Dll Preseason Poll

Old college threads.
jdpasspawn
Wakka

Dll Preseason Poll

Post by jdpasspawn »

This is an announcement for a DII Preseason Poll. The teams we are voting for are teams that intend to play/ are eligible for ICT DII (or intend to play just ACF Nationals). So because of the limited size of DII we are limiting the amount of teams you can vote for to ten. Anyone can vote who thinks they have a good sense of the DII talent coming in. I will be collecting the ballots on August 23 and posting them here. Please send your ballots to [email protected] or PM me with your ballot. We may also do a podcast evaluating the teams in the rankings. Below is a google sheets where you can post your team composition/see the team composition of all the teams you were unsure about.
Now I am expecting some questions, comments, and concerns about a DII poll that I will try to answer here.
First:
"No one cares about DII" Good point Alston. So my response to that is I think that this poll will serve two purposes. One is as a ranking of teams that will be playing DII ICT or forming a DII team for ACF Nats (which will be interesting for us DII players, our moms, and maybe a few people who support schools that will have good DII teams this year). The second reason (which I assume will appeal to more people here) is that it gives a bit of a ranking of recruiting classes. This should be especially interesting for those who don't keep up to date with who is going where as much as DII players do and don't want to comb through the entire NAQT Freshman list to find out.

"For DII eligibility, are we using the NAQT or ACF definition?" Good question. To make this simpler, (and because there are so few DII teams that play ACF Nationals) I am going with the NAQT definition only (if a player has ever been on a team that qualified for ICT they are not eligible).
If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to post them here. Otherwise, happy polling!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 58yxeiLBeM
Jack Lewis
'18 Battle Ground Academy
'24 Middle Tennessee State University
heterodyne
Rikku

Re: Dll Preseason Poll

Post by heterodyne »

For the record, I both believe what I'm quoted as saying and think this poll is a good idea and that Jack is doing a service by organizing it.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

So I definitely agree with Alston on the importance of D2. It's also hard for a lot of teams to know which upcoming freshman are going to be committed in August before any tournaments have happened--let alone going to be on the team in February for SCT. Regardless, I want to highlight some of our strong D2-elligible players who may play D2 this year.

You should definitely be aware of Evan Suttell: a lit and visual arts player who is extremely good at jazz and film. He scales up to nats level in those two subcategories and some VFA and lit as well. He's been working super hard to improve which has been amazing to see. There's a strong chance Evan is playing D1 SCT in 2019, but I want to highlight how much work he has put in. Conner Reynolds has been around for a little longer, but is still very good at lit as well as some myth, philosophy and history. Look at the stats from ACF Regs from last year to know how underrated he is as a generalist. We also have Stephen Bennett who has some super deep history knowledge and, somewhat strangely, crazy knowledge in astronomy. I think he has 30d most of the regs level astro bonuses we have read in practice recently so definitely watch out for him on "space geo." Stephen is also about my level on sports questions which is very helpful on NAQT.

The D2 SCT team will probably also have someone like either Briana Magin--a strong bio and chem player with extreme animal science knowledge-- or Aaron Kruskie who is an emerging physics-focused science player and one our best trash players.

The future is definitely bright at MSU which is great for me to see.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
jdpasspawn
Wakka

Post by jdpasspawn »

This is a reminder that you have three days to vote on the DII Poll if you wish to do so.
Jack Lewis
jdpasspawn
Wakka

Post by jdpasspawn »

Voting has concluded for the poll. We had 9 voters: Michael Borecki, Jas Singh, Wonyoung Jang, Anishka Bandara, Jacob Augelli, Rohan Venkateswaran, Rohan Vora, Vishwa Shanmugam, and Max Shatan. Thank you to all of them for their participation and help in making this poll a success!

1. Maryland Terrapins, 90, all #1 votes
2. UCLA Bruins, 69, Highest #2, Lowest #6
3. Harvard Crimson, 61, Highest #2, Lowest #10
4. Texas Longhorns, 54, Highest #2, Ranked by 8 voters.
5. Chicago Maroons, 50, Highest #2, Ranked by 8 voters.
6. Minnesota Golden Gophers, 48, Highest #2, Lowest #8
7. Illinois, 33, Highest # 4, Ranked by 7 voters
8. Vanderbilt Commodores, 30, Highest #5, Ranked by 8 Voters
9. New York Violets, 11, Highest #7, Ranked by 4 Voters
10. Bowdoin Polar Bears, 10, Highest #7, Ranked by 4 Voters

Other teams receiving votes:
11. Columbia Blues, 9, Highest #6, Ranked by 3 Voters
12. Toronto Varsity Blues, 8, Highest #3, Ranked by 1 voter.
13. Yale Bulldogs, 7, Highest #9, Ranked by 5 Voters
14. UC San Diego Tritons, 6, Highest #8, Ranked by 2 Voters
15.Michigan State Spartans,5, Highest # 6, Ranked by 1 Voter
16. Purdue Boilermakers,3, Highest #8, Ranked by 1 Voter
17. Wesleyan Cardinals,1, Highest #10, Ranked by 1 Voter
Jack Lewis
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

In case there's interest, I've created a discord server where writeups for both the overall preseason poll and this poll will be compiled. You can join at the following link: https://discord.gg/X5rHAbg
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal