Scobol Solo and Masonics 2018-19

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Scobol Solo and Masonics 2018-19

Post by Stained Diviner »

This announcement actually covers three sets.

Scobol Solo is a tossup only set. It contains 14 regular rounds, one replacement round, and a 60 question championship round, with tiebreakers for all rounds. It is about 400 tossups total.

The main site will be at New Trier (near Chicago), probably on Saturday, October 27. It will be mirrored at Boston Latin the same day. It probably will be mirrored in central and/or southern Illinois at a later date, though that is not yet set in stone.

To mirror, you need to either contribute 20 questions in a subcategory or pay $3 per player. The subcategories that are currently unclaimed are physics, other science, religion/myth, geography, and current events. I prefer to have all questions by September 1, though that is negotiable. (Chem, bio, math, US hist, Eur hist, world hist, military history, US lit, Brit lit, Euro & World lit, poetry, painting, music, other fine arts, and social science/philosophy are already claimed.) If you want to mirror, contact me.

>>>

The other two sets are the Masonic Sets, which will be played in Illinois in February and March (Sectionals and State, respectively). Starting the first weekend in March, the Masonic Set and a set with a lot of the same questions but a more standard distribution will be available outside Illinois. The cost is $10 per team.

The distribution of the set last year was:
Lit 4.5/4.5
History 4.5/3.5
Science not including Math 5/5
Math 1/3 (non-computational tossups, mixed computational bonuses)
Fine Arts 2/2
Religion and Mythology 1/1
Social Studies 1/1 (geography, US government, psych, econ, current events)
Miscellaneous 1/0 (pop culture, journalism, sports, agriculture, industrial arts, technology, consumer education)
It will be a similar distribution this year, but math will probably change to 1/2 and history to 4.5/4.5. There will be 12 rounds.

If you want to contribute questions for Masonics, I am paying $1.75 per question. The Math and Fine Arts is claimed, and the rest is still up for grabs. I need most of the questions to be written over the summer, though that is somewhat negotiable.

Past iterations of these sets are available in the Question Database, so feel free to check those out if there are any concerns about quality.

If you are interested in writing or mirroring, contact me.

EDIT: Mexico, Belton, and Orchard Farm in Missouri are using the modified Masonic Set, which will now be known as the Reinstein Set.
Last edited by Stained Diviner on Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: Scobol Solo and Masonics 2018-19

Piasa Southwestern, which is in Illinois near St. Louis, is going to mirror Scobol Solo on December 15.
Last edited by Stained Diviner on Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Jay Winter is going to mirror the Solo set in Iowa, probably in December.
David Reinstein
Scottietodd
Wakka

Post by Scottietodd »

The Kentucky Quiz Bowl Alliance (KQBA) is interested in using both SCOBOL and Masonics to provide data for NASAT selection in Kentucky this year. We are interested in using the sets either on one day in March or in two parts, in March and April. Do you foresee any issues with this?
Please feel free to contact me at [email protected]. Thanks!
Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Coach - 2012 to present
Stained Diviner
Auron

That seems fine. As of now, people should not plan to use Solo in Illinois, Iowa, or Massachusetts unless they have already spoken to me. Similarly, people should not plan to use Masonics in Illinois, Iowa, or Missouri unless they have already spoken to me. If I work out something with Todd, then that will take both sets out of circulation in Kentucky. Also, Boston Latin and Chattahoochee cannot play on the Masonic set. Other states/areas can still contact me about both sets.
David Reinstein
Scottietodd
Wakka

Post by Scottietodd »

We are definitely planning on using Scobol in Kentucky and possibly Masonics as well. Members of the KQBA are meeting this Saturday to finalize details, so I should have some dates available for you soon after. Thanks.
Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Coach - 2012 to present
Stained Diviner
Auron

Deviant Insider wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:02 am The distribution of the set last year was:
Lit 4.5/4.5
History 4.5/3.5
Science not including Math 5/5
Math 1/3 (non-computational tossups, mixed computational bonuses)
Fine Arts 2/2
Religion and Mythology 1/1
Social Studies 1/1 (geography, US government, psych, econ, current events)
Miscellaneous 1/0 (pop culture, journalism, sports, agriculture, industrial arts, technology, consumer education)
It will be a similar distribution this year, but math will probably change to 1/2 and history to 4.5/4.5. There will be 12 rounds.
It actually will be the same distribution as last year.
David Reinstein
Scottietodd
Wakka

Post by Scottietodd »

Kentucky will be hosting using the Scobol Solo at the University of Louisville on Sunday, March 3. Thanks!
Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Coach - 2012 to present
Stained Diviner
Auron

The 2019 Reinstein Set was used for the first time yesterday, and the response is: "Thanks again for a great set of questions! Nicely put together, easy to read, and well-edited."

If you want to use it, let me know soon. It is being used this week in Missouri, but I don't know if it will be used anywhere else.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

Unless I hear before April 30 about somebody wanting to use my sets, I will post them soon after that.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

Masonics are now posted. There are one or two states who might use Solo for NASAT tryouts, so I am going to wait to post that. I do not own the Reinstein Set entry on the database--that set will be posted once that issue is worked out, but the Reinstein Set questions are just a subset of the Masonic questions anyways.

UPDATE: The Reinstein Set is added.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

Everything is now posted. All three sets will exist next year, and I am also producing a middle school set in IESA format.
David Reinstein