EFT @ University of Toronto (October 14th, 2017)

Old college threads.
Calculus?
Wakka

EFT @ University of Toronto (October 14th, 2017)

Post by Calculus? »

Hello Canada!

The Unviersity of Toronto Academic Trivia Club is pleased to announce a mirror of Early Fall Tournament on October 14th, 2017. More information on the set can be found here. This tournament will take place in the GALBRAITH BUILDING (35 Saint George Street). We have never hosted a tournament here before so it is probably new to you. The tournament will begin at 9:00 AM sharp, so please be in the control room (244) at 8:30 AM.

Fees and discounts
NB: All fees are in CAD.

Base fee: $135
Buzzer discount: $-5 per functioning system
Staffer discount: $-10 per functioning moderator
Travel discount: $-10 for teams travelling more than 321 km (200 miles) one way.

Eligibility and registration

Eligibility for this tournament will be the same as for the main site: "High schoolers may play, and can play on chimera teams with permission, but permission will only be granted if they are unable to play with their school team (teammate unwillingness to attend is a fine reason)." If you're in university and need to play on a chimera team for some reason, let me know your situation and we'll work something out.

To register, please send me an email at uoftquizbowl [AT] gmail [DOT] com with your school name, how many teams you're sending, and any discounts you want to claim.

As usual, I will accept cash, cheque, or e-transfer. Cheques should be made out to "University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club", not to me personally.

There will be a hard field cap of 11 teams for this tournament.

Field

Toronto B
Toronto C
Toronto D
Toronto E
Toronto F
Waterloo A
Waterloo B
McGill A
McGill B
Carleton
McMaster

Side Events

On the Sunday of this weekend (the 15th), we will be running both Eyes That Do Not See IX and Julien's currently unnamed (?) visual movies tournament. We will probably begin those around 10:30-11:00 AM. Both events will be free of charge.

If you have any questions, comments, concerns, etc. please post them here. See you all in October!
Last edited by Calculus? on Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Meghan Torchia
President, University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club (2015-2018)
"Garlic 2: Around the World" LearnedLeague 1-Day 49th/1150 (96th %ile), February 9th, 2022
University of Toronto, 2018, 2023
Calculus?
Wakka

Re: EFT @ University of Toronto (October 14th, 2017)

Post by Calculus? »

Post updated with locations and field cap. Due to October 14th apparently being an extremely popular day to host events at U of T, all our normal tournament buildings were completely booked. As a result, we have been placed in GB, and all our rooms are actually lecture theatres so get ready for that.
Meghan Torchia
"Garlic 2: Around the World" LearnedLeague 1-Day 49th/1150 (96th %ile), February 9th, 2022
Calculus?
Wakka

Post by Calculus? »

The field now has 11 teams and is therefore full. If you are still interested in fielding a team, let me know and I will waitlist you in case of a drop.
Meghan Torchia
Calculus?
Wakka

Post by Calculus? »

Hello! This is your logistics post for EFT this Saturday, presented to you in a convenient FAQ style format.

Q: Where are we meeting on Saturday?
A: We are meeting in GB 244. This is on the second floor of the Galbraith building at 35 Saint George Street, just north of College Street. Please consult a map of the campus if you are still not sure where that is.

Q: What is the best way for me to get there?
A: If you are taking the TTC, Queen's Park or St. George will be the closest stations, or you can take the College streetcar and get off at St. George Street. If you are driving, there is parking in the Rotman building at 107 St. George Street.

Q: Will there be any TTC or road closures this weekend?
A: Line 1 of the subway will be closed from St. Clair to Lawrence Stations. There will be no major road closures I am aware of.

Q: What time should we meet?
A: A lot of people seem to have trouble with this one so I'm going to say it really loudly so everyone hears me.
BE THERE BY 8:30.
Staffers, we are using online scoresheets like we did at ACRONYM so I need time to set you all up and make sure you're clear on how to use them.
Players, I need to register you, process payments, and set up your buzzers if you are bringing them. The games start at 9:00 and arriving after 8:30 will not give me enough time to do this.
IF YOU ARRIVE AFTER 9:00 I WILL START WITHOUT YOU.

Q: Oh, well the games start at 9:00 so it's fine if I arrive at 8:55 right?
A: NO. BE THERE BY 8:30.

Q: I was out really late last night with my friends and I live far away and --
A: I DON'T CARE. BE THERE BY 8:30.

Q: Oh no, I woke up this morning with a fever/I crashed my car/one of my teammates spontaneously combusted/the TTC personally victimized me/I had another emergency and will be late or unable to make it!
A: Emergencies happen and I will not yell at you for being late or cancelling if (and only if) an emergency happens. Should something like this arise, please contact me or Paul as soon as you can and we will try to help if possible.

Q: What will be the format of the tournament?
A: We will be playing an 11-round round robin followed by an advantaged final if necessary.

Q: What time is the tournament expected to end?
A: I would estimate the tournament to end by around 6:00, but that is an estimate so please don't go make plans at 6:01 PM.

Q: When will lunch be?
A: Lunch will be after round 6 and will last approximately an hour.

Q: What should I bring to the tournament?
A: Please bring your fee ($10 if you are a U of T student), and either a packed lunch or some lunch money.

Q: Can I pay you with these quarters/dimes/other coins whose denominations are smaller than $1?
A: No, that's a pain for me to process, and I might pretend to accept them and then throw them at you when you aren't looking.

Q: Can I pay you in a currency other than CAD?
A: I am pleased to announce that I will now accept CAD, USD, and EUR as payment, in accordance with current exchange rates (bills only, please).

Q: Can I etransfer you?
A: Yes. PM me.

Q: I have a question that was not addressed here.
A: Please post it here so that everyone else can have it answered too (unless it is of a personal nature in which case feel free to PM/email)
--------------------
I will see you all on Saturday for what promises to be a fun and efficiently run tournament!
Meghan Torchia
Calculus?
Wakka

Post by Calculus? »

Info about Sunday: We will be running Eyes That Do Not See in the morning, followed by lunch, followed by BUMPY in the afternoon. We will start at 10:30 and both tournaments are free of charge. Please try to be there on time in the morning and to come back from lunch on time if you're staying for the afternoon as a lot of people will need to make their way home and I'm aiming to finish everything before 4 PM. Both tournaments will be run in GB 120, so please meet there.
Meghan Torchia
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

After a 11 round round robin, Toronto B was 9-1 and McGill A&B and Carleton were all 8-2. Due to the interest of time, we didn't break the 3 way tie for 2nd with packets and so McGill A, who had the highest PPG of the three, faced off against Toronto B in a two game final. Toronto B won the first game of their advantaged final 230-220. Stats are here.

On a high level, the advanced scoresheets were fairly intuitive to use, so I felt it was best to just have people use it to the best of their ability in round 1 and troubleshoot on the fly only given a brief explanation of buzzpoints. I think only Rein and Rico have used even basic online scoresheets before and this system worked pretty well.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020