SURVEY & RESULTS: NAQT JIAT 2006 (10/7/06) @ TJHSST (NoV

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
BuzzerZen
Auron

SURVEY & RESULTS: NAQT JIAT 2006 (10/7/06) @ TJHSST (NoV

Post by BuzzerZen »

Announcing (using the newly mandated announcement title format, though I must admit all-caps kind of bothers me) the
n-th Annual NAQT Jefferson Invitational Academic Tournament
to take place on October 7, 2006 at Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in Alexandria*, VA. The questions will be from IS-I'll-Know-When-Hentzel-Contacts-Me, provided by the fine folks at NAQT.

Our team of marketers has come up with some selling points:
Selling point #1: As usual with our tournaments, the preliminary rounds will be Swiss-paired to encourage competetive matches.
Selling point #2: Last year's NAQT JIAT was attended by the top four teams fromt his years NAQT HSNCT, along with most other top teams from the Metro region.
Selling point #3: The top 15% of the field will qualify for the 2007 NAQT HSNCT in lovely Somewhere, Statesylvania. The top 4 teams will (pending Dr. Chuck's blessing) qualify for the 2007 PACE NSC in Who Knows, But Please Have It At GMU Dr. Chuck So I Can Walk From PACE To Graduation.

More useful details, such as cost and timing, will be edited into this thread as I get my act together. For any other questions, contact yours truly (Evan Silberman, Tournament Director) at buzzinearly <at> gmail <dot> com.

Evan Silberman
Tournament Director
TJHSST It's Academic
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

Will we be able to sign up as late as, say, mid-September. I still have no idea whether or not we'll be getting funding, and how much. =/
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

I generally let people sign up as late as they want. Doing Swiss pairing means that adding or subtracting a team requires a lot less work than removing or adding a team to round robin brackets. So as long as you are bringing us money, any time up to two days before is fine.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

OK, cool.
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

Stuyvesant will most likely come down.
Doug
Brandeis '17
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Jessie and I will be back from our honeymoon by then, so we should be available to help staff if you're interested.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I'm also assuming I won't get lost trying to find the school. :cool:
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

E.T. Chuck wrote:I'm also assuming I won't get lost trying to find the school. :cool:
Take a left on Braddock. Drive a ways. Take another left on Braddock into the school. Wham bam you're welcome ma'am.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

laszlow wrote:
E.T. Chuck wrote:I'm also assuming I won't get lost trying to find the school. :cool:
Take a left on Braddock. Drive a ways. Take another left on Braddock into the school. Wham bam you're welcome ma'am.
What is that sculpture on the front lawn of the school?
dschafer
Rikku

Post by dschafer »

Your guess is as good as ours.
Dan Schafer
Carnegie Mellon '10
Thomas Jefferson '06
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

If I could edit my original post, I would do so, but since I can't, updates:

--We've been assigned IS-60, with exclusivity for WashMarVa. MaryGiniaTon. You know.
--PACE is taking place in lovely (I should imagine) Ann Arbor, Michigan, June 17-18.
--The timeframe of the tournament will be approximately 8-9 registration, prelims 9-2:30 (incl. lunch), playoffs 3-5.

Fee structure:
$55 first team
$50 additional teams
$20 questions
-$5 buzzer discount

Send queries or registrations to me at buzzinearly <at> gmail <dot> com. I know nobody's back to school yet in this area, but for when your finance office opens up: Checks should be made payable to TJHSST, with "It's Academic tournament" on the memo line. Checks may be mailed in advance, but it's fine if you choose to bring them the day of. Coaches whose e-mails I have should be getting an e-mail from me this weekend, unless I forget.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

We are four weeks from the tournament, and we have a field post! Mostly just to bump the thread.

Woodson x2
Fairfax x2
Gonzaga
State College x2

Attention Montgomery County students/coaches: the MCPS mail server appears to have changed, since I got a mailer-daemon error from every MCPS e-mail I sent the announcement to. It may take me a while to cull the e-mails from the internets again, so just a reminder that there's no need to wait for an actual invitation: if you've heard about the tournament, you're invited. Just let me know.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Just realized... there's something going on that day that precludes me from making it out this time to TJ. Will effort for December.
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

FIELD UPDATE MADNESS!

Eleanor Roosevelt
Fairfax x2
Gonzaga
Hayfield x2
Maret x3
Marshall
Ocean Lakes
R.E. Lee
State College x2
Walter Johnson x2
Westfield
Woodson x2

There is still PLENTY of space, so get those registrations in.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Is that Lee-Springfield or Lee-Staunton? Interesting to see Ocean Lakes beginning to make trips far afield. I wonder what they will have A.K. (After Kunle.)
monack
Kimahri

Registration

Post by monack »

I'm wondering if there is something special I need to do in order to register for the NAQT Jefferson Invitational Academic Tournament. I'd like to bring two teams but haven't had a reply to emails.

Jimmy Monack
Banneker High School DC
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

[Mr. Monack: I just e-mailed you]

Everybody else:
OUR PRICES ON FIELD UPDATES ARE SO LOW, THEY'RE CRAZY!

Centennial x3
Eleanor Roosevelt
Fairfax 2
Fall's Church
Gonzaga
Hayfield x2
Howard
King's Fork x2
MLWGSGIS x4
Maret x3
Marshall
Oakton
Ocean Lakes
R.E. Lee
Robinson x3
State College x2
Stuyvestant x2
Walter Johnson x2
Westfield
Woodson x2
36 teams

We still would like to bring our field up to 48 teams, so get those registrations in pronto, especially if you are one of those Montgomery County teams I never dug up e-mails for (RM, Whitman, Blair).
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

do you have a final field update
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Ask, and ye shall receive...

Final field update

See everybody tomorrow!
Wall of Ham
Rikku

Post by Wall of Ham »

Will stats be up soon?
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Everyone knows who one by know thanks to the comparison threads, but for reference:

1. Richard Montgomery A
2. State College
3. MLWGSGIS A
4. Collegiate
5. Blake
6. GDS
7. Richard Montgomery B
8. Woodson

Top 8 qualify for PACE NSC, top 7 for NAQT HSNCT.

Prelim statistics are now up: clicky. The reports, you will notice, are an improvement over the standard SQBS web reports. They were generated by a prerelease version of QBStatGen, a program written by Dan Schafer (TJ '06). The pages use PHP and a MySQL database to store and present data, and have mad bonus features, like AJAX-y shorting. He'll be releasing to the public under the GPL before very long.

Also in the quiz bowl software pipleine, Schafer and I have been working on ItALX, a package incorporating a markup standard, a Python parser, and a LaTeX documentclass for typesetting tossup-bonus quiz bowl questions. Work has stagnated, but I'll be using it to print up our January tournament (January 14--save the date!), and we'll hopefully make it available to an eager public soon afterwards.

Really long term: I'm working on a Ruby on Rails-powered, web-based complete tournament running suite, but that's in very early stages, and probably won't see the light of day until after I get accepted to college.

Thanks to everyone who attended and everyone who helped.
First Chairman
Auron

PACE post-tournament survey for TJ tournament (October)

Post by First Chairman »

For all teams who competed at the JIAT on last Saturday, PACE is collecting responses as part of a tournament survey program which will help the tournament directors (not only with this event, but nationally) identify areas where they excel and where they may need to improve.

The weblink to the satisfaction survey for this specific tournament is open for participants. The survey should take about 10-20 minutes (I hope).

Please fill out this form. The survey will likely close in a week (around October 21).