WAO at Caltech (2/25/17)

Old college threads.
GallinaOso
Kimahri

WAO at Caltech (2/25/17)

Post by GallinaOso »

This is the official announcement for the SoCal mirror of WAO, which will be taking place at Caltech in Pasadena, California, on Saturday, February 25, 2017. More information about WAO can be viewed at the original announcement for the tournament.

Location/Directions/Parking:

The tournament will take place in Downs-Lauritsen at Caltech. A campus map is accessible here (Downs-Lauritsen is #47/48 on the map). You can find free parking for the day at Parking Structure 3 (#126 on the map, underneath the South Athletic Field).

Eligibility:

This is an open tournament.

To register, please email me your registration information at [email protected], with information about the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers, as well as any other discounts. Please include a cell phone number to contact on the morning of the tournament if need be.

The field is capped at 12 teams.

Fees:

All teams:
Base Fee: $140
Discount for submission on or before December 18th: -$70
Discount for submission on or before January 1st: -$50

General discounts:
Buzzer discount: -$5
Staffer discount: -$10
Distance discount: -$10 for every 150 miles, one-way, from Caltech (averaged for open teams)

Field (Teams/Buzzers/Staffers):

UCLA: 2/2/0
UCSD: 1/0/0
Caltech: 1/1/2
Open Team To Be Named: 1/0/0

Total: 5/3/2
Last edited by GallinaOso on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Henry Baer
Acalanes High School '14
Caltech '18
Jason Cheng
Rikku

Re: WAO at Caltech (2/25/17)

Post by Jason Cheng »

As clarification, there may be chimera teams in attendance and I've gotten wind of open teams (some high school players) planning to play at this site. Obviously, at this point, it's too late to submit a packet, and it wouldn't do to turn them away at what may already a pretty small field since half of what would be UCSD A for this tournament (Jonathan and myself) won't be playing, for equally obvious reasons. I've heard from members of the circuit that it seems odd that open teams might end up getting to pay less than school teams in this situation--I'll be consulting with Will and the rest of our editing team on what to do in this case and we'll see if we can come up with a corresponding solution here for all parties involved (hosts, teams, etc).
Jason Cheng
Arcadia High School 2013
UCSD 2017
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Is this happening? I happen to be in the LA area this weekend and might show up if there's a field.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

I also might show up to help with staff or just drink heavily and play quizbowl.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
GallinaOso
Kimahri

Post by GallinaOso »

Gautam wrote:Is this happening?

Yeah!
Henry Baer
Acalanes High School '14
Caltech '18