TAUTOLOGY - Summer 2020

Old college threads.
gimmedatguudsuccrose
Wakka

TAUTOLOGY - Summer 2020

Post by gimmedatguudsuccrose »

It is my pleasure to announce TAUTOLOGY, a tossup-only speed tournament that will be ready for mirrors in the summer of 2020. The set will consist of 8 packets of 40 tossups, and is being written by myself, Ben Miller and Wonyoung Jang of the University of Chicago, and Evan Suttell of Michigan State University.

This tournament was conceived as a spiritual successor to REMISS (Richard Eberhart Memorial Impossible Speedcheck Shootout), testing knowledge of interesting, challenging topics in a fun, fast-paced format. Our questions will be approximately the length of NAQT IS-A tossups (250-300 characters) and will be powermarked. The median question difficulty will be roughly equivalent to an ACF Nationals middle part, and will balance deep cuts from the core of the canon with material that has not been well-represented in quizbowl before.

Our preliminary distribution is as follows, with a more detailed subcategory distribution coming soon:

40 Tossups/Packet
8 History
8 Science
8 Literature
6 Art
3 Religion/Legends/Myths/Tales
3 Social Science
2 Philosophy
2 Geo/CE/Other Ac.

We’ll also share more details about mirroring as we get closer to next summer.
Last edited by gimmedatguudsuccrose on Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
χ Smith
FHS '15
Chicago '19
gimmedatguudsuccrose
Wakka

Re: TAUTOLOGY - Summer 2020

We are excited to announce that the common link king Wonyoung Jang has joined our writing team! As CO weekend is looking quite busy this year, we intend to have this set ready for mirrors at any side event weekends taking place this summer.
χ Smith
FHS '15
Chicago '19
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

I assume this tournament is being delayed until in-person mirrors can be held? Playing a speedcheck tournament online sounds unfun.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
NYU '26 (ideally)
ACF
gimmedatguudsuccrose
Wakka

ryanrosenberg wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:15 pm I assume this tournament is being delayed until in-person mirrors can be held? Playing a speedcheck tournament online sounds unfun.
That is correct. We're specifically waiting for a time when in-person mirrors with strong fields (think CO or a national side event weekend site) can be safely held with a good number of people in attendance.
χ Smith
FHS '15
Chicago '19