PADAWAN Global Announcement (10/4 and 10/11)

Old college threads.
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

PADAWAN Global Announcement (10/4 and 10/11)

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

I am happy to announce PADAWAN, a regular-difficulty tournament to open the Fall 2014 season. PADAWAN will be a 15-packet set of power-marked tossups, with a 7-line hard cap (before power-marking). It will available starting the weekend of October 4th, and we hope that all mirrors will run on either the 4th or 11th of that month.

The tossups for PADAWAN will be produced by a group of young writers working under the guidance of a team of mentors consisting of Matt Bollinger, Auroni Gupta, Seth Teitler, and myself. Will Alston will write the Geography and Current Events tossups. The bonuses are then going to be written by the mentors, with additional contributions from Will Alston, Mike Cheyne, Gautam Kandlikar, Matt Jackson, and Cody Voight.

The distribution per packet will be:

4/4 Literature
4/4 History
4/4 Science
3/3 Fine Arts
3/3 RMP
1/1 Social Science
1/1 Geography/Current Events/Trash

The base fee of this tournament will be $120 per team. The mirror fee will be $40 per non-house team. Discounts for buzzers, laptops, etc. are entirely site-specific and up to the TD's of the respective sites. For all sites, payment is due at check-in, before the tournament begins. I will be collecting fees from hosts, directly after the mirrors conclude. Because the team of writers is so huge, the payment process will be complicated, and I cannot afford to chase hosts for the money.

We are seeking mirrors in the following locations (I have left blank spaces where a host has not been secured yet; I will update these):

Northeast: Brown University
Mid-Atlantic: VCU
North:
Western Midwest: University of Chicago (10/11)
Eastern Midwest: Ohio State University
Southern Midwest: Truman State
South:
Texas: Texas A&M (10/25)
West Coast: UCSD
Canada: University of Toronto
United Kingdom: Oxford University (10/18)

If you are interested in being the mirror site for this tournament, please e-mail me. If you are not in one of these regions but would like to mirror the tournament nonetheless, and think that you could draw a reasonable number of teams, feel free to e-mail me as well.
Last edited by ThisIsMyUsername on Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:38 am, edited 8 times in total.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Re: PADAWAN Global Announcement (10/4 and 10/11)

Thus far, I have received one bid from a potential site in the Northeast and one from a potential site in the Mid-Atlantic. I'm going to leave bids open until Monday, August 11th. At that point, any bids I have received that are the only ones in their regions, will be awarded the site for their region. Then, I will also begin directly soliciting bids for any sites that do not already have mirror sites secured.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

ThisIsMyUsername wrote:Thus far, I have received one bid from a potential site in the Northeast and one from a potential site in the Mid-Atlantic. I'm going to leave bids open until Monday, August 11th. At that point, any bids I have received that are the only ones in their regions, will be awarded the site for their region. Then, I will also begin directly soliciting bids for any sites that do not already have mirror sites secured.
Will these newly determined hosts be announced soon?
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

I'm waiting for confirmation from my co-editors before I announce things. But assuming I get the all clear from them, we have a site for the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, UK, Canada, West Coast, and the South. Negotiations for Texas are under way. We're still seeking hosts for the North and the Lower Midwest (no one has bid for this yet). We're also discussing the possibility of adding another Midwest site further east.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Updates for the first round of mirror sites have been posted. I leave it to the hosts themselves to post announcements with the date of their mirror.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Just to clarify, since I've received a query about this: PADAWAN is not an open tournament.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

cessing
Lulu

Post by cessing »

Any word from UGA on their progress for hosting?
Chris Essinger
VP of Competition
Clemson Academic Team
derwahrejakob
Kimahri

Post by derwahrejakob »

We'd definitely bring teams if the UGA location worked out. Any more updates?
Laura Pratt
JCIB '13 Auburn '17
President, Auburn Quiz Bowl

"The boys are betting. The boys are wrong."
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

I asked the people at UGA and they aren't hosting. There might be a mirror in the southeast if somebody else hosts.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Well, it would have nice if I, as the person organizing mirrors, could have been told all this via e-mail rather than finding out from the forums! I'm now e-mailing the UGA contact I was given so that he can confirm if they are not hosting. Once he does, any school that would like to apply to be the replacement host for the Southeast mirror can e-mail me to do so. Thanks.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

UGA has confirmed that they can no longer host. People interested in hosting the regional mirror for the South should please PM or e-mail me. Thanks.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Cody Voight has benevolently agreed to packetize this set, so he will be the person e-mailing the set to those that are hosting mirrors this Saturday. So, if you are one of those schools, please e-mail me the address of one person on your team to whom to send the packets tomorrow night. Thanks.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

Attached is a nice scoresheet you can use for PADAWAN if you haven't already printed them.
Attachments
scoresheet-padawan.pdf
(31.87 KiB) Downloaded 477 times
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

For those of you who attended the mirrors that ran today, a private discussion forum has been created, which you may request to join via your user control panel.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

If you are running a mirror of PADAWAN on Saturday and you haven't given the e-mail address of the person to whom to send the packets tomorrow evening, please PM or e-mail me to let me know. Thanks.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Is this set now clear for discussion and/or posting?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

Matthew Jackson wrote:Is this set now clear for discussion and/or posting?
http://collegiate.quizbowlpackets.com/761/
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.