first game against Stanford, but also getting five tossups... perhaps one of my negs and one of my tossups were attributed to Marcus? A few other things look iffy as well, but I don't remember the games well enough to be sure. You guys did a great job getting everything done, and I realize that errors in the individual stats are not the TD's fault, but the product of being understaffed and having moderators (some with less experience) without a scorekeeper, so it's not a huge deal. Thanks for running a good tournament.

Mike
Alejandro
Wakka

Post by Alejandro »

Just a minor mistakes in the stats:
The TUH stat seems to be incorrect for some teams; the mistake might come from the fact that the UCI-Claremont and UCLA A-UCLA B games are recorded as having 0 TUH.

-Alejandro