MVGS Open I @ Lord Fairfax CC (Warrenton, Va, 3/4/17)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Skr121
Lulu

MVGS Open I @ Lord Fairfax CC (Warrenton, Va, 3/4/17)

Post by Skr121 »

Happy to announce the first annual Mountain Vista Governor's School Open in Warrenton, Virginia will take place March 4, 2017.

Affiliation: NAQT
Question Set: We will be using the NAQT Invitational Series # 165A.
Format: Our field cap is currently 24 teams, but we can expand as we find more moderators. Everyone is guaranteed at least 10 rounds of competition. A trophy will be given to first place.
Time: 9AM until roughly 4pm, with a lunch break.
Additionally, the top 10% of the field will qualify for the PACE National Scholastic Championship June 10-11 in Chicago.

Registration and Fees:
Base Fee: $60 per team, and students need not be from one school to play. Since we are a governor's school, there are students who are affiliated with the governor's school and base schools. No player may be on more than 1 team's roster. All players must be between kindergarten and 12th grade in order to be eligible to play.
Buzzer Discount: $10 per fully functioning (8 working buzzers) system you bring
Moderators: $10 per competent moderator
Distance Discount: $10 Teams traveling greater than 150 miles one way
Minimum Fee: $40

TEAM & ROSTER SIZE: There may be a maximum of six players on one team's roster, up to four of whom may play at one time. There will be no exceptions to this rule. If you bring more than six players, you must register a second team to have all of them play. There is a halftime substitution opportunity in each game. Each player may appear on only one team's roster throughout the day-no switching from the B team to the A team, etc. Teams may also play shorthanded with only two players.

If you have any questions or wish to register, please feel free to contact Bperez (at) mvgshome (dot) org. Please specify number of teams/working buzzers/ moderators, and a cell phone number for a coach/sponsor for the day of the tournament.

Final Field
School Teams/Buzzers/Moderators
Robinson Secondary 1/1/1
Kettle Run HS 2/1/3
Fort Defiance 2/1/0
Gar-Field HS 2/1/0
Rappahannock HS 2/2/0
North Hagerstown HS 2/0/0
Longfellow MS 2/2/0
Rockridge HS 2/1/0
BASIS Independent McLean 2/0/0
Central VA Gov 4/0/0
Shenandoah Valley Governor's School 1/0/0
Montgomery Blair HS 2/1/0
24 Teams!!
Last edited by Skr121 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
-Benny Perez
Mountain Vista Governor's School
"We can't have full knowledge all at once. We must start by believing; then afterwards, we may be led on to master the evidence for ourselves." -St. Thomas Aquinas
J. Young
Wakka

Re: MVGS Open I @ Lord Fairfax Community College (Warrenton,

Post by J. Young »

Is a field update available?
Justin Young
Longfellow MS '16
McLean HS '20; Captain
Achievement: Walked route of Pickett's Charge
Robbie Ram
Wakka

Post by Robbie Ram »

Can I suggest you put the tournament date in your posting and in the announcement header? It's hard to get teams to commit to a tournament if they don't know *when* it is! :-)
Michael P. Campana
Coach/sponsor, Quiz Bowl Club
Mark Twain Middle School
Alexandria, VA
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Robbie Ram wrote:Can I suggest you put the tournament date in your posting and in the announcement header? It's hard to get teams to commit to a tournament if they don't know *when* it is! :-)
Done.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred