Vanderbilt ABC 43 [IS-134], 2/22/14

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin
Wakka

Vanderbilt ABC 43 [IS-134], 2/22/14

Post by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin »

This is the general announcement for the 2014 Vanderbilt University Academic Bowl Competition XLIII, a high school quizbowl tournament, to be hosted at Vanderbilt's Buttrick Hall, 2400 Vanderbilt Pl, Nashville, TN 37212, (and Stevenson 4309 auditorium) on Saturday, February 22nd, 2014. Registration will begin at 8:00 AM, the Coaches' Meeting at 8:30 AM, the first round at 9 AM, and the tournament will hopefully finish by 5 PM.

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/1964/

Location and directions:
The tournament will take place in Buttrick Hall, 2400 Vanderbilt Pl, Nashville, TN 37212, approachable easily from I-440's exit 1A onto West End heading north, or I-40's exit 209B on Broadway heading South towards the Medical Center, or just from Charlotte Ave. to West End heading towards the West side of campus near the roundabout near Kirkland Hall. Note: you can't actually park near Buttrick, but you can drive up close to it (for drop-off) via West Side Row (off 24th Ave S) which will put you behind Rand Dining hall with a 2 minute walk to Buttrick. Stevenson is right across from Buttrick, so no worries there.

Parking: Is quite limited, so I've linked the campus map: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/traffic_parki ... arking.php. This should give adequate guidelines for parking and locations. Tip: I'd suggest parking in either the Terrace Place or Wesley Place garages, which are about 7-10 minutes from Buttrick, but free and likely large enough, as opposed to the reserved lots that surround the area.

Questions:
This tournament will use NAQT's Invitational Series set 134. Questions are 20/20 format with 20 tossups in a round accompanied each by a 3-part, 30 point bonus. Powers and negs are in play with no bouncebacks, and we will probably skip comp math.

Affiliation:
The top 15% of the field will qualify for the HSNCT or High School National Championship Tournament hosted by NAQT in Rosemont, IL! With 32 teams, this is the top 5 teams in the field.
Edit: Also, this tournament is PACE Platinum certified! This means that the top 8 teams will qualify for the PACE National Scholastics Championship in the Reston outside Washington, D.C.

Format:
This tournament will use the 20 tossup/20 bonus format. Preliminary brackets will be seeded and then playoff brackets will be determined based on record. All teams will be offered a minimum of EDIT:10 games. Rounds will not be timed, but we will need to get through most of the 14 packets so no round should be longer than 35 minutes. Statistics will be kept in full. Trophies will be awarded to the top (likely four) teams, and book prizes will be awarded to the top individual scorers. The Vanderbilt team reserves the right to cap the field based on availability of space and staff; the final cap is Edit: 32! teams.

Fees:
Base fee: $80 per first team, $70 per second team, so on. There is no limit to the number of teams who can attend from one school, but schools sending more than two teams are REQUIRED to provide a competent staffer. This will change if we get more than 15 or so total staffers.
Buzzer discount: $10 off school's total fee for each fully functional system (control unit and eight activators all work). There is no limit to the number of systems you can bring. Bring tape if any latching tabs are broken. As such we cannot give you the discount if your system doesn't work when you bring it to us.
Staffer/Moderator discount: $10 off school's total fee. Coaches, parents, and students all count so long as they don't play. Volunteering staffers will likely keep score, and they must stay through all the games (except finals) in order to receive credit for their school. There is no limit to the number of staffers you can bring.
Travel: $10 off the school's fee for every 150 miles traveled one-way from your school's address to Vanderbilt University, according to Google Maps.
Minimum fee: The minimum fee is $40.
Have not competed in a pyramidal, ACF- or NAQT-style tournament in the past two (2) years: $40 off per team (schools that claim this discount have no minimum fee).

For this tournament, you MUST e-mail us at [email protected] with:
  • 1. The number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you intend to bring,
    2. An email address where you can be contacted with details,
    3. A cell phone number belonging to someone who will be attending the tournament, so that we can track you down if you are running late.

Anything that is not an email to [email protected] (Facebook PM, email to my personal account, forum post/PM) will only be taken as an expression of interest and I will verify with coaches if they actually want to register. However, feel free to contact us if you need anything. If you know of any schools that would like to attend, just forward them the link to this announcement or the email I've sent that also contains this entire announcement!

Payment:
We prefer payment on the day of, but feel free to send checks to us ahead of time (Email us for the address to send the check to!) All teams must pay by 2/22/14. Cash, personal checks, funds from an organization, or checks are all fine. Purchase orders, credit cards, Paypal, or anything else that we can't process will not be counted as payment and you will have to pay late fees of 25$. All checks must be made out to "Vanderbilt Quiz Bowl". If you need a pre-tournament invoice or W-9 form in order to have a check written, you must let us know by February 1st, so that we can send you the paperwork in time and so your payment can be on time.

Team size:
If you bring more than six players for one team, you need to register a second team to have all students play. Chances for substitutions always occur after Bonus 10 in each round (half-time), and if your moderator doesn't ask you, just briefly tell them the name of the player(s) you are substituting in/out. Each player may appear on only one team's roster throughout the day, and we will keep stats as such. Teams with one to four players are welcome.

Food:
Neither breakfast nor lunch (and definitely not dinner, because we won't be going that late) will be provided. However, here's a list of places, from fast-food to sit-down, that are open during lunch break which will likely be around an hour. Note: these are NOT in order of distance from Buttrick, and some are about a 15 minute walk, but Jimmy John's, Moe's, and Quiznos, San Antonio Taco Company, Panera, and Subway are closest to Buttrick.
  1. Along West End
    Taco Bell
    Checkers
    Amerigo's
    Five Guys
    Jason's Deli
    Jack in the Box
    Qdoba
    TGI Friday's
    Jimmy Johns
    Moe's
    PF Chang's
    Bread & Company
    Wendy's
    J. Alexander's
  • Along 21st Ave S
    San Antonio Taco Company
    Panera
    Subway
    Chipotle
    Mellow Mushroom
    Wendy's
Please email me if you have any further questions. I'm looking forward to seeing a wide variety of teams from Tennessee and surrounding states on the 22nd!
I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Rohan Nag
Member/Logistics, Vanderbilt Quiz Bowl

List of registered teams, buzzers, staffers (32 total, 16 buzzers, 12 staffers):
Ballard High [KY] (1,0,1)
Baylor School (1,1,0)
Blackman High (1,0,0)
Bolton High (2,0,0)
Brentwood High (1,1,0)
Calloway County High [KY] (3,1,2)
Central Magnet (1,1,0)
Eastern High [KY] (1,1,0)
Ezell-Harding (2,2,0)
Farragut High (1,2,0)
Germantown High (2,1,1)
Glasgow High [KY] (1,0,0)
Itawamba High [MS] (1,1,0)
Lawrence County High (1,0,0)
Lincoln County High (1,0,0)
L&N STEM Academy (2,0,0)
Mercy Academy [KY] (1,0,0)
Morristown-Hamblen West High (1,0,0)
Munford High (1,2,1)
Paintsville High [KY] (1,2,1)
Tupelo High [MS] (1,0,2)
University School of Nashville (3,1,1)
White Station High (2,0,1)
Last edited by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 99 times in total.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
kidclone
Kimahri

Re: Vanderbilt ABC 43 [VHSL], 2/22/14

Post by kidclone »

Shameless interest post:
Farragut 1-2 teams
Lam Tran
Farragut '14
Tempers the ambitions of Karl Smith
Wakka

Re: Vanderbilt ABC 43 [IS-134], 2/22/14

Less than a week in and we're already more than half-full!
With enough staff/moderators, we have expanded our field to 24 teams, which leaves 11 spots to fill.
Please keep sending in registrations, staff, and buzzers!
Last edited by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin on Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
Wakka

One more major change:
This tournament is now using IS-134, supplied by NAQT. We will be using negs (-5) and powers (15) and keeping complete statistics as we usually do at ABC.
Note to teams: fortunately, this won't affect EDIT: (m)any of you. Come to Vanderbilt anyway and play some great teams!
Last edited by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

The nearest uses of IS #134 are Cedar Shoals (GA) and Louisville (KY).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Wakka

Note: there are only EDIT: 1 spot left in this field and there are a possible EDIT: 9 teams who have expressed interest but haven't confirmed yet!
We probably wouldn't be able to do a field expansion above 24 teams, so get those registrations in before Winter Break, which is when I personally suspect the field will fill up!
EDIT: We are considering expanding the field but only after we get confirmations from staffers and volunteers who intend to moderate.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
Wakka

Since the field is now full (temporarily we hope), I am putting any teams that confirm (such as Lincoln County) on a temporary waitlist in order of their registration.
Next possible field cap: 32 teams
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
Wakka

We are now PACE Platinum Certified!
This means that the top 8 teams will qualify for the PACE National Scholastics Championship, as reflected in the original post. Further details are here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =2&t=14720 and here: http://www.pace-nsc.org/2014-nsc-washington-dc/. The top 5 will still also qualify for the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament (http://www.naqt.com/hsnct/2014/details.html).
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
bsrich00
Lulu

Post by bsrich00 »

Hey Rohan,

Do you have any more spots available? Ballard HS from Louisville is interested in having one team.

Thanks,
Bryan
Bryan Rich
Ballard HS
Louisville, KY
Wakka

Hey Bryan,
Unfortunately, the field is completely full. I have added Ballard to the waitlist, but there is no guarantee of getting in the field.
I will try my best to get more rooms, as I only have 16 at this point, but it may or may not work.

Side-note: if you can't attend ABC, you should look into this: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =1&t=15483 ! I have lots of room there.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
Wakka

We have expanded to 36 teams, which is the maximum based on the number of rooms we have!
EDIT: Back down to 32 teams and everyone is now in. Logistics emails have been sent out.
Bryan-I have emailed you the details for ABC and your team has been added to the field, which is now fairly stable.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
Wakka

This happened! Aside from a team and a staffer showing up late, every team got the promised 10 rounds done by ~4:30ish.
Ezell-Harding A won the tournament and went undefeated, USN A went 10-2 to claim second, Glasgow took third, and Farragut fourth.
The top scorers were Kai Smith (Farragut), Jack Zhang (Ballard), and EDIT: Griffin Ray (Ezell-Harding A)- the stats were fixed.
I'd also like to note the high power ratios by the top few teams of this tournament.

EDIT- The prelims are up here with significant help from Nick Conder.
I will get the scoresheets and manually enter playoff stats by the end of this week.
The file on the database is messed up- we know.
Last edited by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin on Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
gimmedatguudsuccrose
Wakka

Post by gimmedatguudsuccrose »

According to the stats, Griffin is 3rd individually.
χ Smith
FHS '15
Chicago '19
Church51907
Wakka

Post by Church51907 »

Who finished 5th and 6th? Both spots qualified for HSNCT right?
Matt Church
U of L
Matt Church
University of Louisville
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

How are the playoff stats coming along?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Wakka

I'll post them as soon as I get all the scoresheets (by Wednesday).
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
jagluski
Wakka

Post by jagluski »

Church51907 wrote:Who finished 5th and 6th? Both spots qualified for HSNCT right?
Matt Church
U of L

I think it's only the top 5 (32*.15=4.8). Do we know who finished 5th yet? This would be helpful in determining qualification from the Kentucky State Championship last weekend.

Thanks,

Joel Gluskin

EDITED: To fix verb form typo
Joel Gluskin
WUSTL '04
NAQT Vice President for Logistics
Wakka

I'm so sorry for the delays; the scoresheets aren't where they were supposed to be and various people kept them in other places. I will have them Monday so stats should be posted then (and the order resolved, although Ballard is already in the HSNCT field).
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
jagluski
Wakka

Post by jagluski »

Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin wrote:I'm so sorry for the delays; the scoresheets aren't where they were supposed to be and various people kept them in other places. I will have them Monday so stats should be posted then (and the order resolved, although Ballard is already in the HSNCT field).
Ballard is already in the field, but this is holding up how they qualified (whether as the highest non-qualifer from state or from this tournament). The resolution to this decision will affect another team's potential qualification, so as soon as we can get the standings, that would be greatly appreciated.
Joel Gluskin
WUSTL '04
NAQT Vice President for Logistics
Wakka

So I told this to Jeff as well:

1) Ezell-Harding A
2) USN A
3) Glasgow
4) Farragut
5t) White Station A
5t) White Station B
--teams above this line qualified for HSNCT--
t6) Ballard
t6) Louisville Eastern
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
fett0001
Tidus

Post by fett0001 »

Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin wrote:I'm so sorry for the delays; the scoresheets aren't where they were supposed to be and various people kept them in other places. I will have them Monday so stats should be posted then (and the order resolved, although Ballard is already in the HSNCT field).
I don't think I understand this statement.

Why wouldn't whomever is supposed to have them collect them at the tournament?
Mike Hundley
PACE Member
Virginia Tech
Wakka

The wrong person picked up some of the scoresheets on accident and I had to ask him to get them back to me (this is also spring break, and he isn't in Nashville until Monday).
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
Wakka

After about 100 corrections, stats are here:
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /combined/
Enjoy!
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13