Missouri Open at Brown 11/14/15

Old college threads.
Doga (Dog Yoga)
Lulu

Missouri Open at Brown 11/14/15

Post by Doga (Dog Yoga) »

This is the announcement for Brown's mirror of Missouri Open, to be held on November 14th, 2015. The original tournament information can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17474

Because this is an open tournament, we would love to see any graduates or ambitious high schoolers in the area sign up.

The tournament is being held in J Walter Wilson. NOTE: this is NOT(!!!) Wilson Hall, where brown has held PADAWAN and SUBMIT in past years. J Walter Wilson is located at the corner of Waterman and Brown St. A campus map can be found here: http://brown.edu/Facilities/Facilities_Management/maps/

We expect the tournament to begin at 9 AM, hoping to have arrivals by 8:30 AM. Registration will take place in the lobby. The tournament should go until about 6 PM. Brown is not providing food, but J Walter Wilson is only a block away from Thayer Street, which has many options for food.

Fees:

Base fee: $120 per open team or $100 for teams of players playing from the same school

Buzzer discount: -$5 per working buzzer, no limit on the amount of buzzers
Staffer discount: -$10 per competent moderator, who reads for the entire day; there is no laptop discount, it is assumed that staffers will bring their own laptop
Travel discount: -$10 per 200 miles one-way according to Google Maps.

The minimum fee is $40. Please pay by cash or check to "Brown University Quiz Bowl." Payment is due at check-in, before the tournament begins.

Up to six players may play on a team; any more than that, and you will have to register an additional team. Four players will play at a time, with substitutions at halftime. Players must play on the same team all day (no switching from A team to B team).

We are currently capping the field at 16 teams; above this, you will be placed on a wait list. If we have enough staffers, rooms, and interest, the field cap may rise. Please register by emailing [email protected] with a subject line of "Missouri Open Registration for [Your team here]" and the following information: number of teams, number of buzzers, number of staffers, a contact e-mail address, and an emergency cell phone number in case of necessary contact the day of the tournament.

Hope to see you all in Providence.
Last edited by Doga (Dog Yoga) on Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Rohith Nagari
Brown '17
Doga (Dog Yoga)
Lulu

Re: Missouri Open at Brown 11/14/15

Field (Teams/Buzzers/Staff):

Dartmouth (1/1/1)
Amherst (1/0/0)
MIT (3/1/1)
Rutgers (1/0/0)
UPenn (3/2/0)
Columbia (2/3/0)
Yale (3/2/0)
Rochester (1/2/0)
NYU (1/0/1)

Total (16/11/2)

Current waitlist:
Last edited by Doga (Dog Yoga) on Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:44 am, edited 25 times in total.
Rohith Nagari
Brown '17
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

I'll express interest. I have one potential teammate (not from CCSU) and would be interested in picking up more as an open team. However, I'm not sure I can get two weekends in a row off from work.
Rachel
UChicago 09
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

I'd be interested in playing as part of an open team, please PM me if you want to team up.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
Doga (Dog Yoga)
Lulu

With the registration of Yale, the field is now closed. If there is sufficient interest, there is a slight chance that we can expand the field a bit, but we can't promise anything.
Rohith Nagari
Brown '17
Doga (Dog Yoga)
Lulu

We've been able to expand to 18 teams but it's unlikely that we'll be able to open up the field any more. All further registrations will be placed on the waitlist.
Rohith Nagari
Brown '17
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

We might have spots on one of our teams for open players if we don't end up dropping to one team.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

For the off chance that some room opens up, can you please add Vermont to the wait list? Thanks.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

I'd encourage people who are looking for teams to play on to contact people who are already registered to see if they have extra room on their teams and if they're willing to let them join. Open teams only have a $20 higher entry fee, which I would imagine would be a reasonable price to pay in order to join an already-existing single-school team.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:I'd encourage people who are looking for teams to play on to contact people who are already registered to see if they have extra room on their teams and if they're willing to let them join. Open teams only have a $20 higher entry fee, which I would imagine would be a reasonable price to pay in order to join an already-existing single-school team.
Oh, yeah that makes much more sense for me. Looking for a team to join if anyone has some room.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Doga (Dog Yoga)
Lulu

We can expand the field to 20 teams, so there are currently 2 spots left.
Rohith Nagari
Brown '17
Santa Claus
Rikku

Post by Santa Claus »

If any free agents are interested in joining the Amherst team, we have 1 (maybe 2?) spots open on our A team. Since the current team pretty much only covers science and history, anyone specializing in other subjects would be welcomed.
Kevin Wang
Arcadia High School 2015
Amherst College 2019

2018 PACE NSC Champion
2019 PACE NSC Champion
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

Santa Claus wrote:If any free agents are interested in joining the Amherst team, we have 1 (maybe 2?) spots open on our A team. Since the current team pretty much only covers science and history, anyone specializing in other subjects would be welcomed.
I'm much interested (and have sent you an email). Brandeis is still sending a team, but we're trying to expose as many new players as possible - this necessitates casting me overboard.
Doug
Brandeis '17
Santa Claus
Rikku

Post by Santa Claus »

Quiz and Bowls Programming Network wrote:Breaking news: Amherst College has drafted Doug Yetman for the 11/13/15 - 11/15/15 season as their wildcard pick. They will be paying him a league record $0/year, after taxes. In the words of Corry Wang, "he's pretty good".
Yeah so if anyone else was jumping for the opportunity to play on our team, all the spots are filled up bar unforeseen circumstances. Thanks to Doug for signing on.
Kevin Wang
Arcadia High School 2015
Amherst College 2019

2018 PACE NSC Champion
2019 PACE NSC Champion
Doga (Dog Yoga)
Lulu

With Columbia dropping their third team we're down to 18, so we're going to close the field barring any unforeseeable changes.

We're looking into running SHAWARMA at lunch. We'll be ordering pizza so people who want to play won't have to get lunch and come back. There'll be a slight fee if you want in on the pizza. Let us know if you're interested in playing and if you want pizza so we can get an estimate.
Rohith Nagari
Brown '17
Corry
Rikku

Post by Corry »

supervillin wrote:With Columbia dropping their third team we're down to 18, so we're going to close the field barring any unforeseeable changes.

We're looking into running SHAWARMA at lunch. We'll be ordering pizza so people who want to play won't have to get lunch and come back. There'll be a slight fee if you want in on the pizza. Let us know if you're interested in playing and if you want pizza so we can get an estimate.
Aw damn, I thought for a second that you guys would literally be serving shawarma for lunch on Saturday.
Corry Wang
Arcadia High School 2013
Amherst College 2017
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

Hey guys, thanks for coming out today, and thanks for all the readers and scorekeepers who helped make this tournament possible. It would not have been possible at all without you. Yale A beat Columbia A after an advantaged final. The open team of Amherst + Doug Yetman finished 3rd.

After the tournament, we found a blue notebook and a black laptop charger in room 503. If these are yours, please let me know.

Stats: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/3415/
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Yale has 12 negs in the final game which seems very wrong. Jacob Reed negged once in the second finals game, not 11 times.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:Yale has 12 negs in the final game which seems very wrong. Jacob Reed negged once in the second finals game, not 11 times.
Fixed! Let me know about any other stat corrections, anyone.
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

I don't think Columbia B got 15 10s in their first round; this is deflating their PPB. One of their players is listed as getting 10 tossups, and I suspect the correct number is 1.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Make sure your seatbelt is fastened
Lulu

Post by Make sure your seatbelt is fastened »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:I don't think Columbia B got 15 10s in their first round; this is deflating their PPB. One of their players is listed as getting 10 tossups, and I suspect the correct number is 1.
Similarly, I think it is unlikely they broke 30 PPB against MIT B.
Itamar Naveh-Benjamin
Mizzou '19
UVA '23
anderson
Lulu

Post by anderson »

There are also quite a few games in which teams got a 5 mod 10 number of bonus points.
Anderson Wang
Wissahickon HS '12
MIT '16