CMST: Errata

Old college threads.
aseem.keyal
Wakka

CMST: Errata

Post by aseem.keyal »

Please note any errors with questions here.
Aseem Keyal
Berkeley '18
Sygyt/Kargyraa
Lulu

Re: CMST: Errata

Post by Sygyt/Kargyraa »

The question on Greece with modern poetry clues was a bit confusing - Cavafy spent all of his writing life in Alexandria, Egypt, and I only recognized the clues based on him when I buzzed, causing me to neg with "Egypt", so that might be a question you want to rephrase.
Zhenglin Liu
University of Toronto BASc MechEng 1T9+PEY, Engineering Science dropout
University of Cambridge (Clare College) MPhil Environmental Policy 2T2
csheep
Wakka

Post by csheep »

Can I see the bonus on Cultural Revolutions? One of the dates sounded wrong but I could've misheard.
Michael Z
NYU '13
aseem.keyal
Wakka

Post by aseem.keyal »

csheep wrote:Can I see the bonus on Cultural Revolutions? One of the dates sounded wrong but I could've misheard.
14. Sheila Fitzpatrick argued that events like the Shakhty Trial and the activities of groups like RAPP contributed to one of these events which took place in the Soviet Union from 1928–1931. For 10 points each:
[10] Name this type of event. Roderick MacFarquhar wrote a three-volume work on the “origins” of another one of these events, which focuses on elite politics and begins in 1956.
ANSWER: cultural revolutions [prompt on revolutions]
[10] MacFarquhar begins his history of the Chinese Cultural Revolution in 1956 because that was the year of the Secret Speech, which Mao saw as representing a deviation from orthodox Marxism denoted by this term. This term is also used to refer to a school of Western historians of the Soviet Union, which included Sheila Fitzpatrick, that reacted against the “totalitarian” school.
ANSWER: revisionism [or revisionists]
[10] As a part of the Chinese Cultural Revolution’s effort to combat revisionism, an enormous number of copies of this pocket-sized, brightly-bound book were printed. Its contents were a series of authoritative statements on topics like “People’s War” and “Contradictions among the People.”
ANSWER: The Little Red Book [or Quotations from Chairman Mao Tse-tung; or Xiao hong shu; or Mao Zhuxi Yulu]
<MC, Other History>
Aseem Keyal
Berkeley '18
csheep
Wakka

Post by csheep »

aseem.keyal wrote:
csheep wrote:Can I see the bonus on Cultural Revolutions? One of the dates sounded wrong but I could've misheard.
14. Sheila Fitzpatrick argued that events like the Shakhty Trial and the activities of groups like RAPP contributed to one of these events which took place in the Soviet Union from 1928–1931. For 10 points each:
[10] Name this type of event. Roderick MacFarquhar wrote a three-volume work on the “origins” of another one of these events, which focuses on elite politics and begins in 1956.
[10] MacFarquhar begins his history of the Chinese Cultural Revolution in 1956 because that was the year of the Secret Speech, which Mao saw as representing a deviation from orthodox Marxism denoted by this term. This term is also used to refer to a school of Western historians of the Soviet Union, which included Sheila Fitzpatrick, that reacted against the “totalitarian” school.
[10] As a part of the Chinese Cultural Revolution’s effort to combat revisionism, an enormous number of copies of this pocket-sized, brightly-bound book were printed. Its contents were a series of authoritative statements on topics like “People’s War” and “Contradictions among the People.”
ANSWER: The Little Red Book [or Quotations from Chairman Mao Tse-tung; or Xiao hong shu; or Mao Zhuxi Yulu]
<MC, Other History>
The MacFarquhar book is about the Chinese Cultural Revolution, which began in 1966 and not 1956. That confused me and made me say "famines" instead of CR. The first volume of the MacFarquhar book is subtitled "1. Contradictions Among the People, 1956-1957 " but that's the prelude to the CR itself, and not when it began. The phrasing is ambiguous on whether it was the CR that began in 1956 or the book, and could probably be changed.
Michael Z
NYU '13
Conquistador
Lulu

Post by Conquistador »

csheep wrote:
aseem.keyal wrote:
<MC, Other History>
The MacFarquhar book is about the Chinese Cultural Revolution, which began in 1966 and not 1956. That confused me and made me say "famines" instead of CR. The first volume of the MacFarquhar book is subtitled "1. Contradictions Among the People, 1956-1957 " but that's the prelude to the CR itself, and not when it began.
This was meant to suggest that the book itself begins in 1956; I apologize if it was confusingly-worded.
Michael Coates
University of California, Berkeley '17, '21
University of Chicago '15
Warren G. Harding High School (Warren, OH) '12
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

In the ozonolysis tossup (round 7), the mod in my room pronounced "periodic acid" the obvious, incorrect way. It might be prudent to put a pronunciation guide there if it wasn't the case that there already was one he didn't see.
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
Sam
Rikku

Post by Sam »

The tossup on "National Security Council" calls it an "agency" throughout. That seems misleading, at best, though admittedly I'd be hard-pressed to think of a good filler word that doesn't immediately give the game away.
Sam Bailey
Minnesota '21
Chicago '13
Conquistador
Lulu

Post by Conquistador »

Sam wrote:The tossup on "National Security Council" calls it an "agency" throughout. That seems misleading, at best, though admittedly I'd be hard-pressed to think of a good filler word that doesn't immediately give the game away.
Yes, I thought for a while about the best word to use here. Britannica calls it an agency, so I ended up going with that, and I don't think it's inaccurate to call it an agency given that it now has a staff of a few hundred people working for it. But I can see how it might be misleading, especially since it's best known as a kind of forum.
Michael Coates
University of California, Berkeley '17, '21
University of Chicago '15
Warren G. Harding High School (Warren, OH) '12
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

Conquistador wrote:
Sam wrote:The tossup on "National Security Council" calls it an "agency" throughout. That seems misleading, at best, though admittedly I'd be hard-pressed to think of a good filler word that doesn't immediately give the game away.
Yes, I thought for a while about the best word to use here. Britannica calls it an agency, so I ended up going with that, and I don't think it's inaccurate to call it an agency given that it now has a staff of a few hundred people working for it. But I can see how it might be misleading, especially since it's best known as a kind of forum.
I had the same experience -- perhaps "this governmental body"?
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
khannate
Lulu

Post by khannate »

Could I see the tossup on type I error?
Samir Khan
UChicago '19
aseem.keyal
Wakka

Post by aseem.keyal »

khannate wrote:Could I see the tossup on type I error?
10. A procedure to determine this value computes the largest value of k satisfying an upper bound of “k over m times this value.” That method, the Benjamini-Hochberg procedure, is used in a setting that analogizes this value to a portion of the “discoveries.” This quantity is plotted on the x-axis of receiver operating characteristic curves, or ROC (“R-O-C”) curves. For multiple tests, this quantity is given by the FWER, and it is adjusted by dividing this value by the number of comparisons in the Bonferroni correction. One minus this quantity defines the (*) interval of a confidence interval. The p-value is smallest value of this quantity for which the test procedure rejects. This quantity, often symbolized with alpha, is commonly chosen to be 0.05, and is also known as the significance level. This quantity is the rate at which the null hypothesis is falsely rejected. For 10 points, name this quantity also known as the false positive rate, a statistical error in hypothesis testing along with the type-II error rate.
ANSWER: type-I error rate [or false positive rate before mention; or significance level before mention; or p-value before “x-axis” is read; prompt on error rate; prompt on alpha before mention]
<JN, Math>
Aseem Keyal
Berkeley '18
khannate
Lulu

Post by khannate »

aseem.keyal wrote:
khannate wrote:Could I see the tossup on type I error?
10. A procedure to determine this value computes the largest value of k satisfying an upper bound of “k over m times this value.” That method, the Benjamini-Hochberg procedure, is used in a setting that analogizes this value to a portion of the “discoveries.” This quantity is plotted on the x-axis of receiver operating characteristic curves, or ROC (“R-O-C”) curves. For multiple tests, this quantity is given by the FWER, and it is adjusted by dividing this value by the number of comparisons in the Bonferroni correction. One minus this quantity defines the (*) interval of a confidence interval. The p-value is smallest value of this quantity for which the test procedure rejects. This quantity, often symbolized with alpha, is commonly chosen to be 0.05, and is also known as the significance level. This quantity is the rate at which the null hypothesis is falsely rejected. For 10 points, name this quantity also known as the false positive rate, a statistical error in hypothesis testing along with the type-II error rate.
ANSWER: type-I error rate [or false positive rate before mention; or significance level before mention; or p-value before “x-axis” is read; prompt on error rate; prompt on alpha before mention]
<JN, Math>
This is a great idea for a tossup. The answerline hasn't come up before, but is still something important and gettable. Unfortunately, I think there's several technical issues with it:

1. Why is p-value being accepted before "x-axis" is read? There's no sense in which type I error is a different name for or a version of p-value. As it happens, I misunderstood the first clue and buzzed in with p-value, but I should have been negged.
2. That being said, the clues about Benjamini-Hochberg are confusing and wrong. The false discovery rate is not "analogous" to the type I error rate. It's a different quantity related to the type I error. Also, the Benjamini-Hochberg procedure does not determine the FDR, it just guarantees an upper bound on it.
3. The FWER clue is wrong as well. It is not the type I error rate for multiple testing; it is a different quantity related to the type I error.
Samir Khan
UChicago '19
aseem.keyal
Wakka

Post by aseem.keyal »

khannate wrote: 1. Why is p-value being accepted before "x-axis" is read? There's no sense in which type I error is a different name for or a version of p-value. As it happens, I misunderstood the first clue and buzzed in with p-value, but I should have been negged.
2. That being said, the clues about Benjamini-Hochberg are confusing and wrong. The false discovery rate is not "analogous" to the type I error rate. It's a different quantity related to the type I error. Also, the Benjamini-Hochberg procedure does not determine the FDR, it just guarantees an upper bound on it.
3. The FWER clue is wrong as well. It is not the type I error rate for multiple testing; it is a different quantity related to the type I error.
With Samir's gracious help on rewording these clues, these issues have been fixed for future mirrors.
Aseem Keyal
Berkeley '18
Protean
Lulu

Post by Protean »

Could I see the tossup on artemisinin? Is there a particular reason that it doesn't seem to accept or at least prompt on qinghaosu?
Raymond Chen
McMaster University, 2017
University of Toronto, 202x
aseem.keyal
Wakka

Post by aseem.keyal »

Protean wrote:Could I see the tossup on artemisinin? Is there a particular reason that it doesn't seem to accept or at least prompt on qinghaosu?
Jay Keasling has engineered both S. cerevisiae and E. coli to produce a precursor to this compound, the intracellular activity of which results in the inactivation of the SERCA (“SUR-kuh”) calcium pump found in the ER and in the sarcoplasmic reticulum. One proposed mechanism for this drug’s medicinal properties focuses on its ability to alkylate translationally-controlled tumor protein, or TCTP. In humans, the alkylating activity of this drug also disrupts the heme detoxification pathway by binding free heme molecules and converting this drug into a cytotoxic carbon-centered (*) radical. Oxidative damage from that cleavage of this drug’s central endoperoxide bridge provides the leading theory for this drug’s mechanism of action. The discovery that this herbal byproduct possessed anti-parasitic properties resulted in the Chinese biologist Tu Youyou winning the 2015 Nobel Prize in Medicine. For 10 points, name this drug that has proved more effective than quinine for use in the widespread treatment of malaria.
ANSWER: artemisinin(s) [accept a variety of artemisinin-derived compounds, such as: artemether or artesunate or artemiside or artemisone or arteether or dihydroartemisinin or SM934 or SM905]
<RH, Biology>
In retrospect, that answer should be acceptable. It'll be added for future mirrors.
Aseem Keyal
Berkeley '18
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

One thing I forgot to mention: the tossup on the lambda phage calls it an "organism" throughout, which is highly misleading.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
csheep
Wakka

Post by csheep »

The toss-up on "red" drawing on Asian art had a mistake, I believe, in the title of the Castiglione painting. "Auspicious Objects" refers to some paintings he did of flowers in vases and stuff, and the described painting is called "The Pine, Hawk and Glossy Ganoderma." Apparently a lot of blogs/social media/sharing sites mislabel it as "Auspicious Objects."
http://arthistoryreference.com/cgi-bin/ ... rt2=a50027

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... oderma.jpg
Michael Z
NYU '13
Rikku
Location: a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York

Post by 1.82 »

Packet 5:
Though Erwin “Machine-Gun” Walker’s death sentence was commuted to life in prison by a member of this family, he approved the death sentences of female inmates Elizabeth Duncan and Caryl Chessman.
Not only was Caryl Chessman a man, but in fact he changed his name from Carol because he was tired of people assuming otherwise.

Aside from that, this was a delightful set to read, and I was particularly delighted by the work of Michael Coates and Eric Chen.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17