A Literature Skype League / Tournament (2016-2017)

Old college threads.
kdroge
Wakka

A Literature Skype League / Tournament (2016-2017)

Post by kdroge »

This is the announcement for a Skype-based literature league / tournament that I'd like to write and run over the course of several sessions during the 2016-2017 season.

How it Works: The meetings for this tournament will occur once a month on Sundays at 9PM eastern, and two rounds will be played at each meeting- budgeting 45 minutes per round, these will reasonably finish by 10:30 EST. The first three sessions will be on October 9, November 13, and December 4, with the goal of meeting on the second Sunday of the month but making allowances for finals / holidays / major tournaments such as ICT. I think this could be a fun way to supplement the normal schedule of quiz bowl tournaments and activities, while not presenting an overwhelming obligation at any one time.

Teams / Eligibility: This is a completely open event, and all are welcome to play. I'm shooting for teams of four; the content should be hard and diverse enough to reward teams of multiple people, and it gives a bit of resiliency so if someone has to miss a session they and their team can still be competitive in that and future sessions. Teams are of course welcome to play as their school team if they so wish.

Format / Difficulty: The format will be standard tossups followed by two-part related bonuses (I got a bit hooked on writing these after Listory, sorry!). The difficulty will be about that of most of the open side events that have occurred over the past year or two- my goal is, for each packet of 20 tossups, to have 10 tossup answer lines at approximately regular difficulty and no more than two or three that are very tough. For reference, tossup difficulty is shaping up to be on par with Christmas Present or Artsee, a bit harder than the lit from Listory, but a bit easier than from Rilke. The bonuses will have an easier and a harder part corresponding roughly to a medium and hard part from a regular plus tournament. Expect bonus parts to be a few ticks harder than the literature bonus parts from Listory, with far fewer super-easy easier parts.

Distribution:
5 American Literature (1 novels, 1 poetry, 1 drama, 1 short/criticism/essays/non-fiction, 1 mostly novels some more poetry or mixed)
5 British Literature (1 novels, 1 poetry, 1 drama, 1 short/criticism/essays/non-fiction, 1 mostly novels some more poetry or mixed)
4 European Literature (1 novels, 1 poetry, 1 drama, 1 other)
3 World Literature (varied reasonably across geographies and genres)
3 Other Literature (mixed, trash, popular genres, general literary interest, some more of the preceding areas with a nod towards additional Euro and World)

Tournament Logistics: I plan on writing however many packets will make sense to run the tournament depending on how many people are interested in playing. For example, if ten teams sign up, I'll write nine packets plus two finals packets plus a play-in packet if necessary. I'm open to having playoffs or divisions as appropriate given the field size and strength. The cost will end up being around ten or fifteen dollars per player, depending on the number of rounds.

Here's a link to a sign up sheet, for both players and moderators: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

While I'm really hoping to try this out as a monthly tournament over Skype, if there isn't enough interest or if this is too ambitious or silly to happen, I may relegate this to being a side event for the Summer of 2017. If it's any enticement, the first two rounds are already completely written, so the questions will be definitely be ready for the first session on October 9!
Kurtis Droge
East Lansing 08, Michigan 12, Louisville 17
Cheynem
Sin

Re: A Literature Skype League / Tournament (2016-2017)

Post by Cheynem »

Is there a cost?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Banana Stand
Wakka

Post by Banana Stand »

I'm interested in playing this.
Jack Mehr
St. Joe's NJ '14
UVA '19
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

I'll play this with Huma Zafar and maybe others! And am excited!
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

I'd like to play this.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

To clarify about the cost: It will be either $10/player (if there end up being closer to 10 packets in total) or $15/player (if there end up being closer to 15 packets in total).
Kurtis Droge
mozzarella
Lulu

Post by mozzarella »

I can be a solid maybe.
K Kohn
Cheltenham High School 2015
American University 2018

Ask me about my trash packets.
csheep
Wakka

Post by csheep »

I'll play this.

I read a lot but I'm kinda mediocre at QB. I should be able to contribute randomly on a bunch of categories. I'm bad with American lit.
Michael Z
NYU '13
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

I wanted to bump this thread since there's a little less than a week to go before the first planned session this Sunday. It looks like right now there are people interested to have around eight teams (and additional people might sign up in the next few days), which is enough that this will definitely be happening as a Skype tournament in the format laid out in the original post. Here are some logistics announcements:

This Sunday, I'll be in #skypelit at nine, and I'm looking to start games shortly thereafter- since it's already planning on running until past ten eastern time, it would be nice to start games as close to nine as is possible. Rounds 1 and 2 will be read.

Moderators: Please fill out the columns in the sign up spreadsheet to indicate final availability on October 9th, email, and Skype name. Right now there are four moderators potentially signed up, but it would be nice to get more readers in case someone has to drop or the field expands.

Players: Please add the moderators on Skype if possible sometime this week so that doesn't have to happen frantically at the last minute. If you're listed as a free agent, try to coordinate teams this week as well. Registration will remain open until Sunday morning, at which point I'll organize ad-hoc teams from any remaining free agents and draw up a schedule. There's still plenty of time to sign up if you're considering playing!
Kurtis Droge
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

I've posted a schedule for this on the second tab of the original sign-up sheet; there will be a ten team round robin and then ACF-style finals as necessary.

Edit: Ophir has volunteered to be the fifth moderator for tonight. Thanks!

Also, there are still a couple of free agent spots open on teams of three if anyone wants to jump in at the last minute.
Kurtis Droge
csheep
Wakka

Post by csheep »

Laurence/Moses - PM me for skype names/coordinating? I'll be around all night until the tourney.
Michael Z
NYU '13
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

Thanks to everyone who came out to play this last night, and to everyone who helped read. It took a little while to set things up, but for the most part things wrapped up around 11 eastern, which isn't too bad.

Here's a link to a spreadsheet for stats through round 2: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Overall, I was pretty happy with how the games turned out, and hopefully everyone enjoyed the set so far. Tossup difficulty was about right (17, 17, 17, 17, 17, 17, 18, 19, 19, 20 tossups converted over 10 games), but bonuses were a bit rough, with conversion at around 8-9 ppb overall. I might shade slightly easier in bonus part selection for future rounds. Since the rest of the questions aren't set in stone, I'm open to messages about feedback or comments for the future rounds; also, I'd be happy to email the first two packets out to people who are signed up for the tournament.

The next session will be November 13th, 9pm eastern, planning on reading rounds 3 and 4. I'm debating changing the 12/4 session to 12/11 because Terrapin at OSU is scheduled for the fourth right now, so that isn't quite set in stone yet.

Finally, if you are playing this tournament, the cost is $10/player, so please Venmo me that when you get the chance or let me know some other form of payment that works for you.
Kurtis Droge
csheep
Wakka

Post by csheep »

I plead with you to refrain from working in a question on Bob Dylan into this tournament.
Michael Z
NYU '13
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

I wanted to remind everyone participating in this event that the second session is coming up this Sunday, the 13th, at 9 PM eastern time. The packets are basically ready to go (I have some edits to do and one more tossup to write). Like last time, I'll be in #skypelit starting then and we'll try to get games going as soon as possible.

Players: If you have updated rosters for who is actually on your team, please edit the spreadsheet to reflect those changes and so moderators know who to actually add for games.

Moderators: Please update the spreadsheet to reflect your availability for this Sunday (it looks like there are currently two yes, one no, and a few still undecided right now). It would be nice to know if I need to try and recruit an additional moderator sooner rather than later. Thanks!
Kurtis Droge
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Post by Zealots of Stockholm »

Auburn is playing Terrapin on Sunday, so I doubt I'll be home in time for this. One of my Team 10 teammates can feel free to find a replacement for me.
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Vanderbilt University '22
Auburn University '20
Good Hope High School (Cullman, AL) '16
Full Member, ACF; Member, PACE
Writer/editor, ACF, PACE, IQBT
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

I don't currently have a reliable internet access, so I won't be able to make it tonight. Please feel free to find a replacement player.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Will Mason won't make it either, so we have an opening for today.
Charles Hang

Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

lmk when you'd be available or not thx!

It seems as if interest to sustain is anemic, so perhaps his project will be one of a future age.

I will read off remaining packets tuesday 15th 8PM.
Kurtis Droge
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

Everyone's waiting in the IRC.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
csheep
Wakka

Post by csheep »

A bunch of people are on IRC and I think there's still quite a bit of interest. Team 9 is all here for example though most of the team missed the first night.
Michael Z
NYU '13
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

We're currently in the first round of this.
Charles Hang

Rikku

I'm not sure what caused the late start yesterday, but I did want to say that this tournament is super fun! I love the questions, love the associated bonuses, love the format...everything is great :)
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

I want to apologize to everyone involved with this tournament about the logistics/moderating problems this past weekend; my behavior was flat out inexcusable, I'm sorry, and I hope you all can bear with me. I care pretty deeply about quiz bowl, literature, and this tournament, and my actions were contrary to all of those.

That being said, I do plan on continuing this tournament with the next two packets on December 11th, at 9PM eastern, and I should have stats and conversion data up for those who are interested sometime soon.

Also, I've emailed packets to those who requested them, but if I've somehow left you out, please send me another message and I'd be happy to send them out.
Kurtis Droge
csheep
Wakka

Post by csheep »

kdroge wrote:I want to apologize to everyone involved with this tournament about the logistics/moderating problems this past weekend; my behavior was flat out inexcusable, I'm sorry, and I hope you all can bear with me. I care pretty deeply about quiz bowl, literature, and this tournament, and my actions were contrary to all of those.

That being said, I do plan on continuing this tournament with the next two packets on December 11th, at 9PM eastern, and I should have stats and conversion data up for those who are interested sometime soon.

Also, I've emailed packets to those who requested them, but if I've somehow left you out, please send me another message and I'd be happy to send them out.
Thanks for packets; I'm personally enjoying the questions/answerlines for the tournament so far. Logistical issues were a bit weird on week 2 but week 1 went pretty smoothly so there's that. Any idea what "soon" is for when stats/conversion data will be up?
Michael Z
NYU '13
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

So is tonight's match still on?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Rikku

Mike Bentley wrote:So is tonight's match still on?
Kurtis's last post seems to indicate that Round 3 is next Sunday.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

The grandmother is {wise, dead}. wrote:
Mike Bentley wrote:So is tonight's match still on?
Kurtis's last post seems to indicate that Round 3 is next Sunday.
Oh I missed that.
Mike Bentley
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

Yes the next two rounds are happening next Sunday the 11th.
Kurtis Droge
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

The next session will be happening tomorrow, the 11th. It would be great if moderators could indicate availability on the spreadsheet soon. Thanks!
Kurtis Droge
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

As a reminder, packets 5 and 6 will be read tonight at 9pm est. Moderators are set, so I'll see everyone playing at #skypelit then.
Kurtis Droge
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

Hope everyone has been enjoying the set and this tournament so far! I've been a bit behind on the stats, but here's an updated link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1808803049

I am missing the stats from one of the rooms for rounds 3 and 4, so if anyone has those scoresheets (or even match results), please let me know.

The dates I am looking at for the final two sessions of this tournament are Sundays January 29th (rounds 7 and 8) and March 5th (round 9, plus playoffs). Since my productivity over the holidays may be a bit reduced, it'll be nice to have a bit more time before now and the last sessions.

Also, I'm going to do a slightly different playoff format for this tournament because the rosters have been variable; the top four teams will qualify for a single elimination playoff, which will be played out over two rounds. Teams not qualifying for the playoff will be welcome to scrimmage the packets. Note that this does mean that three rounds, rather than two, will be ready and played on March 5th.
Kurtis Droge
El Salvadoreno
Rikku

Post by El Salvadoreno »

kdroge wrote: Teams not qualifying for the playoff will be welcome to scrimmage the packets.
I joined the forums to late to make it into the league but would it be possible for someone who has not been in the league to join in on the scrimmage rounds?
And if so, at what cost?
Ricky "Slick Rick/Rico Suave" Rivera
Carmel Catholic- Class of '17
Notre Dame (Mendoza)- Class of '22

My Namesake
csheep
Wakka

Post by csheep »

Just wanted to confirm - is the next round still scheduled for this Sunday (Jan 29)?
Michael Z
NYU '13
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

Yes, the next two rounds of this will be this Sunday at 9pm eastern time. I've discussed with Jakob so that JAKOB should start at 7 and finish by 9, allowing those involved the two events to play them both fairly consecutively. If moderators could update the spreadsheet or email me with availability, that'd be great.
Kurtis Droge
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

This is hypothetically starting in 5 minutes. You should join #skypelit.
Mike Bentley
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

It's been a while since we've had the last session of this; the last three packets aren't quite ready for this Sunday so I'm pushing back the final three rounds to next weekend, Sunday March 12th, starting at 8pm est. We'll play round 9 for all teams and then the two playoff rounds for seeds 1-4. People are welcome to watch the playoff rounds or scrimmage on the packets as they wish. I've had a couple requests from people not playing in the tournament to scrimmage on those rounds, which I have no problem with. I'd expect playoff rounds to start around 9pm est since the bracketing shouldn't take more than a couple minutes for those only interested in the scrimmages or the playoffs. I apologize for the slight delay!

I also have stats compiled for round 8 (same link as before): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1808803049
Kurtis Droge
Mnemosyne
Wakka

Post by Mnemosyne »

Will ties for the playoff spots be broken by PPG?
Nick Collins
C. E. Byrd '12 (Shreveport, LA)
Louisiana Tech '16, '17
University of Virginia
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

Ties will be broken by PPG since everyone played the same RR schedule.

Also, if you have not paid me yet for this and haven't messaged me about an arrangement, please try to Venmo / Paypal me sometime soon ($10/player if you've played a decent number of rounds; if you played like one round or just want to do the upcoming scrimmages, don't worry about it).
Kurtis Droge
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

EDIT: Thanks to Libo Zeng, there are now enough moderators for tonight's session. I'll see everyone playing in #skypelit at 8!
Kurtis Droge
csheep
Wakka

Post by csheep »

This was a fun tournament, thanks a lot Kurtis for writing and all the readers.

Distribution felt super heavy on contemporary lit but IDK if that's just a perception issue on my part? Was there an intended chronological sub-distribution in place within the genre/geography distributions outlined in the first post?
Michael Z
NYU '13
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

csheep wrote:Distribution felt super heavy on contemporary lit but IDK if that's just a perception issue on my part? Was there an intended chronological sub-distribution in place within the genre/geography distributions outlined in the first post?
I personally enjoyed this part of the distribution, especially for a somewhat experimental tournament like this one.
Mike Bentley
csheep
Wakka

Post by csheep »

Oh it's not a bad thing, don't get me wrong. Just unexpected.
Michael Z
NYU '13
kitakule
Wakka

Post by kitakule »

Any word on when stats for the whole tournament will be posted?
Moses Kitakule
ESA '15
Yale '19
Columbia '28 (???)
csheep
Wakka

Post by csheep »

kitakule wrote:Any word on when stats for the whole tournament will be posted?
Did this ever happen, and was the whole set ever posted? I have packets 1 - 4 via email from Kurtis but I can't seem to locate the rest; not sure if this is because I have it somewhere and forgot about it.
Michael Z
NYU '13