Chicago Open 2019 - Weekend of August 3rd

Old college threads.
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Re: Evanston Open 2018 - July 21st weekend

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Aaron's Rod wrote:
Guile Island wrote:
Auroni wrote:Due to issues with the room reservation process at the University of Chicago, this tournament will instead be held at Northwestern University.

:party: :party: :party: Tomate, Chicken Shack, here I come! :party: :party: :party:

In all seriousness, if anyone wants food suggestions/needs any help with where to stay or anything else in Evanston, drop me a line.
skywriting over Lake Michigan.
paging morgan venkus
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Auroni
Auron

Re: Chicago Open 2018 - July 21st weekend

Post by Auroni »

The submitted packet list has been updated (pending, as usual, extensions and other requests). Email me if you have any questions.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Reminder that the +$25 deadline is this weekend. Also, I'm aware of one team that hasn't yet emailed me to officially register; please do that.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

The +50 deadline is tonight, and you have one week of accumulating penalties to get your packets in at all, or you will be dropped from the field.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Will you let us know how much we owe at some point (i.e. if there were discounts)?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Cheynem wrote:Will you let us know how much we owe at some point (i.e. if there were discounts)?
Yes, at the opening meeting itself. Speaking of discounts, if you are coming to the tournament at all in any capacity and have the ability to bring buzzers, please do; I have raised the discount to -$10 per working set.
Last edited by Auroni on Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Is there no way we can learn how much we need to pay before the actual day of the tournament?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

If it's possible for the editors to do this, it would be convenient for us to know how much cash to withdraw before the opening meeting.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Every paying team should now have gotten an email about how much they owe. I can be paid via Venmo at any time (just look up my name), or via cash or check the morning of the tournament.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Thanks for doing that.

I'm assuming information about where we will be meeting and when is also pending, so that might influence this answer, but having not been to Northwestern in a while, where is the best place to park?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

There's a huge lot that's open on weekends on the southeast end of campus next to one of those newfangled giant buildings. Just enter on Sheridan before it intersects with Chicago Avenue.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

The Bold Ideas of Bernie Sanders (I-VT) wrote:There's a huge lot that's open on weekends on the southeast end of campus next to one of those newfangled giant buildings. Just enter on Sheridan before it intersects with Chicago Avenue.

Yup, this is free on weekends, and we've always encouraged people to park at it for NU-hosted tournaments in the past. Entering "Northwestern Lakeside Parking Structure" into GMaps should get you there.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Is this the lot/structure near the George Segal Visitors Center and the Paul Ryan Center for the Musical Arts? (which is close to where I think the tournament is being held--Kresge or Locy)

My reading of the Northwestern parking regulations is that parking on weekends is free--is this fake news?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Cheynem wrote:Is this the lot/structure near the George Segal Visitors Center and the Paul Ryan Center for the Musical Arts?
Patrick Ryan! And yes, and yes it's free.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Paul Ryan Center for the Musical Arts
: Presumably featuring an endless loop of Rage against the Machine songs paired with videos of its namesake doing P90X and talking about destroying the social safety net with his buddies at frat keggers.

Anyway, so has a building location been announced? Will it be in one of those (Kresge or Locy?) that Mike mentioned?
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
adamsil
Wakka

Post by adamsil »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:
Paul Ryan Center for the Musical Arts
: Anyway, so has a building location been announced? Will it be in one of those (Kresge or Locy?) that Mike mentioned?
The tournament itself will be in Locy (and one room in Fisk, which is adjacent to Locy). I'm still hoping to get confirmation from the administration on a larger room in Kresge to have more space for the opening meeting, but regardless, all of these buildings are relatively close together.

As a quick note to anyone using CTA on Saturday: your best bet is to get off at the Foster stop on the purple line and walk east until you hit campus (Sheridan Rd. is the western border); then, walk down around the southwest end of the campus, and Locy/Fisk/Kresge are all relatively close together in the southeast corner. If you hit the lake, you've gone too far (obviously).
Adam Silverman
BS Georgia Tech '16
PhD Northwestern '21
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

The University of Chicago will be holding our customary pre-CO practice in the South Lounge of the Reynolds Club from 2-5 today. The Reynolds club is located at the southwest corner of 57th and University, 5706 south University. The room is located on the second floor. Take a right from the staircase and walk past the bathrooms. If you require further assistance or have other questions, please email me at [email protected] or message me on Facebook. Apologies for the late notice - we had some difficulties securing a room with the school.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:Inspired by a suggestion from Alex Damisch, I shall have a packet with the theme of "annoying / mean / horrible things to make people say" - not in the sense of the answers being offensive words, but in the sense of the answer being hard to give, or pertaining to making someone say something that's annoying / hard to have to say. I'd like to read to folks at some point over CO weekend - perhaps on Friday evening. The questions may feature some amount of extreme vanity.

People are more than welcome to suggest drinking game rules to accompany this.

EDIT: Vanity warning.

EDIT 2: Further clarification
This will be postponed to Festivus. Exact spellings will be required.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Do we know yet if we are meeting in Fisk, Locy, or somewhere else?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

I am not attending CO, but I am hearing secondhand that there have been a number of canceled flights via American which may result in some late arrivals or non-arrivals. Just to let you know - hopefully the appropriate people are already in touch with tournament staff.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
adamsil
Wakka

Post by adamsil »

Cheynem wrote:Do we know yet if we are meeting in Fisk, Locy, or somewhere else?
My room request for a large meeting room was unfortunately never confirmed, but I'm hoping it'll still be open to us early in the morning, so we're going to plan on meeting in Kresge 2380 tomorrow morning regardless, and if that's not a viable option, then I'll hang up some signs in Kresge directing teams to a new meeting place in Locy. We would contact teams about that as well by around 8 am. None of the Locy rooms are really due to fit more than about 30 people at a time, and I'd rather not have to squeeze everyone into hallways if we don't have to. All three buildings are very close together, so this shouldn't impact anyone's early morning plans. Sorry about any confusion.
Adam Silverman
BS Georgia Tech '16
PhD Northwestern '21
adamsil
Wakka

Post by adamsil »

adamsil wrote:
Cheynem wrote:Do we know yet if we are meeting in Fisk, Locy, or somewhere else?
My room request for a large meeting room was unfortunately never confirmed, but I'm hoping it'll still be open to us early in the morning, so we're going to plan on meeting in Kresge 2380 tomorrow morning regardless, and if that's not a viable option, then I'll hang up some signs in Kresge directing teams to a new meeting place in Locy. We would contact teams about that as well by around 8 am. None of the Locy rooms are really due to fit more than about 30 people at a time, and I'd rather not have to squeeze everyone into hallways if we don't have to. All three buildings are very close together, so this shouldn't impact anyone's early morning plans. Sorry about any confusion.
Update: Kresge was locked, we will be convening in Fisk 114! Signs have been posted as a reminder.
Adam Silverman
BS Georgia Tech '16
PhD Northwestern '21
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Jonah Greenthal
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Jonah, will you ever take the stats for this tournament and 2015 CO and have them uploaded to the main HSQB database?
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

vinteuil wrote:
Jonah, will you ever take the stats for this tournament and 2015 CO and have them uploaded to the main HSQB database?
I don't have access to do so, but anyone who does is welcome to do it. The data files are in the same directories ("2015_Chicago_Open.sqbs", "prelim.sqbs", future files will be named the same way).
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Prelim standings are complete at the above link. Playoff standings will be here.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Monday Begins on Saturday, and Sunday Comes Afterwards (Matt Bollinger, Shan Kothari, Adam Silverman, and Matt Weiner) defeated A Dead Meme Isn't Art (Ike Jose, John Lawrence, Jakob Myers, and Andrew Wang) in the first game of an advantaged final. I don't have the scoresheet for the final yet, so I entered it as a forfeit here. Once I get the scoresheet, I'll add the details and final rankings.
Jonah Greenthal
touchpack
Rikku

Post by touchpack »

jonah wrote:Monday Begins on Saturday, and Sunday Comes Afterwards (Matt Bollinger, Shan Kothari, Adam Silverman, and Matt Weiner) defeated A Dead Meme Isn't Art (Ike Jose, John Lawrence, Jakob Myers, and Andrew Wang) in the first game of an advantaged final. I don't have the scoresheet for the final yet, so I entered it as a forfeit here. Once I get the scoresheet, I'll add the details and final rankings.
I was told that we won our protest against Art Deko Basilisk, and thus won that game (score was tied going into tossup 21, 15 point swing from removing the neg and giving us the 10 wins us the game) We didn't bother playing a replacement bonus.
Billy Busse
University of Illinois, B.S. '14
Rosalind Franklin University, M.S. '21, M.D. Candidate '25
Emeritus Member, ACF
Writer/Subject Editor/Set Editor, NAQT
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

touchpack wrote:
jonah wrote:Monday Begins on Saturday, and Sunday Comes Afterwards (Matt Bollinger, Shan Kothari, Adam Silverman, and Matt Weiner) defeated A Dead Meme Isn't Art (Ike Jose, John Lawrence, Jakob Myers, and Andrew Wang) in the first game of an advantaged final. I don't have the scoresheet for the final yet, so I entered it as a forfeit here. Once I get the scoresheet, I'll add the details and final rankings.
I was told that we won our protest against Art Deko Basilisk, and thus won that game (score was tied going into tossup 21, 15 point swing from removing the neg and giving us the 10 wins us the game) We didn't bother playing a replacement bonus.
I entered what was on the scoresheet. Auroni can send me corrections as necessary.
Jonah Greenthal
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

jonah wrote:Monday Begins on Saturday, and Sunday Comes Afterwards
I approve of this team name.

I don't suppose anyone has any plans to mirror CO, say, maybe in the greater NYC area? You know, for those of us (me) who got rekt by the airlines.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

This was a great tournament, thanks to everyone who put it on.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

I liked this set a lot. Thanks to everyone involved in producing it!
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

An Economic Ignoramus wrote:I liked this set a lot. Thanks to everyone involved in producing it!
It was a very fun set to mod, including probably the best bonus part I've ever come across.

Trash was a hoot. Thanks to Auroni, Jonah, Rob, Andrew, Carsten, Joe, and everyone else for making this weekend happen.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Is it alright to discuss the set now? I wrote two of the CS tossups, and though my contribution was minimal, would love to get feedback on those if people had any.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Thanks to everyone for coming out and playing/enduring CO this year (and apologies for the late finish time), and congrats to Matt, Matt, Shan, and Adam for winning in an exciting series of final games. Sadly, because the set has been spreading around, I'm not completely comfortable with the idea of future mirrors, although maybe I can be convinced to allow someone to run tournaments on the set on the honor system (and in any case, I won't have the time to run something myself either in the NYC area or online). A discussion thread will be made shortly, and complete stats with all corrections is also soon forthcoming. I am willing to read the final unused packet of the set on the Discord sometime in the evening this week, potentially as early as tomorrow or Wednesday. The set itself will be posted after we fix some factual errors and grammar issues.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Final stats with ranks: prelim, playoff, combined
Jonah Greenthal
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

The last packet will be read on the Discord at 8 PM EST tonight.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

I don't want to be the annoying stats guy, but is there any chance stats from this tournament could get posted to the DB soon?
Jakob M. (they/them)
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

An Economic Ignoramus wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:33 pm I don't want to be the annoying stats guy, but is there any chance stats from this tournament could get posted to the DB soon?
I do mean to be the annoying stats guy, since it's been a few months now.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

heterodyne wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:31 pm
An Economic Ignoramus wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:33 pm I don't want to be the annoying stats guy, but is there any chance stats from this tournament could get posted to the DB soon?
I do mean to be the annoying stats guy, since it's been a few months now.
Second this
Michael Etzkorn
Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy '16
UIUC '21
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

I'm working on converting stats from this from QBWiki to SQBS since Jonah seems to show no interest in doing so. Stats should be up within a day, which in my opinion is a reasonable amount of time to make people wait for accessible stats in a standardized format (as opposed to, say, at least three months).
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

An Economic Ignoramus wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:28 pmI'm working on converting stats from this from QBWiki to SQBS since Jonah seems to show no interest in doing so.
Stats are already in SQBS. I mentioned above how to get the data files, but to be even more explicit, they are here: As I also mentioned, as far as I know, I don't have privileges to put the stats anywhere else relevant, and I don't know how. If anyone can and wants to put them elsewhere, great.
Jonah Greenthal
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

You also do not need the SQBS files (though they are good to have to regenerate the files if needed). Simply download all the HTML files (_standings, _individuals, _games, _teamdetail, _playerdetail, _rounds) and they can be uploaded to the HSQB DB.

(This is not to say I don't think this is Jonah's responsibility as the stats person, since it would take under 5 minutes to create the tournament [it does not exist on the DB as far as I can tell] and upload stats.)
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

jonah wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:48 pm As I also mentioned, as far as I know, I don't have privileges to put the stats anywhere else relevant, and I don't know how. If anyone can and wants to put them elsewhere, great.
I am a bit confused by this. As far as I can tell, creating a tournament on the DB can be done via a single button and filling out one form by anyone with a forums account. Does your account lack this capability for some reason? In any case, if you don't currently understand this process, it seems to me that you ought to learn how to do it before doing statistics for further tournaments, as uploading those statistics to the community-used indexed and searchable database is one of the tasks conventionally expected of a stats person.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

heterodyne wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:20 pm
jonah wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:48 pmAs I also mentioned, as far as I know, I don't have privileges to put the stats anywhere else relevant, and I don't know how. If anyone can and wants to put them elsewhere, great.
As far as I can tell, creating a tournament on the DB can be done via a single button and filling out one form by anyone with a forums account. Does your account lack this capability for some reason?
I assume I can do anything that any ordinary user can do, and I didn't know there wasn't already an entry. If there were one, then (based on how other events appear to work, and rightly so) I wouldn't have the privileges to do anything to it. But if there's not, it seems to me that the tournament director should be the one to create it—based on the one event I created long ago (and which I actually TDed), it looks to me like whoever creates an event will be listed as the "owner" and "contact" for the event, which would not be correct for me relative to this tournament, and I don't want to be listed as such.

heterodyne wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:20 pmIn any case, if you don't currently understand this process, it seems to me that you ought to learn how to do it before doing statistics for further tournaments, as uploading those statistics to the community-used indexed and searchable database is one of the tasks conventionally expected of a stats person.
I'm comfortable with my current capabilities, predilections, and idiosyncrasies as a statistician. You've made your point that you're not, and that's fine. If and when I do stats for tournaments in the future, I will continue to make the results available in the ways I have for many years, which includes making the data files available for anyone who wants to do other things with them.
Jonah Greenthal
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Yeah jeez guys. There is an awfully lot amount of vitriol in this thread for someone who volunteered his time to do stats at a large open tournament and made those stats available in a way that satisfied probably 98% of use cases right away.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Stats are up. Thanks for your help, Jonah! (For future reference, it is perfectly possible to list someone else's email as the contact on a stat-database entry you own)
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
Cody

Post by Cody »

Transferring DB entries is how you resolve who is listed as the owner. Usually, the tournament director will make the DB entry (which did not happen in this case). Then they transfer the entry to the stats person at the appropriate time so stats can be uploaded. It often makes the most sense for the stats person to be the final owner, so that they can issue corrections to stats without needing go through all the transferring a bunch of time. But if the stats person does not wanted to be listed as the owner, they can transfer the entry back to the person who created it. It's a very simple process, and the owner of the DB entry for a tournament ultimately does not mean very much.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Mike Bentley wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:29 am Yeah jeez guys. There is an awfully lot amount of vitriol in this thread for someone who volunteered his time to do stats at a large open tournament and made those stats available in a way that satisfied probably 98% of use cases right away.
I do not see a lot of vitriol in the thread.

It seems to me that Jonah did a good job as stats director at the tournament (I was not there, but I haven't seen anything to the contrary and Jonah is quite good at doing stats). But, part of doing stats for a tournament is uploading them to the HSQB DB, which is a basic quizbowl norm. If this were a difficult proposition, perhaps I (and others) would understand Jonah's reticence.

But, I have used the HSQB DB for over 6 years. (The first tournament I'm associated with on the DB was April 14, 2012.) If I had the HTML & SQBS files, I could upload 3 separate stat reports in under 1 minute to an existing entry. While Jonah has never used the HSQB DB, he is obviously proficient with technology and would probably knock it out in 10, maybe 15, minutes at most.

On the flip side, it is impossible to find/access statistics on the QBWiki without visiting this thread or knowing the URL to the statistics in full (i.e. having it in your history). You cannot search for the statistics at https://www.qbwiki.com. Even if you remembered the root folder they were in, you couldn't access the statistics at https://www.qbwiki.com/statistics/. Not even https://www.qbwiki.com/statistics/2018-chicanston-open/ works. This problem is resolved by using the HSQB DB and is but one reason why it exists. (And, indeed, being able to find the stats from any of the above would not resolve the issue at hand.)

There is certainly a little bit of people talking past each other (what with the entry for CO never being created), but complying with the quizbowl norm here is a simple task that takes very little time. Someone involved in the tournament needs to do it, and it's the stats person's responsibility to make sure it happens (even if they have to forward the stats files, as occurred here – and something that should've occurred a while ago).
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.