ATROPHY at NIU (4/15/17)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Potatoes
Lulu

ATROPHY at NIU (4/15/17)

Post by Potatoes »

Hello,

NIU is excited to announce the 2017 edition of ATROPHY. I will serve as Tournament Director. We're excited to be using Yale's BHSAT set, and thank them for letting us use it again. More information on BHSAT can be found here.

ATROPHY has traditionally served as a preparatory tournament for nationals-caliber teams, but with that said, all teams are welcome.

ATROPHY will be held on NIU's main campus in Dekalb, IL, building TBD. I will update the post here and include in the logistics email once NIU lets us know which building we can use.

Fee Structure
Entry Fee per team: $80
Working buzzer set: -$5 (requires at least 4 working lights on each side. max of 2 per school)
Experienced moderator (moderators are expected to bring laptops as we are using Neg5): -$25
Minimum fee: $20/team

Registration
To register, e-mail me at [email protected]. Please include your school name, number of teams, number of buzzers, and number of moderators

If you have any questions, please e-mail me. I hope to see you in DeKalb in April!
Last edited by Potatoes on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Alec Krueger
NIU '16
NIU '18
Potatoes
Lulu

Re: ATROPHY at NIU (4/15/17)

Post by Potatoes »

(Field 15/16)

Champaign Centennial (1 team, 2 buzzers, and 1 staffer)
Auburn (1 team, 2 buzzers, no staff)
Waubonsie Valley (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Naperville North (2 teams, 1 buzzer, no staff)
Waukee (Iowa) (1 team, 3 buzzers, 1 staffer)
Barrington (1 team, 1 buzzer, possibly 1 staffer)
Homewood-Flossmoor (2 teams, 2 buzzers, no staff)
Keith (1 team, 1 buzzer, no staff)
Byron (1 team, 1 buzzer, no staff)
Belvidere (1 team, 1 buzzer, no staff)
Sandburg (1 team, 1 buzzer, no staff)
University School of Milwaukee (WI) (1 team, 1 buzzer, no staff)
OPRF (1 team, no buzzers, no staff)
Last edited by Potatoes on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Alec Krueger
NIU '16
NIU '18
Potatoes
Lulu

Post by Potatoes »

The field has been updated. We currently have 5 teams signed up, with 13 spots remaining.
Alec Krueger
NIU '16
NIU '18
Potatoes
Lulu

Post by Potatoes »

We're at about half capacity, with 7-8 A teams signed up, and 1 team on the B-team waitlist.
Alec Krueger
NIU '16
NIU '18
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

I'm pleased to announce that ATROPHY's going to be part of a fantastic day of quizbowl; in addition to the recently announced Team Illinois tryout event, we'll be hosting a mirror of ACRONYM, a great pop culture tournament. I had the privilege to play this set in Michigan last month; it's a great set of questions and I look forward to presenting it at NIU.

The ACRONYM mirror will be open to all; high school students, coaches, parents, etc. are eligible to play, and on mixed teams! The tournament format will get figured out once we have an idea of how many people are in; it might be tossups-only or tossups-and-bonuses, we might have teams of 1, 2, or 4, and we might (probably) use a format that requires a pizza order to play through dinner. All these questions and more will be decided soon!

I'll be TDing the ACRONYM mirror, so if you're interested in playing ACRONYM, please e-mail me at [email protected].
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
AGoodMan
Rikku

Post by AGoodMan »

Why didn't this happen last year???
Jon Suh
Wheaton Warrenville South High School '16
Harvard '20
Potatoes
Lulu

Post by Potatoes »

We are up to 10-11 teams in the field, with 1 team on the waitlist.
Alec Krueger
NIU '16
NIU '18
Potatoes
Lulu

Post by Potatoes »

The team from the B-team waitlist has been let into the field. We are up to 13 teams.
Alec Krueger
NIU '16
NIU '18
Potatoes
Lulu

Post by Potatoes »

Barring a last minute registration, it looks like we're locked into 15 teams for Saturday.
Alec Krueger
NIU '16
NIU '18
Potatoes
Lulu

Post by Potatoes »

Prelim Stats will be updated live here
Alec Krueger
NIU '16
NIU '18
MichelleYangBHS
Lulu

Post by MichelleYangBHS »

Hello, I am Michelle Yang, a player of the Hybrid Team in the Atrophy Tournament. I have noticed my name has been recorded into the individual ranking as "Michelle Yany", which is a spelling error of my real name. May I have my name Corrected as "Michelle Yang"?
Michelle Yang, 15, Barrington High School
MichelleYangBHS
Lulu

Post by MichelleYangBHS »

MichelleYangBHS wrote:Hello, I am Michelle Yang, a player of the Hybrid Team in the Atrophy Tournament. I have noticed my name has been recorded into the individual ranking as "Michelle Yany", which is a spelling error of my real name. May I have my name Corrected as "Michelle Yang"?
My signature that I wrote on the hybrid sign up sheet was Michelle Yang. Someone must have misread the g as a y.
Michelle Yang, 15, Barrington High School
Potatoes
Lulu

Post by Potatoes »

Congratulations to Naperville North A, who won ATROPHY 2017 in a close advantaged final over Barrington. Final stats are available here.

Also huge thanks as always to our wonderful moderating crew: Brad Fischer, Jim Fischer, Mike Laudermith, Victoria Likeum, Andrew Nadig, Elissa Pape, Anna Phillips, Benjamin Phillips, Benjamin Schneider, Mike Sorice, Kraken Anne Strey, Mike Withey, Andy Wright.
Alec Krueger
NIU '16
NIU '18