Looking for host sites for 2019 NASAT

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Looking for host sites for 2019 NASAT

Post by AKKOLADE »

If you're interested in hosting either the 2019 NASAT, which will be held in June, and/or the Pop Culture National, which will be held in August, please contact me by emailing me at [email protected]. Please include information on how much local staff you expect to be available, the location of airports and other transportation options near/in your city, and information about the building(s) you intend to use, including parking near the building and game rooms in the building.
Last edited by AKKOLADE on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Re: Looking for host sites for 2019 NASAT & Pop Culture National

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

Fred, it might be really helpful here to provide some data from previous NASATs - specifically, what was the rough attendance last year, how many rooms did the tourney itself use, and what was the staffer count?
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Yeah, it'd be nice to know some of the estimated incentives for hosting as well. ACF Nats has the nice incentive that you qualify a team and you don't have to travel at all, but I'm wondering about estimated money split, tradeoffs from not being able to play the Pop Culture National, etc.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Good questions.

2018 was the third year that NASAT allowed B teams; if I recall correctly, 2016's announcement came kind of late. The fields for the past three years have been 15, 25, and 29 teams. I was surprised by surpassing 2017's field size with the shortened window. I'm hopeful that we can hit at least 25 teams next year, if not surpass that and break 30.

As far as game rooms, we'll need access to (n/2)+1 or 2 rooms, where n is the number of teams. The extra rooms are for control rooms.

The ideal staffer situation is a moderator & a scorekeeper in each room, along with 2 people who can be assistant TDs, stat input helpers, or runners.

Hosting incentives is something I do need to determine in more detail. I'd be happy to offer free entry for a team to the Pop Culture National, but the same offer for NASAT is obviously a little more difficult to offer. That said, if a state organization or the group organizing a state's teams would be interested in submitting a bid, I'd be happy to waive a team's entry fee. Additionally, we do pay hosts some.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: Looking for host sites for 2019 NASAT

Post by AKKOLADE »

Since this is something I only announced in this thread, I'll also announce here that the Pop Culture National is not going to debut in 2019. I'll be looking at 2020.
Fred Morlan
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

AKKOLADE wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:40 am Since this is something I only announced in this thread, I'll also announce here that the Pop Culture National is not going to debut in 2019. I'll be looking at 2020.
Won't CO Trash also be happening in 2020, as a presumably better candidate for the descriptor "open tournament intended to determine which team is the best at pop culture questions"? Seems odd to double up like that.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

There’s a whole summer.
Fred Morlan
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

If there can be a world champion and an universal champion...
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger