TEXAS - LONE STAR REPUBLIC 2016-2017

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Remember-the-Alamo-Remember-Goliad
Wakka

TEXAS - LONE STAR REPUBLIC 2016-2017

Post by Remember-the-Alamo-Remember-Goliad »

The new season has started off well for Cistercian with the late September tournament @ Greenhill School.
Qualifying 3 teams for NAQT high school nationals was great, but we have a LOT more work to do! :grin:
Gregory Schweers
County of Dallas
City of Irving
Cistercian Preparatory School Team
The only Monk on this whole board
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Re: TEXAS - LONE STAR REPUBLIC 2016-2017

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Selwyn College Prep will be hosting two NHBB events this year -- the North Texas Fall event this Saturday, as well as the North Texas Championships on February 4th.

UT Austin will be hosting the Texas State Championships on February 18th; this post originally said "maybe in March," so never mind that. :)

We're also hopeful to get a tournament hosted in Houston, so if you're interested in hosting and entering up to six teams for free, please let me know.
Thanks!
Last edited by Irreligion in Bangladesh on Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Wakka

thanks for the update!
Gregory Schweers
County of Dallas
City of Irving
Wakka

We had a great time down in Katy, TX on Dec. 3rd with the Ho Ho Ho NAQT Tournament.
I think we finished 10th overall, which is OK, esp. since we didn't have all our "A" players.
Went 4-2 in the morning rounds was fine, esp. since one of those losses was to Taylor-Katy,
#1 ranking in US, I think.

In any case, Texas QB looks strong, but I still don't know what some parts of the state are doing.
Gregory Schweers
County of Dallas
City of Irving
Hyrdofluoric_Acid
Lulu

Post by Hyrdofluoric_Acid »

Hey person from out of state here, I was thinking about going to Texas Invitational and I noticed that one of the sets being played is Delta Burke. In past this tournament has been run on college regular difficulty sets, right? I have also read Delta Burke from past years and although I do think it is an absolutely wonderful set is this really the difficulty that TQBA is going for here? With the caliber of teams this has attracted in the past this seems to miss the mark a bit.
John W. of University of Minnesota
browen
Lulu

Post by browen »

Hyrdofluoric_Acid wrote:Hey person from out of state here, I was thinking about going to Texas Invitational and I noticed that one of the sets being played is Delta Burke. In past this tournament has been run on college regular difficulty sets, right? I have also read Delta Burke from past years and although I do think it is an absolutely wonderful set is this really the difficulty that TQBA is going for here? With the caliber of teams this has attracted in the past this seems to miss the mark a bit.
John,

It would be easier to contact Chris Romero directly at [email protected] with this question. The Texas subforum is rarely used as their website (texasquizbowl.com) has pretty much anything a coach ever needs to know about their circuit.
Brian Owen
Dorman High School Assistant Coach (2014-present)
Dorman '13
5/31/2009: Never Forget
AGoodMan
Rikku

Post by AGoodMan »

browen wrote:The Texas subforum is rarely used as their website (texasquizbowl.com) has pretty much anything a coach ever needs to know about their circuit.
Seems like it's actually texasquizbowl.org
Jon Suh
Wheaton Warrenville South High School '16
Harvard '20
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

Hyrdofluoric_Acid wrote:Hey person from out of state here, I was thinking about going to Texas Invitational and I noticed that one of the sets being played is Delta Burke. In past this tournament has been run on college regular difficulty sets, right? I have also read Delta Burke from past years and although I do think it is an absolutely wonderful set is this really the difficulty that TQBA is going for here? With the caliber of teams this has attracted in the past this seems to miss the mark a bit.
I plan to attend TI solo as well, and I share John's sentiments. What would be some other potential options for a set?
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
browen
Lulu

Post by browen »

randomguy1997 wrote:
browen wrote:The Texas subforum is rarely used as their website (texasquizbowl.com) has pretty much anything a coach ever needs to know about their circuit.
Seems like it's actually texasquizbowl.org
Good catch.
Brian Owen
Dorman High School Assistant Coach (2014-present)
Dorman '13
5/31/2009: Never Forget
ashwin99
Lulu

Post by ashwin99 »

JakobeanEra wrote:
I plan to attend TI solo as well, and I share John's sentiments. What would be some other potential options for a set?
Maybe the Eisenhower Memorial Tournament?
Ashwin Ramaswami
Communications Director, ACF (2018-2019)
Stanford University (2017-2021), Chattahoochee High School (2013-2017)

Try this free mobile app Tycho: Play Quizbowl and Science Bowl to study or read packets while on the go.
etchdulac
Rikku

Post by etchdulac »

Delta Burke seemed like the best option when we announced the event. MUT looked dead, and MYSTERIUM which we used last year was probably too difficult. if there is a more appropriate set that might be available that was not on the radar a month ago, we would be willing to consider it.

If you would like your input noted on this topic, please email Dr. Romero and I at tqbamail (at) gmail (dot) com.
Stephen Fontenot
Texas Quiz Bowl Alliance Deputy Director
Communications, UT Dallas
Strake Jesuit '96 -+-+- Southwestern '00
Wakka

Perhaps the reason why there has been so little posting here,
is that it's being done elsewhere. However, whatever outcome
emerges from the mess created in Dallas several weeks ago, I think
the REAL TOPIC should be to continue having more tournaments in the
North Texas area.

We have nationally-ranked teams here with lots of other up and comer teams as well;
let's NOT have one disrupted tournament tear the place apart, OK?
Cistercian supports North Texas QB!
Gregory Schweers
County of Dallas
City of Irving
Wakka

Cistercian's teams at NAQT nationals in Atlanta had SUCH a good time.
With our "A" team going 7-3 in prelims, we were so happy.
Championship rounds were a bit disappointing, but we have ALL of our
major players returning, so, 2017-2018 should be a good one for us!
Gregory Schweers
County of Dallas
City of Irving