Technology forum: improving quiz bowl...

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
First Chairman
Auron

Technology forum: improving quiz bowl...

Post by First Chairman »

Yes, I had to do the research. Since 1995, Chip has been doing his QuizNet competition using IRC-like technology.

Maybe technology has improved a little bit, but I have wondered with the proliferation of webcams in laptops, why have we not been more willing to use teleconference technology to do practices or run virtual practice games?

To this end, the general question to the world of quiz bowl: what technological advances would you like to see quiz bowl take more advantage of to enhance the game preparation or playing experience? I have a couple of areas I'm thinking are obvious areas of improvement.

1) Wireless buzzer systems and scoring. Seriously, interactive classroom technology exists so that students (or conference attendees) can respond to multiple choice tests or survey questions displayed on powerpoint with immediate real-time responses. I'm pretty sure that some of these programs can be modified to be responsive like on Jeopardy or like a quiz bowl match. The one area that may need to be adjusted is the frequencies at which these systems work so there is no crosstalk between game rooms, but one can keep score on these systems easily. Furthermore, the possibility of real-time score changes and statistics is feasible.

2) Webcameras and Macromedia Breeze/Microsoft Conference technology (I don't know Apple's iLife) instead of IRC chat for game rooms. With the right technology, the usual game rooms we have had could be done more interactively. Instead of typing up a question, a "moderator" can actually read a question, and people can type in their responses in the chat text window in real time. Maybe this is already happening, but for the most part there needs to be a server able to handle the demand. I'm sure that such servers are more accessible in cost by the year. So what would such a virtual practice room look like?

3) Anything else???
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

1. I don't see Wireless buzzers catching on for a long time still. I would imagine that they're too unreliable for a number of reasons. Individual units would have to have their own batteries, which could break down. Signals could get crossed with other buzzers or other rooms.

2. I would like to see someone develop online quizbowl software where questions are more synced and automated than IRC. Webcam technology is probably a little too extreme (it would be too hard to sync up, I would think), but there are easy ways to improve on IRC. I imagine some sort of text-based program that would send the entire question to each player / team's client. After each team's client has verified it has received the question, the question is then read at an automated rate to each team. The team buzzes in when they know the answer, and then types the answer. That answer is secretely sent to the "reader", along with all of the other answers and when the answer was given by the other players. The moderator sees an ordered list of answers based on when people buzzed in, and can verify from the top-down whether players got it correct.

You probably lose the ability to see what other people have buzzed in on during the question (although this could hypothetically be implemented), but you gain the ability of not having online quizbowl based a lot on reading speed and latency.

3. I would like to get a chance to make that computerized scoring / question display program I talked about making in the spring. This would hypothetically increase the speed of matches (there would be no need to switch between questions on your own, and scoring would be done automatically with a click), and be able to offer much more detaile stats about questions, similar to what Brown did by hand for EFT's bonuses this year.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

IRCle, a Macintosh IRC client, has a feature that allows sending webcam feed to other IRC users. I used this feature in like 2001.

IRC is pretty awesome, especially for something its age. It looks scary at first, but it lacks a lot of unnecessary complication that more modern technologies have. It doesn't hog RAM like AIM or MSN do.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

There's no need to use wireless buzzers to do the automatic scoring stuff we're talking about; wired buzzers would work just as well. In fact, some vendors have for years been selling USB modules that cause computers to function as systems. Now, someone just needs to write the software to do the scoring and we win.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

My high school had a set of wireless buzzers for Science Bowl. They were kind of like garage-door openers.
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

I think online/wireless trivia is great. The problems can be summed up in one word, though- Google.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

ImmaculateDeception wrote:There's no need to use wireless buzzers to do the automatic scoring stuff we're talking about; wired buzzers would work just as well. In fact, some vendors have for years been selling USB modules that cause computers to function as systems. Now, someone just needs to write the software to do the scoring and we win.

MaS
Sorice,

Can you recall which vendors these are... and what exactly do they do to make laptops function as buzzer systems?

On Mike's issue #1: actually, what prompted me to ask the question is iClicker, which some of our profs here have been using (and I presume at other institutions too) to record responses to multiple choice questions. Now, the designers have made sure that some of the receivers and senders can be tuned to different frequencies to reduce cross-talk, and a receiving module can accept hundreds of inputs. So I think the crosstalk issue can be overcome if we can create a tunable frequency system that can accommodate a large number of systems. Granted, there may be a limit, but one should not choose frequencies that interfere with wireless hubs of course. :)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I've used the iClicker in one of my physics classes and it was okay. However, setting them up sometimes was difficult, and I think maybe some people would be lost doing it. They're likely less intuitive to fix if they break down than wired buzzers as well.

And you don't really need buzzers connected to a computer to make automated computer scoring work. You just hit a button for who got it right / wrong.
Mike Bentley
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I too have used iClickers in classes, and they are susceptible to problems.

Also, the wireless system I have seen and used, Gizmo, is expensive ($575 for a 10-player set) and has problems. It was notorious for locking up on buzzer races and took a long time to sort it out, and I don't know if said problem has been fixed.

To Dr. Chuck: http://www.buzzers.com has USB buzzers.
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

ZeeCraft makes something like what you're describing. However, this comes with the caveat that it's made by ZeeCraft.
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

DeisEvan wrote:ZeeCraft makes something like what you're describing. However, this comes with the caveat that it's made by ZeeCraft.
Yep, I've used those extensively. Our high school had them. They're surprisingly consistent and don't break very easily. You can hook them up to a computer and run a scoring program on it. It's pretty neat.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

For the technologically inclined, all you need to build a USB buzzer is a switch (for buzzing), the USB-enabled CPU (those are like $5 on mouser.com) and... an expensive programmer. The programmer might run in the neighborhood of $200 but I'm not sure. In any case, the electronics and programming aspect of it is relatively simple. I'm too immersed in other things at the moment to even think about attacking this, but it would be a good project for someone. Even if you sold each buzzer for $15, you would come out ahead quickly.

edit: now with link

another edit: looks like you don't even need the programmer! Someone get on this.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Yeah; the iClicker was invented at Illinois and I've used it a number of times for several years. I'm not a huge fan. I also really don't see any compelling reason for wireless buzzers and tons against them (what happens when the battery on one runs out during a match, for example? Screw city.)
Also, Mike's right; you don't need the computerized buzzers for scoring and a clickable scoring program would be awesome, too. Why not do both (maybe starting with the latter?) The computerized scoring with buzzers will just make things even easier.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

So how would this work on a standard buzzer system. I guess that instead of a "reset" button you would have alternate ones that would include a "reset and add 5 or 10 points" button? How about interrupts/negs versus no-penalty situations?

I think if the wireless buzzers could come with a rechargeable battery, one could be able to recharge the buzzers quickly... or have extra rechargeables on hand that one can quickly insert. If each buzzer had a "low battery" LED on it as a warning, we hopefully won't have a complete power outage (at the level of one buzzer) during a game.

Obviously you can tell me more offline about iClicker since two of my other premed prereq classes use it and I'm trying to make it more cost-effective for those students to use it in my class. But I'm saying that the technology does exist to have a high enough frequency band to tune the buzzers wirelessly to one console without cross-chatter to other buzzer consoles.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

The easiest thing to do would be to give the moderator a programmatic console (as in, displayed on the screen of a laptop) so that he could see who buzzed in and would click the appropriate button (+15, +10, -5). Most USB hubs have at least 4 ports, so you could do this with two hubs per laptop.
Jerry Vinokurov
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

grapesmoker wrote:The easiest thing to do would be to give the moderator a programmatic console (as in, displayed on the screen of a laptop) so that he could see who buzzed in and would click the appropriate button (+15, +10, -5). Most USB hubs have at least 4 ports, so you could do this with two hubs per laptop.
Well the problem with this is that it would probably take up a lot of valuable screen space that would otherwise be used to read questions. It's not a problem if you use paper questions, but it seems like each year there are fewer tournaments that do this.
Mike Bentley
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:
grapesmoker wrote:The easiest thing to do would be to give the moderator a programmatic console (as in, displayed on the screen of a laptop) so that he could see who buzzed in and would click the appropriate button (+15, +10, -5). Most USB hubs have at least 4 ports, so you could do this with two hubs per laptop.
Well the problem with this is that it would probably take up a lot of valuable screen space that would otherwise be used to read questions. It's not a problem if you use paper questions, but it seems like each year there are fewer tournaments that do this.
This isn't necessarily true, and in any case is a question of smart design. I don't think there's anything intrinsically problematic with this approach.
Jerry Vinokurov
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Yeah, like, you could have a window pop-up saying who buzzed (and how long ago, automatically standardizing timing) and having a place to click for, like, +15, +10, 0, -5, or, like, clear (for mistakes or buzzer checks.) The window could go away when a scoring option is selected, so it wouldn't interrupt reading. Would this be hard to write if we can get the hardware? I know nothing about GUI programming, but it seems like it shouldn't be.

Later,
MaS
Mike Sorice
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

ImmaculateDeception wrote:Yeah, like, you could have a window pop-up saying who buzzed (and how long ago, automatically standardizing timing) and having a place to click for, like, +15, +10, 0, -5, or, like, clear (for mistakes or buzzer checks.) The window could go away when a scoring option is selected, so it wouldn't interrupt reading. Would this be hard to write if we can get the hardware? I know nothing about GUI programming, but it seems like it shouldn't be.

Later,
MaS
GUI programming is pretty simple using Visual Basic (if you're doing it for Windows) and only slightly more complicated using something like Qt (because you want to be Open Source).
Jerry Vinokurov
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

I mean, if we want to get really intensive, we can have the computer have voice recognition of certain benchmark words in the text, and then register when the buzz occurs, so that stats about who buzzes when would be available.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

theMoMA wrote:I mean, if we want to get really intensive, we can have the computer have voice recognition of certain benchmark words in the text, and then register when the buzz occurs, so that stats about who buzzes when would be available.
Unlike the things I suggested, that's actually really difficult.
Jerry Vinokurov
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Alternatively, we could have the moderator just mark where the buzz occurred...

MaS
Mike Sorice
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

You guys are too slow. I have already developed my own software for my mirror of the 2008 VETO. In case your wondering the "MARK AS CANADIEN" can also be used as a "TOSSUP WENT DEAD" Exclusive screen shot here:

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/340/vetozd0.png
Ben Dillon
Rikku

Post by Ben Dillon »

Last year, the parent of one of my players, a EE professor, had his graduate students build a wireless buzzer system for a summer project. It consists of one "master" unit that is wireless from the two "slaves" that control each side. (It's not fully wireless, though; the slaves do have cords connecting to each buzzer.)

It never locks up on buzzer races, and it only occasionally loses a signal and gives a "duplicate address" label, usually when the rechargeable batteries are low. Additionally, the master has a timer built in (that locks out both teams when time runs out) and a simple scoring system (with + and - buttons of various values) that both display on the slaves, so that each team has the current score and time remaining in front of them.
Ben Dillon, Saint Joseph HS

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as
six impossible things before breakfast!"
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Any possibility of patenting that system and selling it... or making the design freely available?

Granted, they won't get the patent until 12 years from now...

Oh how I miss the ability to have grunts... er, students working in a lab I run... :cool:
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Ben Dillon
Rikku

Post by Ben Dillon »

I'll ask him... I should point out that there may be less goodwill than previously because I didn't select his son for varsity this year as a senior.
Ben Dillon, Saint Joseph HS

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as
six impossible things before breakfast!"
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Ben Dillon wrote:I'll ask him... I should point out that there may be less goodwill than previously because I didn't select his son for varsity this year as a senior.
That's silly and petty if it ends up that way.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
rleavitt
Lulu

Videoconferencing a match...

Post by rleavitt »

I did a little research about our videoconferencing capabilities and found out that all another school would need is an IP address to call another school. We have a wonderful Tanburg (a huge TV with a webcam) that I could envision a long distance match...

My team meets Wednesdays from 3-4 EST. Anyone interested in a match? Perhaps we could share moderating responsibilities to make it fair for both teams.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

For Christmas I wound up getting a Slingbox. Now I can watch It's Ac just about anywhere in the world. :)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

I was able to whip up a little quiz bowl buzzing program today using ruby. It works using just keyboard keys as buzzers, so if you wanted to use it in a real situation, you would want to wire your buzzers into a keyboard. Or slightly modify it to use what ever USB thing you devise. It goes through and gets team names, player names, and their buzzer "name", which is just what key they are using. It is setup to ask 20 questions by default, but that can be changed too. It waits for a buzz, then prompts the moderator to give a score, and bonus points if possible. It keeps pretty detailed score stuff, so you can see who got 0s on tossups but didn't neg.

You can get the code here: http://pastie.caboo.se/133067. It requires ruby 1.8.6, and the HighLine rubygem.

The code is pretty rough, it only took me about 30 minutes, but it's just a proof of concept. I might have time to rip open a keyboard this weekend, and then I can put it into actual use.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Hmm... could you use something smaller, like a numeric keypad that has a USB connection? Or maybe four mice hooked up to a multi-USB connector to a port?
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

Will Run PACE for Reese's wrote:Hmm... could you use something smaller, like a numeric keypad that has a USB connection? Or maybe four mice hooked up to a multi-USB connector to a port?
A numpad would work fine too. I don't quite know how you would do it with mice though, it would be important to get the OS to not take them over as "mice". I think I might have a USB board somewhere in my closet, if I can find it, I could probably build something with that and release the design. but I think the cheapest solution would be something along the lines of gutting an existing input device like a numpad or keyboard.
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

I tried to run the program after installing ruby 1.8.6 and highline rubygem, but received the following error:
Command Prompt wrote:C:\Documents and Settings\William\My Documents\Academic Bowl>ruby pastie-133067.
rb
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_re
quire': no such file to load -- termios (LoadError)
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `re
quire'
from pastie-133067.rb:1
Do you know what's happening? If so, how do I fix it?
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

AlphaQuizBowler wrote:I tried to run the program after installing ruby 1.8.6 and highline rubygem, but received the following error:
Command Prompt wrote:C:\Documents and Settings\William\My Documents\Academic Bowl>ruby pastie-133067.
rb
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_re
quire': no such file to load -- termios (LoadError)
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `re
quire'
from pastie-133067.rb:1
Do you know what's happening? If so, how do I fix it?
Deleting the first line should do it.
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

Thanks. The program is great, and very useful already. I am very excited about its potential as well.
quizmachine
Kimahri

Post by quizmachine »

Hi, we provide a wired Quiz solution, enabling you to build your own customized multimedia quizzes in a very user friendly way.

Please take a look if its interesting for you...
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Dutch quizbowl must be amazing.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Fred... do you get compensated for having your previous avatar in this ad? :)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
quizmachine
Kimahri

Post by quizmachine »

Hey, why paste the Dutch picture, there is one in English as well ! :)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Will Run PACE for Reese's wrote:Image
Fred... do you get compensated for having your previous avatar in this ad? :)
There has been no Hulkamania paraphernalia Photoshopped onto that baby, so I think I'll have to let this go.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator